Jim Miller (fighter)
|Born||James Andrew Miller
August 30, 1983
Sparta Township, New Jersey
|Height||5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11 st 1 lb)|
|Division||Lightweight (155 lb)|
|Reach||71.0 in (180 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Sparta Township, New Jersey|
|Team||Miller Brothers MMA|
|Rank||Black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Jamie Cruz
Black belt in Tae Kwon Do
|Wrestling||NCAA division 1 wrestler|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Notable relatives||Dan Miller (brother)|
|Notable school(s)||Sparta High School|
|Website||Official UFC Profile http://www.millerbrothersmma.com/|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
James Andrew "Jim" Miller (born August 30, 1983) is an American mixed martial artist. He is currently a competitor in the UFC's lightweight division. He is the younger brother of former UFC fighter Dan Miller.
Born and raised in Sparta Township, New Jersey and the youngest of three brothers, Miller began training in Tae Kwon Do at the age of eight and then received his black belt at the age of ten. Miller then competed in wrestling in high school at Sparta High School, as well as one year of collegiate wrestling at Virginia Tech. Miller had not originally planned on wrestling at Virginia Tech, but his desire to compete again grew and he made the team as a walk-on later into the season. However, Miller did not continue competing for the school because of "disagreements" with the coaching staff and the program. He currently holds a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Jamie Cruz. Miller began training in mixed martial arts in 2005, when he began training at Planet Jiu Jitsu in Sparta, New Jersey with his brother Dan Miller.
Mixed martial arts career
Miller had his first professional fight on November 19, 2005 against Eddie Fyvie at Reality Fighting 10. Miller controlled the fight and earned a unanimous decision. Miller earned two more victories in the promotion over Kevin Roddy and Joe Andujar, both via first round submission. The quick victories earned Miller a title shot and he fought Muhsin Corbbrey for the Reality Fighting Lightweight Championship. Miller mounted Corrbrey in the second round and battered his opponent before securing an armbar for the victory. In his first title defense, Miller took on future UFC Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar at Reality Fighting 14. Edgar controlled the fight, but Miller secured a tight guillotine late in the final round. Edgar fought through the choke to earn the unanimous decision.
Miller debuted with the Cage Fury Fighting Championships in a Lightweight Championship bout on April 13, 2007 against Evo Fight Club's Al Buck. Jim fought on the same card as his brother for the first time since Reality Fighting XII and both were victorious. Miller and Buck squared off, but were forced to separate early after an accidental knee to Buck's groin. When the fight resumed, Miller began working for a takedown and after escaping an attempted guillotine, secured a slam, from which he quickly attained the mount and then the back, sinking in a rear-naked choke for the win.
Miller defended his title for the first time at Cage Fury Fighting Championships 5 against Atlantic City MMA's Anthony Morrison. Morrison delivered some big slams early, but Miller worked through a chain of submissions before securing the victory by triangle choke at 4:56 of the first round to retain his title.
Miller's second defense was scheduled for the Cage Fury Fighting Championships 6 card, where he was to face King of the Cage Champion Clay French, but the event was cancelled a week prior to the event, when a primary investor dropped out.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Miller next acted as a late replacement for Frankie Edgar against Matt Wiman at UFC: Fight for the Troops. Miller dominated Wiman for three rounds, winning via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26).
Miller was scheduled to face Thiago Tavares on September 19, 2009 at UFC 103, but Tavares was forced to drop out due to a knee injury suffered while training. UFC newcomer Steve Lopez stepped in to replace Tavares. Both fighters exchanged competitively on the feet, but Miller won after Lopez injured his shoulder in round two.
Miller was expected to face Tyson Griffin on January 2, 2010 at UFC 108, but an injury forced Griffin off the card. Sean Sherk agreed to step up from the undercard and fight Miller, rather than his original opponent in Rafaello Oliveira. However, Sherk pulled out of the fight because of a cut that required many stitches; returning veteran Duane Ludwig was named as Sherk's replacement. Miller looked comfortable and sharp on his feet exchanging with the seasoned striker in Ludwig, and scored a knockdown halfway through the round with a fast combination. Miller swarmed to secure an armbar, winning by submission at 2:31 of the first round.
Miller faced highly touted prospect Charles Oliveira on December 11, 2010 at UFC 124. Miller defeated Oliveira via a first round kneebar to extend his winning streak to six and earning the Submission of the Night bonus.
Miller faced Benson Henderson on August 14, 2011 at UFC on Versus 5. He lost the fight via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-26). He later revealed that he was battling kidney infection and mononucleosis when cutting weight for the fight.
