Jim Mitchell (cartoonist)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
April 28, 1949
|Area(s)||Cartoonist, Writer, Artist|
Jim Mitchell (born April 28, 1949) is an American underground cartoonist from Milwaukee. Mitchell was part of the late-1960s/early-1970s Milwaukee underground comix scene and a co-founder of the Krupp Comics/Kitchen Sink group (with Denis Kitchen and Don Glassford).
In the early 1970s, Mitchell (then a Marquette University student) regularly created strips such as "Smile" for the underground newspaper The Bugle, which were subsequently syndicated to other underground and college newspapers via the Krupp Syndicate. His strips (and covers) appeared in The Bugle; in three issues of his own comic, Smile (1971-1972); and in other comix, including Teen-Age Horizons of Shangrila, Mom's Homemade Comics, Bizarre Sex, Pro Junior, and Hungry Chuck Biscuit's Comics & Stories.
Mitchell was imprisoned in Mexico for four and a half years which prevented his involvement in the further evolution of the underground scene, but was released in late 1977.
He now runs his own full-service art studio, Distant Thunder Studios, in Milwaukee.
- Acton, Jay, Le Mond, Alan, and Hodges, Parker. Mug Shots: Who's Who in the New Earth World Publishing: 1972; pp. 121, 150.
- Schreiner, Dave. Kitchen Sink Press, the First 25 Years. Northampton, MA: Kitchen Sink Press, 1994; p. 14 et seq.
- Kitchen, Denis. "Notes on the Underground... Confessions of an Underground Comics Publisher." Funnyworld #13 (Spring 1971), p. 30
- A History of Underground Comics; Mark James Estren. 3rd ed. (Berkeley, CA. : Ronin, 1993)
- Encyclopédie des bandes dessinées; Marjorie Alessandrini, ed. (Paris: A Michel, 1986)
- Mitchell's Distant Thunder Studios homepage
- Mitchell's art in the Michigan State University Libraries Comic Art Collection
|This profile of an American cartoonist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|