November 22, 1962 |
Westfield, Massachusetts, US
|Instruments||Guitar, bass, keyboards, programming|
|Associated acts||Fates Warning, OSI|
Jim Matheos (November 22, 1962, Westfield, Massachusetts, United States), is an American guitarist and the primary songwriter for the progressive metal band Fates Warning, in which he has been the only consistent member since the group's beginning. Matheos also plays in OSI alongside Kevin Moore (Chroma Key, ex-Dream Theater), as well as making other appearances with many various bands and artists.
In 2003, Matheos collaborated with original Fates Warning vocalist John Arch on 2003's A Twist of Fate, Arch's first professional recording since leaving Fates Warning in 1987. The two later collaborated as Arch/Matheos, releasing a full-length album entitled Sympathetic Resonance in 2011.
On February 17, 2014, Matheos released an experimental guitar album called Halo Effect. It was released by the independent record label Burning Shed.
With Fates Warning
- Night on Bröcken (1984)
- The Spectre Within (1985)
- Awaken the Guardian (1986)
- No Exit (1988) (Reissued 2007)
- Perfect Symmetry (1989)
- Parallels (1991)
- Inside Out (1994)
- Chasing Time (1995)
- A Pleasant Shade of Gray (1997)
- Still Life (1998)
- Disconnected (2000)
- FWX (2004)
- Darkness in a Different Light (2013)
- Theories of Flight (2016)
With Gordian Knot
- Emergent (2003)
With John Arch
- A Twist of Fate (2003)
With John Arch (Arch/Matheos)
With Memories of Machines
- Warm Winter (2011)
Guitar Rig & Signal Flow
A detailed gear diagram of Jim Matheos' 2012 Fates Warning guitar rig is well-documented.
- Huey, Steve. "Biography: Jim Matheos". Allmusic. Retrieved November 13, 2010.
- Taylor, Robert. "Review: First Impressions". Allmusic. Retrieved November 13, 2010.
- Huey, Steve. "Review: Away with Words". Allmusic. Retrieved November 13, 2010.
- Cooper, Adam (November 18, 2011). "Jim Matheos' 2011 Fates Warning Guitar Rig". GuitarGeek.Com