Jim Norton (comedian)
Jim Norton, after a performance at Helium Comedy Club in Portland, Oregon, on Feb 25, 2011
|Birth name||James Joseph Norton, Jr.|
July 19, 1968 |
Bayonne, New Jersey
|Medium||Stand-up, radio, television|
|Genres||Cringe humor, black comedy, satire, observational comedy|
|Subject(s)||Human sexuality, self-deprecation|
|Influences||George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Robert Klein|
|Notable works and roles||Opie and Anthony
Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn
Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld
The Jay Leno Show
James Joseph "Jim" Norton, Jr. (born July 19, 1968) is an American comedian, radio personality, author, and actor. He is the co-host of the Opie with Jim Norton show with Gregg Hughes, which airs on Sirius XM Radio and was previously the third mic on The Opie & Anthony Show. Norton has appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, the Late Show with David Letterman, and Jimmy Kimmel Live. He has filmed a HBO stand-up special for the series One Night Stand as well as his special "Monster Rain", co-starred in the short-lived HBO sitcom Lucky Louie, and had cameos in the films Spider-Man, Zack and Miri Make a Porno, and Courting Condi.
Norton hosted a four-episode stand-up showcase for HBO titled Down and Dirty with Jim Norton and appeared on The Comedy Central Roast of Bob Saget. He hosted the VICE talk-show The Jim Norton Show. He was also in Jerry Seinfeld's 2002 documentary Comedian. Norton was a regular guest on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
Norton dropped out of high school in his senior year. Following a failed suicide attempt by slitting his wrists at age 18, he entered rehab, for alcohol abuse. A couple of years later he attended Middlesex County College, and a year later he obtained his GED, after being sober for around three years.
Norton became a regular guest on The Opie & Anthony Show on WNEW in late 2000 after several guest appearances by himself, and along with Andrew Dice Clay. In 2000, Norton was arrested with Lewis Black and show producer Rick Delgado in connection with a stunt named "Teen Voyeur Bus" involving a transparent bus full of topless women driving through Manhattan streets. This bus rode around Manhattan while being broadcast on the "Opie and Anthony" radio show. Radio station management did not inform the O&A show that the bus' route was also the route that President Clinton was taking that same day.
On October 9, 2008, it was reported that Norton was being sued by Roy Den Hollander over his treatment during a phone interview on the Opie & Anthony Show. On August 28, 2009, the New York Post reported that Hollander would drop his suit if Norton would also drop his motion to have Hollander sanctioned for filing a baseless claim, as well as being forced to pay Norton's legal fees.
On December 2, 2009, when The Opie & Anthony Show hosted former Governor of Minnesota Jesse Ventura, an argument between Norton and Ventura erupted while the discussion was on the September 11 attacks (the official account of which Ventura questions) and the "counter-terrorism" measures against illegal immigration. Ventura was arguing against what he claimed was the Border Patrol practice of stopping individuals and asking for ID deep within US borders, claiming that such actions were unconstitutional. At some point, when Norton disagreed with him on this, Ventura suggested that Norton did not believe in the Constitution, to which Norton strongly objected. Soon after, as the argument became more heated, Ventura walked off the air and the two exchanged explicit comments towards each other.
On May 27, 2010, The Jim Norton Show premiered on Raw Dog Comedy. Norton hosts the program, which features other comedians as well as clips of live stand-up.
Jim Norton debuted an internet based talk show on the video streaming channel VICE in June of 2014. Guest include comedians such as Dave Attell, Whitney Cummings, Gilbert Gottfried. Additionally he has had Mike Tyson, Dana White and Freeway Rick Ross.
On July 3, 2014, Anthony Cumia was fired by SiriusXM, after making a series of tweets following an alleged off-air incident with a black woman on the street. Cumia tweeted that he was punched by the woman while attempting to take a picture in Times Square. The tweets were described by Sirius XM as "racially-charged and hate-filled". Opie and Jim Norton continued without Anthony Cumia, on the new Opie with Jim Norton show. Cumia launched a subscription video podcast shortly thereafter named The Anthony Cumia Show. On September 30, 2014 Opie and Jim Norton announced that the pair will remain at SiriusXM. Their radio show was later named Opie Radio by SiriusXM.
For two years, Norton was a regular on Comedy Central's Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn and he was selected to be among the final twenty contestants for the second season of Last Comic Standing, but had to back out due to contractual obligations.