On January 20, 2012 he faced Melvin Guillard at UFC on FX 1. After being rocked early by a knee and punches from Guillard in the first round, Miller was able to get the fight to the ground and submit Guillard with a rear naked choke.
Miller next faced Nate Diaz on May 5, 2012 in the main event on UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller. He lost the fight via submission, for the first time in his professional career, in the second round due to a guillotine choke.
Miller faced Joe Lauzon on December 29, 2012 at UFC 155, replacing an injured Gray Maynard. He won the fight via unanimous decision, with the performance earning both participants Fight of the Night honors. The win also gave Miller the most all-time wins in UFC lightweight history.
Miller faced Pat Healy on April 27, 2013 at UFC 159. He lost the back-and-forth fight by submission in the third round. Despite the loss, the bout earned Miller his third - and second consecutive - Fight of the Night bonus. Healy, however, subsequently tested positive for marijuana and the result of the fight was overturned to a No Contest.
Miller was expected to face Bobby Green on April 26, 2014 at UFC 172. However, in the week leading up to the event, Green pulled out of the bout citing an injury and was replaced by Yancy Medeiros. Miller won the fight via submission in the first round.
Miller was expected to face Paul Felder on April 18, 2015 at UFC on Fox 15. However, Felder was forced to pull out of the event due to a knee injury and was replaced by Beneil Dariush. Miller lost the fight by unanimous decision.
Miller faced Michael Chiesa on December 10, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 80. He lost the bout via submission in the second round. Despite the loss, Miller was awarded his fourth Fight of the Night bonus award.
After sustaining virtually no damage during his previous fight, Miller was quickly rescheduled to rematch Joe Lauzon on August 27, 2016 at UFC on Fox 21. He won the back-and-forth fight via split decision. The win also earned Miller his fifth Fight of the Night bonus award.
Jim was married in 2008. The couple has two children their first child born in June 2010. Prior to their careers in mixed martial arts, Jim and his brother Dan worked in construction with their father. In early 2012 Miller had a bit part in popular fantasy-drama Game of Thrones as an unnamed warlock.
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- United States Kickboxing Association
- Cage Fury Fighting Championships
- Cage Fury Fighting Championships Lightweight Championship
- One successful title defense
- Reality Fighting
- Reality Fighting Lightweight Championship
- 2012 All-Violence First Team
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|36 matches||27 wins||8 losses|
|Win||27–8 (1)||Joe Lauzon||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Maia vs. Condit||August 27, 2016||3||5:00||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||26–8 (1)||Takanori Gomi||TKO (punches)||UFC 200||July 9, 2016||1||2:18||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||25–8 (1)||Diego Sanchez||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 196||March 5, 2016||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||25–7 (1)||Michael Chiesa||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Namajunas vs. VanZant||December 10, 2015||2||2:57||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||25–6 (1)||Danny Castillo||Decision (split)||UFC on Fox: Dillashaw vs. Barão 2||July 25, 2015||3||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Loss||24–6 (1)||Beneil Dariush||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Machida vs. Rockhold||April 18, 2015||3||5:00||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||24–5 (1)||Donald Cerrone||KO (head kick and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Cerrone vs. Miller||July 16, 2014||2||3:31||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||24–4 (1)||Yancy Medeiros||Technical Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 172||April 26, 2014||1||3:18||Baltimore, Maryland, United States|
|Win||23–4 (1)||Fabrício Camões||Submission (armbar)||UFC 168||December 28, 2013||1||3:42||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|NC||22–4 (1)||Pat Healy||NC (overturned)||UFC 159||April 27, 2013||3||4:02||Newark, New Jersey, United States||Fight of the Night. Originally a submission (rear-naked choke) win for Healy; overturned after he tested positive for marijuana.|
|Win||22–4||Joe Lauzon||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 155||December 29, 2012||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||21–4||Nate Diaz||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC on Fox: Diaz vs. Miller||May 5, 2012||2||4:09||East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States||UFC Lightweight title eliminator.|
|Win||21–3||Melvin Guillard||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on FX: Guillard vs. Miller||January 20, 2012||1||2:04||Nashville, Tennessee, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Loss||20–3||Benson Henderson||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Hardy vs. Lytle||August 14, 2011||3||5:00||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Win||20–2||Kamal Shalorus||TKO (knee and punches)||UFC 128||March 19, 2011||3||2:15||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||19–2||Charles Oliveira||Submission (kneebar)||UFC 124||December 11, 2010||1||1:59||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||18–2||Gleison Tibau||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Marquardt vs. Palhares||September 15, 2010||3||5:00||Austin, Texas, United States|
