Jim McGovern (British politician)
|This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (September 2014)|
|Member of Parliament
for Dundee West
5 May 2005 – 30 March 2015
|Preceded by||Ernie Ross|
|Succeeded by||Chris Law|
17 November 1956 |
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
McGovern was born in Glasgow but moved to Dundee at the age of 9. He was educated at the Catholic Lawside Academy. He left school at the age of 15 and at the age of 16 began an apprenticeship as a glazier. In 1987, after being made redundant, he worked as a glazier for Dundee City Council. Whilst working for the council he was active within the GMB union. In 1997 he began working full-time for the union as Trade Union Organiser.
He was first elected to the British House of Commons at the 2005 general election for Dundee West with a 14.6% majority, following the retirement of the sitting Labour MP Ernie Ross. Since 2005 he has served on the Scottish Affairs Committee. Between 2007 and 2008 he served as the Parliamentary Private Secretary to Pat McFadden, the Minister of State at the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, before resigning over the row surrounding the privatisation of Royal Mail. He was re-elected in 2010 with a majority of 19.6%.
McGovern lost his appeal against the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority's rejection of a £23.90 single rail ticket from Dundee to Glasgow in April 2013. The Sunday Herald reported that Parliamentary authorities determined that the detour was unconnected to McGovern's official work as an MP. He had been attending a Labour Party event in Glasgow. IPSA revealed that its bill for defending against McGovern's appeal was £27,000, to be met by the taxpayers.
He is married to Norma with two children and lives in the Law part of Dundee.
- "Jim McGovern MP". Democracy Live. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- "Labour MP quits government post". BBC. 17 December 2008. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- Gordon, Tom. "Taxpayers landed with £27,000 legal bill for MP's £23.90 expenses claim". The Sunday Herald. Retrieved 10 December 2016.
- "Jim McGovern MP's train ticket row costs public £27,000". www.telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 7 September 2014.
- "Election 2015: Jim McGovern will not seek re-election". BBC News. 3 April 2015. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- Official website
- Scottish Labour - James McGovern
- Guardian Unlimited Politics - Ask Aristotle: James McGovern MP
- TheyWorkForYou.com - James McGovern MP
- Meet the MP BBC November 2005
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Dundee West
2005 – 2015