Norton's first half-hour HBO stand-up special aired on October 21, 2005, as part of the HBO Stand-up Series One Night Stand. In the spring of 2007, Norton filmed his second HBO stand-up special which aired live on October 13, 2007. In 2006, Norton landed the role of Rich on the HBO series Lucky Louie. Rich is a foul-mouthed, perverted, "ill-informed", straight shooting character who lives with his mother and deals pot to high schoolers for a living, departing from the traditionally tamer sitcom model of a supporting character.
In June 2008, Norton appeared in several episodes of The Gong Show with Dave Attell as one of the celebrity judges. Since mid-2007, Norton has been a regular guest on Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld on the Fox News Channel. On June 21, 2010, Norton guest-hosted Red Eye. Norton has also appeared regularly as a correspondent for The Jay Leno Show as Jim Norton: The Uninvited Guest. Starting in 2010, Norton began appearing in Louis CK's FX sitcom, Louie.
Norton frequently tours the United States, performing at well-known comedy clubs. In 2004, Norton was voted best comedian and breakthrough performer of the year on the Cringe Humor website, which is dedicated to some prominent New York comedians. Norton frequently performs at Caroline's and the Comedy Cellar. Norton was the Best Man at Rich Vos's 2005 wedding to Bonnie McFarlane. Dom Irrera has described Norton as one of today's best comedians. He returned to the 2007 tour as well.
In February 2007, it was learned on The Opie & Anthony Show that Norton was close to finishing a book believed to be an autobiographical collection of stories, and anecdotes from his childhood and his comedy career. The final title of the book was Happy Endings: The Tales of a Meaty-Breasted Zilch. The book was released on July 10, 2007. It reached No. 4 on the New York Times Best Seller list for hardcover nonfiction. The book entered the Amazon.com Top 10 for books on the day it was released, peaking at #7.
Norton's second book I Hate Your Guts came out on November 4, 2008. It reached No. 13 on the New York Times Bestseller list for hardcover nonfiction.
Norton has had various cameo appearances such as in the 2002 film Spider-Man and the 2008 film Zack and Miri Make a Porno. Norton described the role in Spider-Man as being a quarter-step above being an extra. He has also appeared in the films Furry Vengeance and Cop Out.
|2003||Yellow Discipline||Recorded at The Stress Factory in New Brunswick, New Jersey|
|2005||Trinkets I Own Made from Gorilla Hands||Recorded at The Stress Factory in New Brunswick, New Jersey|
|2011||Despicable||Recorded at The Stress Factory in New Brunswick, New Jersey|
|2012||No Baby For You!|
|2005||One Night Stand: Jim Norton||30 minute HBO special|
|2007||Monster Rain||Recorded at The Lincoln Theater in Washington, D.C.|
|2009||Down and Dirty with Jim Norton||Stand-up showcase, hosted by Norton|
|2012||Please Be Offended||1 hr EPIX special recorded at Ohio Theatre in Cleveland, OH|
|2013||American Degenerate||1 hr EPIX special recorded in Boston|
|2015||Contextually Inadequate||1 hr EPIX special recorded in Boston|
|2007||Happy Endings: Tales of a Meaty-Breasted Zilch||Foreword by Colin Quinn|
|2008||I Hate Your Guts||A collection of 35 venomous essays|
||This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Needs to be converted to a table for cleanliness. (May 2012)|
- 1997: Brokers ...Homeless Guy
- 2000: Sidesplitters: The Burt & Dick Story ...Dick
- 2000: Ed .... (two episodes)
- 2002: Run Ronnie Run ...Police Officer (uncredited)
- 2002: American Dummy .... Eddie Barnum
- 2002: Errors, Freaks & Oddities .... Paul
- 2002: Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn .... Himself
- 2002: Spider-Man .... Surly Truck Driver
- 2006: Crooks....Paul
- 2002: Rock Bottom .... Diesel
- 2003: The Gynecologists ...Sheldrake
- 2006: Lucky Louie (TV) .... Rich
- 2006: Bully (Video Game) .... Officer Morrison
- 2008: Zack and Miri Make a Porno ...Man being interviewed for porn movie
- 2008: Grand Theft Auto IV (Video Game) .... Joseph Kaplan
- 2009: Courting Condi