|Win||17–2||Mark Bocek||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 111||March 27, 2010||3||5:00||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||16–2||Duane Ludwig||Submission (armbar)||UFC 108||January 2, 2010||1||2:31||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15–2||Steve Lopez||TKO (shoulder injury)||UFC 103||September 19, 2009||2||0:48||Dallas, Texas, United States|
|Win||14–2||Mac Danzig||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 100||July 11, 2009||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||13–2||Gray Maynard||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 96||March 7, 2009||3||5:00||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Win||13–1||Matt Wiman||Decision (unanimous)||UFC: Fight for the Troops||December 10, 2008||3||5:00||Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||12–1||David Baron||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 89||October 18, 2008||3||3:19||Birmingham, England||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||11–1||Bart Palaszewski||Decision (unanimous)||IFL: New Jersey||May 16, 2008||3||5:00||East Rutherford, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||10–1||Chris Liguori||Submission (guillotine choke)||Ring of Combat 18||March 7, 2008||2||2:22||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||9–1||Chris Liguori||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Ring of Combat 17: Beast of the Northeast Finals||November 30, 2007||2||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||8–1||Nuri Shakir||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Battle Cage Xtreme 3||October 20, 2007||3||2:17||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Won the USKBA Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||7–1||Anthony Morrison||Submission (triangle choke)||CFFC 5: Two Worlds, One Cage||June 23, 2007||1||4:56||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Defended the CF Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||6–1||Al Buck||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Cage Fury Fighting Championships 4||April 13, 2007||1||1:58||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Won the CF Lightweight Championship.|
|Loss||5–1||Frankie Edgar||Decision (unanimous)||Reality Fighting 14: Fall Brawl||November 18, 2006||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States||Lost the RF Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0||James Jones||Submission (triangle choke)||Combat in the Cage: Marked Territory||September 30, 2006||2||1:55||Lincroft, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||4–0||Muhsin Corbbrey||Submission (armbar)||RF 13: Battle at the Beach 2006||August 5, 2006||2||3:35||Wildwood, New Jersey, United States||Won the RF Lightweight Championship.|
|Win||3–0||Joseph Andujar||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Reality Fighting 12: Return to Boardwalk Hall||April 29, 2006||1||1:04||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||2–0||Kevin Roddy||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Reality Fighting 11: Battle at Taj Mahal||February 11, 2006||1||N/A||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||1–0||Eddie Fyvie||Decision (unanimous)||Reality Fighting 10||November 19, 2005||2||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Dillashaw vs. Barao 2". UFC.com. Retrieved July 26, 2015.
- "Fight Card - UFC 172 Jones vs. Teixeira". UFC.com. Retrieved May 3, 2014.
- "Jim Miller Receives BJJ Black Belt From Jamie Cruz". MMAWeekly.com. July 12, 2010.
- Robert Rousseau. "Jim Miller - Biography and Profile of Jim Miller". About.com Sports.
- McCullough, Andy. "Ex-Sparta High wrestlers Jim and Dan Miller make UFC a family affair", The Star-Ledger, March 26, 2010. Accessed June 28, 2011
- "Sparta's Jim Miller receives BJJ black belt". WHIG.com. 2010-07-13. Retrieved 2010-07-13.
- UFC signs IFL champ Dan Miller and brother Jim Miller | MMAjunkie.com
- John Morgan. "Thiago Tavares suffers knee injury, forced to withdraw from UFC 103 bout with Jim Miller".
- "Tyson Griffin vs. Jim Miller in the works for UFC 108 lightweight contest in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- ""UFC 108: Evans vs. Silva" takes another hit; lightweight Tyson Griffin out". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- "Sean Sherk promoted to "UFC 108: Evans vs. Silva" main card, faces Jim Miller". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-12-11.
- "Report: Sean Sherk out at UFC 108, Duane Ludwig returns to face Jim Miller". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2009-12-18.
- John Morgan. "Mark Bocek vs. Jim Miller targeted for March's UFC 111 in New Jersey".
- "MILLER VS TIBAU SEPT. 15, TUF 12 DEBUT EXPECTED". MMAWeekly.com. 2010-05-24.
- "MILLER VS. OLIVEIRA ADDED TO UFC 124". MMAWeekly.com. 2010-10-06.
- "Jim Miller Set to Face Kamal Shalorus at UFC 128 in New Jersey". MMAWeekly.com. 2010-12-30.
- "Jim Miller Faces Ben Henderson in a Lightweight Bout at UFC on Versus 5". MMAWeekly.com. May 11, 2011.
- Adam Guillen Jr. "Jim Miller battled kidney infection and mononucleosis during Ben Henderson fight". MMAmania.com.
