Jim Torrey (born 1940) is a politician in the U.S. state of Oregon. He served as mayor of Eugene from 1997 to 2004. Torrey was nominated in 2006 for an Oregon State Senate seat, but was defeated by incumbent Vicki Walker. Torrey was first elected to public office at the age of 21, when he won a seat on the Waldport city council.
Torrey was a member of the Oregon Republican Party from age 21 until age 67; in 2007, he switched his registration to the newly formed Independent Party of Oregon. He was interviewed by Oregon Public Broadcasting for his views about the limits of partisan politics.
Oregon Independent Party mayoral candidacy
Torrey ran again for mayor of Eugene in 2008. He qualified for a runoff election in November of that year, but lost to incumbent Kitty Piercy.
Jeff Mapes, a political analyst with The Oregonian, described the election:
Both [candidates] are smart, tough and tested politicians who I expect to sharply debate how best to nurture the economy and livability of Eugene. In other words, kind of like the debate you might get from Sam Adams and Sho Dozono in Portland.
An unsubstantiated charge that Torrey donated to the re-election 2004 campaign of George W. Bush and his role on the Eugene School District school board promoting higher taxes during its recent closures and mergers  remain controversial, as both, themselves, are widely viewed as polarizing events. A search of the Federal Elections Commission website turned up no donations to President Bush, but two federal donations (one to Senator Gordon H. Smith in 2001 and one to the Oregon Republican Party in 2003) can be verified.
- "Torrey turns Independent". The Register Guard. September 20, 2007.
- Fogarty, Colin (September 24, 2007). "Independent Party Growing Fast In Oregon". Oregon Public Broadcasting.
- Piercy vs. Torrey: Look beyond the labels in Eugene’s mayoral race The Register-Guard 2008-03-07 retrieved 2008-03-23
- Mapes, Jeff Eugene gets its own high-powered mayor's race The Oregonian 2008-03-07 retrieved 2008-03-23
- "Eugene Weekly : News : 5.22.08". eugeneweekly.com.
- "Eugene Weekly : News : 3.13.08". eugeneweekly.com.
- http://www.fec.gov/finance/disclosure/norindsea.shtml retrieved 2010-10-03
|This article about a mayor in Oregon is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|