Jim van Os
Jim van Os (born 1960) is a Dutch psychiatrist and epidemiologist.
He studied medicine in Amsterdam, psychiatry in Jakarta, Casablanca, Bordeaux and London, and subsequently epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. He is professor of Psychiatric Epidemiology at the Department of Psychiatry and Psychology at Maastricht University Medical Centre, and visiting professor at the Division of Psychological Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry, DeCrespigny Park, London, United Kingdom.
In 2009, van Os proposed abolishing the diagnosis of schizophrenia due to lack of validity and the risk of 'fundamental attribution error' associated with the label (the inability of the clinician to communicate with the person because of erroneous preconceptions associated with the label). He proposed using a broad and general syndromal definition instead, as it stimulates further personal diagnosis and reduces attribution error, citing previous work by other researchers that explains psychosis as aberrant salience regulation.
In 2014, he explained his views in a TED talk 
In 2015, he and colleagues published an article in a national newspaper suggesting 'schizo-labels' should be abandoned and replaced by more scientific and patient-friendly terminology. The week after, his colleagues Rene Kahn, Iris Sommer and Damiaan Denys published a counter-article, labelling Van Os and colleagues as 'antipsychiatrists' 
Some Books and Articles
- van Os, J. & Kapur, S. (2009) Schizophrenia; Lancet, 374, 635-645.
- van Os J, Kenis G, Rutten BP. The environment and schizophrenia. Nature. 2010;468(7321):203-212.
- van Os, J. (2009) 'Salience syndrome' replaces 'schizophrenia' in DSM-V and ICD-11: psychiatry's evidence-based entry into the 21st century? Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 120, 363-372.
- Van Os, J., Linscott, R.J., Myin-Germeys, I., Delespaul, P. & Krabbendam, L. (2009) A systematic review and meta-analysis of the psychosis continuum: evidence for a psychosis proneness-persistence-impairment model of psychotic disorder; Psychological Medicine, 39, 179-195.
- van Os, J., Rutten, B.P. & Poulton, R. (2008) Gene-environment interactions in schizophrenia: review of epidemiological findings and future directions; Schizophrenia Bulletin, 34, 1066-1082.
- Tamminga, C., Sirovatka, P., Regier, D.A. & Van Os, J. (2010) Deconstructing Psychosis: Refining the Research Agenda for DSM-V (Arlington, Virginia, American Psychiatric Association).
- Van Veldhuizen, R., Bähler, M., Polhuis, D. & Van Os, J. (2008) Handboek FACT (Utrecht, De Tijdstroom).
- H.M. van Praag, E.R. de Kloet & J. van Os, Stress, the brain and depression, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 2004
- Robin Murray, Peter B. Jones, Ezra Susser, Jim Van Os, Mary Cannon, The epidemiology of schizophrenia, Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press 2003 (ISBN 0-521-77540-X)
- De nieuwe psychose (Trimboslezing 2003), Utrecht: Trimbos-Instituut 2003
- J. David, Simon Wessely, Jim van Os, Robin M. Castle Murray, Psychosis in the Inner City. The Camberwell First Episode Study (Hardcover), Hove: Psychology 1998
- (Genetic) epidemiology as a tool to identify risk factors for emergence and persistence of illness in the functional psychoses (diss. Maastricht), Maastricht: IPSER Foundation 1995
- van Os J (February 2009). "A salience dysregulation syndrome". Br J Psychiatry 194 (2): 101–3. doi:10.1192/bjp.bp.108.054254. PMID 19182167.
- Kapur S (January 2003). "Psychosis as a state of aberrant salience: a framework linking biology, phenomenology, and pharmacology in schizophrenia". Am J Psychiatry 160 (1): 13–23. doi:10.1176/appi.ajp.160.1.13. PMID 12505794.
- "Jim van Os". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- TED talk at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE3gxX5CiW0
- Van Os et al, NRC Handelsblad, 2015, laten we de diagnose schizofrenie vergeten http://www.nrc.nl/handelsblad/2015/03/07/laten-we-de-diagnose-schizofrenie-vergeten-1472619
- Kahn et al, NRC Handelsblad, 2015: http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2015/03/13/schizofrenie-als-diagnose-schrappen-is-anti-psychiatrie-uit-de-jaren-70
- Psychosis research at Maastricht University by Jim van Os and Philippe Delespaul
- cannabis research
- Information at 2002 inauguration in Maastricht