- "Melvin Guillard vs. Jim Miller headlines UFC on FX 1 event". mmajunkie.com. 2011-11-17.
- "Nate Diaz vs. Jim Miller booked for UFC on FOX 3 in New Jersey". mmajunkie.com. January 24, 2012. Retrieved January 24, 2012.
- "Gray Maynard injured, Jim Miller steps in to face Joe Lauzon at UFC 155". mmajunkie.com. November 14, 2012.
- "Jim Miller vs. Strikeforce import Pat Healy booked for UFC 159 in New Jersey". mmajunkie.com. January 29, 2013.
- Staff (2013-04-27). "UFC 159 bonuses: Roy Nelson, Pat Healy and Jim Miller score $65,000 awards". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-27.
- Staff (2013-04-27). "UFC 159 bonuses: Roy Nelson, Pat Healy and Jim Miller score $65,000 awards". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-27.
- Thomas Gerbasi (2014-02-07). "Miller vs. Green to kick of 172 main card". UFC.com. Retrieved 2014-02-07.
- Jamie Penick (2014-04-20). "With Bobby Green injured, UFC 172 shakes up lightweight bouts with Miller-Medeiros and Ellenberger-Rocha now booked". mmatorch.com. Retrieved 2014-04-20.
- Cole, Ross (26 April 2014). "Jim Miller Chokes Yancy Medeiros Unconscious At UFC 172". Fight of the Night. Retrieved 27 April 2014.
- Staff (2014-05-02). "Donald Cerrone vs. Jim Miller headlines UFC Fight Night 45 in New Jersey". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-05-02.
- Dann Stupp (2014-07-16). "UFC Fight Night 45 results: Donald Cerrone floors Jim Miller with head-kick KO". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-07-16.
- Scott Harris (2015-01-15). "Jim Miller vs. Paul Felder Set for UFC on Fox 15 in April". bleacherreport.com. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- Staff (2015-03-27). "Beneil Dariush in for injured Paul Felder vs. Jim Miller at UFC on FOX 15 in Newark". mmajunkie.com.
- Stevenm Marrocco (2015-04-18). "UFC on FOX 15 results: Beneil Dariush outworks Jim Miller for decision victory". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-04-18.
- Staff (2015-06-21). "Jim Miller replaces Rustam Khabilov at UFC on FOX 16 in Chicago". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-21.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-07-25). "UFC on FOX 16 results: Jim Miller edges Danny Castillo in razor-thin matchup". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-25.
- Elias Cepeda (2015-09-09). "Jim Miller vs. Michael Chiesa targeted for Dec. 10 UFC Fight Pass card". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-09-09.
- Ben Fowlkes (2015-12-10). "UFC Fight Night 80 results: Michael Chiesa submits Jim Miller with second-round choke". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-10.
- Staff (2015-12-11). "UFC Fight Night 80 bonuses: Namajunas earns $50,000 for domination of VanZant". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-12.
- Staff (2016-01-20). "Diego Sanchez meets Jim Miller at UFC 196". 5thround.com. Retrieved 2016-01-20.
- Steven Marrocco (2016-03-05). "UFC 196 results: Diego Sanchez edges Jim Miller in competitive battle of veterans". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-05.
- Tim Burke (2016-03-31). "Takanori Gomi vs. Jim Miller set for UFC 200". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2016-03-31.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-07-11). "UFC 200 results: Jim Miller makes easy work of Takanori Gomi with first-round TKO". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-07-11.
- Jesse Holland (2016-07-19). "UFC on FOX 21: Jim Miller vs Joe Lauzon rematch set for Aug. 27 in Vancouver". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-08-27). "UFC on FOX 21 results: Jim Miller takes split decision from Joe Lauzon in rematch of 2012 classic". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- Tristan Critchfield (2016-08-27). "UFC on Fox 21 bonuses: Maia, VanZant, Miller, Lauzon receive $50K". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- Staff (2016-09-19). "Miller fills Al Iaquinta's spot at UFC 205, takes on Thiago Alves". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-09-19.
- "NO HESITATION, JIM MILLER STEPS UP LAST MINUTE". MMAWeekly.com. 2008-12-06. Retrieved 2008-12-09.
- "Simple Man Not Satisfied". Sherdog.com. 2011-08-09. Retrieved 2011-08-10.
- "BattleCage Xtreme III: detailed results and recap". Five Ounces of Pain.
- TheGARV Talks with USKBA Champ Jim Miller and AMA Fight Club. YouTube. 21 October 2007.
- "First Team". sherdog.com.