Thornton in 2016
|Born||Huntington, West Virginia, U.S.|
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
Early life and career
Born in Huntington, West Virginia, he graduated from Huntington High School in 1983 and then moved to Los Angeles in 1984 where he would start his broadcasting career a year later. He also has a degree in linguistics from Marshall University.
Thornton is best known as the afternoon anchor on all-news radio KNX 1070 in Los Angeles, having been promoted from traffic reporting. He has also announced on Celebrity Deathmatch and did narration in a portion of Monsters, Inc.
Game show announcer
Thornton did substitute announcing work on The Price Is Right following the death of former announcer Rod Roddy. In December 2010, he auditioned for the same role on Wheel of Fortune following the death of the show's announcer Charlie O'Donnell, and was confirmed as the show's new announcer on June 13, 2011. Because of this job, Thornton has scaled back from his job at KNX.
Thornton provided the voice of Johnny Gomez in Celebrity Deathmatch, a Christmas caroler in Rugrats, and the announcer in The Cleveland Show. He also appeared in video games, where he provided additional voice-over work for Hitman: Blood Money and as a DJ in Mafia II.
- Celebrity Deathmatch – Johnny Gomez
- Rugrats – Christmas Caroller
- The Cleveland Show – Announcer, Additional voices
- The Price is Right – Himself – Try-Out Announcer
- The Soup – Himself – Announcer
- Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! – Himself – Announcer
- Wheel of Fortune – Himself – Announcer, Guest Announcer
- KCBS-TV – Himself – Traffic reporter
- Let's Pollute – Narrator
- Monsters, Inc. – Additional voices
- "Jim Thornton". CBS Los Angeles. Archived from the original on 30 December 2010. Retrieved 21 December 2010.
- Henderson-Bentley, Angela (20 January 2011). "Huntington native takes a spin on the 'Wheel'". The Herald-Dispatch. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
- Episode #5336, original air date December 20, 2010
- Henderson-Bentley, Angela (15 June 2011). "Huntington's Jim Thornton realizes lifelong dream on 'Wheel of Fortune'". The Herald-Dispatch. Retrieved 26 September 2011.
| Announcer of Wheel of Fortune
September 19, 2011–