- 2010: Cop Out
- 2010: Furry Vengeance
- 2015: Trainwreck
- 2016: The Boy
- 2005: One Night Stand (TV) (unknown episodes)
- 2007: Jim Norton: Monster Rain (TV)
- 2012: Jim Norton: Please Be Offended
- 2013: Jim Norton: American Degenerate
- 1998: The Jim Breuer Show ...Himself (1 Episode)
- 2002: Comedian ...Himself
- 2002: Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn (TV) ...Himself (unknown episodes)
- 2004: Meet The Creeps Vol. 1 ...Himself
- 2004: Last Comic Standing ...Himself (1 Episode)
- 2004-11: The Tonight Show with Jay Leno ...Himself
- 2005: One Night Stand ...Himself (Episode #1.10)
- 2006: Late Show with David Letterman ...Himself (1 Episode)
- 2007-12: Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld ...Himself
- 2007: Lucky Louie: A Week In The Life ...Himself (1 Episode)
- 2007: Jimmy Kimmel Live! ...Himself (1 Episode)
- 2007: Jim Norton: Monster Rain (TV) ...Himself
- 2007: Looking for Lenny ...Himself
- 2008: Down and Dirty with Jim Norton (TV) ...Himself
- 2008: The Gong Show with Dave Attell (TV) ...Himself
- 2008: The Comedy Central Roast of Bob Saget (TV Episode)
- 2009-11: Chelsea Lately ...Himself
- 2009: Hannity ...Himself
- 2009: Z Rock ...Himself
- 2010: Louie ...Fictional Version of Himself
- 2011: That Metal Show ...Himself
- 2012: The Burn with Jeff Ross ...Himself
- 2014: Inside Amy Schumer ...Himself
- 2014: @midnight ...Himself (Epidode #156)(Won episode)
- "Jim Norton Filmography". Fandango.com. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- Robb, Adam (February 26, 2011). "Stand-up comic Jim Norton, a Bayonne native, set to return to New Jersey for show at the Wellmont in Montclair", NJ.com; accessed February 10, 2014.
- Calhoun, Ada (2004-04-05). "Did You Hear The One About The @&%#! Comic?". Nymag.com. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- Calhoun, Ada. Did You Hear The One About The @&%#! Comic?:By sinking to new lows, comedy in Liza Minnelli Herself (8 episodes, 1985-2003) New York is rising., New York (magazine), April 5, 2004; accessed January 30, 2013. "On his website, Jim Norton has posted dozens of photos of himself with celebrities as varied as Ozzy Osbourne, LL Cool J, and Laura Bush. He has photos of himself growing up in North Brunswick, New Jersey, under the heading a photographic list of reasons i am obsessed with blowing my brains out."
- "Opie & Anthony: 80-Year-Old Woman Gets GED After 20 Years, 1 of 2". YouTube. 2009-01-11. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "'VoyeurBus' performers to sue NYC over arrest". Retrieved December 1, 2007.
- Martinez, Jose (October 9, 2008). "Lawyer sues 'Opie and Anthony's' Jim Norton for x-rated jokes". Daily News.
- Gregorian, Dareh (2009-08-28). "Fowl ‘Opie’ Lawsuit Settled | New York Post". Nypost.com. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- Huff, Richard. "Jesse Ventura walks off 'Opie & Anthony' show after verbal mud fest with Jim Norton". December 3, 2009. NY Daily News. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- "The Jim Norton Show". VICE. n.d. Retrieved November 2, 2014.
- Todd Leopold, Opie & Anthony's' Anthony Cumia fired over tweets CNN, July 4, 2014.
- Osborne, Spencer (October 2, 2014). "Opie & Jim Norton Stay At Sirius XM". Sirius Buzz. Retrieved November 2, 2014.
- Coleman, Miriam (July 6, 2014). "'Opie & Anthony' Host Anthony Cumia Fired After Racist Twitter Tirade". Rolling Stone. Retrieved November 2, 2014.
- "The Jay Leno Show Taps Comedians To Act As Correspondents". NBC.com. 2009-08-05. Retrieved 2013-11-15.
- "Jim Norton Please Be Offended special review". TheSpitTake.com. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Norton, Jim (2007). Happy Endings: The Tales of a Meaty-Breasted Zilch. Simon Spotlight Entertainment. ISBN 978-1-4169-5022-6.
- "Hardcover Nonfiction". The New York Times. July 29, 2007. Retrieved May 6, 2010.
- "Hardcover Nonfiction – List – NY Times". New York Times. November 14, 2008. Retrieved December 4, 2008.
- Opie and Anthony show 03/27/2012
- "Courting Condi - Sizzle Trailer from CourtingCondi". Funnyordie.com. 2008-11-10. Retrieved 2013-11-15.