Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville
Original Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville in Key West FL
|Founded||1977 (Key West, Florida)|
|Headquarters||Orlando, Florida, United States|
Number of locations
23 - Margaritaville |
1 - JWB Prime Steak and Seafood
7 - 5 o'clock Somewhere Bar & Grill
Margaritaville Holdings LLC |
International Meal Co. 50%
Coral Hospitality LLC 50%
Hotels and Resorts
Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville is the name of a United States-based hospitality company that manages and franchises a casual dining American restaurant chain, a chain of stores selling Jimmy Buffett-themed merchandise, and casinos with lodging facilities.
It is owned by Buffett's Margaritaville Holdings LLC (a subsidiary of Cheeseburger Holding Company, LLC) and named after his hit song "Margaritaville". Some locations are franchise owned, such as the Caribbean, Australian, and Mexican locations. There are locations in the United States, Canada, and Mexico, six island locations throughout the Caribbean as well as a newly opened site in Sydney, Australia since September 2012. In 2014 a Brazilian company bought 12 Margaritaville Restaurants and the rights to expand the company in the U.S.
As of April 2018, current restaurant locations are in:
- Key West, Florida on Duval Street (opened 1985)
- Montego Bay and Negril on the island of Jamaica (both opened 1996)
- Orlando, Florida outside the main gate of Universal's Islands of Adventure (1999)
- Cancún, Mexico at the Flamingo Mall (2002)
- Ocho Rios, Jamaica at Island Village (2002)
- Las Vegas at the Flamingo Hotel (2003)
- Myrtle Beach, South Carolina at the Heroes Harbour section of Broadway at the Beach (2004)
- Grand Turk at the Carnival Cruise Center, in the Turks and Caicos Islands (2006)
- George Town, Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands (2006)
- Cozumel on the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico, (2007)
- Panama City Beach, Florida at Pier Park, opened (2006)
- Uncasville, Connecticut at Mohegan Sun casino (2008)
- Jimmy Buffett's Restaurant & Bar, Honolulu, Hawaii at the Waikiki Beachcomber Hotel (2009)
- Niagara Falls Ontario, Canada (2011)
- Frank and Lola Love Pensacola Cafe and the Landshark Landing Pavilion, Pensacola Beach, Florida at the Margaritaville Beach Hotel, (2011)
- Downtown Nashville, Tennessee (pictured to the right) (2010)
- Chicago at Navy Pier (2011)
- Biloxi, Mississippi (2012)
- Sydney (2012)
- Cincinnati at the Jack Cincinnati Casino (2013) Closed
- Falmouth, Jamaica (2013)
- Resorts Casino Hotel in Atlantic City, New Jersey (2013)
- Destin, Florida (2014)
- Syracuse, New York Located inside Syracuse's mall, Destiny USA (2015)
- Nassau, Bahamas located on Paradise Island (2015)
- Pigeon Forge, Tennessee located at The Island (2015)
- Bloomington, Minnesota located inside Mall of America (2016)
- San Antonio, Texas located inside the Shops at Rivercenter (2016)
- Universal City, California located in Universal CityWalk (2017)
- Cleveland located in The Flats East Bank (2017)
Atlantic City and Myrtle Beach have Buffett's newest concept, the Landshark Bar & Grille, located at the Myrtle Beach SkyWheel attraction, at Plyler Park, which opened May 2011 (pictured to the right).
As of June 20, 2011, United States retail store locations are in Key West, FL, New Orleans, LA, Charleston, SC, Orlando, FL, Las Vegas, Myrtle Beach, Glendale, Panama City Beach, FL, Mohegan Sun, Honolulu, HI, Pensacola Beach, Nashville, TN and Chicago, IL. The newest concept, a "Landshark Surfshack Retail Shop" opened May 17, 2011 at the Myrtle Beach SkyWheel attraction. Mexico's retail locations are in Cancun and Cozumel. Canada's retail location is in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Caribbean retail locations in the British West Indies are in Montego Bay (including two "Air Margaritaville" locations at Sangster International Airport), Negril and Ocho Rios on the island of Jamaica; Grand Turk in the Turks and Caicos Islands; and George Town, Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands.
On June 28, 2010, the Margaritaville Beach Hotel (pictured to the right) opened on Pensacola Beach. The former site of a Holiday Inn, destroyed by Hurricane Ivan on September 16, 2004, Margaritaville Hotel sits on over 800 feet of gulf-front property. An additional 800 feet overlooks the bay. The beachfront hotel features 'barefoot elegance' with 162 guest rooms, including 24 Corner King Executive rooms with wrap-around balconies.
Future phased-plans include an adjacent free-standing Margaritaville Cafe restaurant and a bayside waterpark.
Plans for a second and third Margaritaville Beach Hotel were announced in 2010. The second, still in the planning stages, would be located in Myrtle Beach, SC, with a third, a $131-million, 350-room resort, hoping to break ground by the end of 2011 and be open by late 2013, in Hollywood, FL.
The Las Vegas Margaritaville at the Flamingo has expanded to include its very own 15,000-square-foot Margaritaville-branded casino. The casino was scheduled to open October 1, 2011.
On January 12, 2011, it was announced that Buffett's MVB Holdings company is working with Coast casino veteran Tom Brosig and other investors to build the casual three-story, 68,000-square-foot, $48 million "Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Casino and Restaurant" resort on the back bay at the old East Harrison County Industrial Park on 5th Street in Biloxi, MS. The developers will build the casino resort in phases, starting with a small casino, a restaurant, events center and marina.
Developers said it should open in April or May 2012.
On June 22, 2011, Paradise Casino LLC unveiled plans for a Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Casino and Hotel to be built east of Shreveport, LA in neighboring Bossier City. The complex, a $170 million, 400-room resort, would include an 18-story hotel tower, 1,000-seat entertainment complex with a VIP balcony and an outdoor tropical area visible to the north from the Louisiana Boardwalk.
In March 2013, the Muscogee (Creek) Nation announced that its River Spirit Casino on the Arkansas River in Tulsa would become a Margaritaville Casino as part of a $250 million project that would also add a 22-story, 500-room luxury tower to the existing facility.
Latitude Margaritaville Daytona Beach
Latitude Margaritaville is a $1 billion retirement village planned in Daytona Beach, Florida. The project is a joint venture between Minto Communities and Buffett’s Margaritaville Holdings, with the development being built on land close to LPGA Boulevard and about a mile to the west from Interstate-95.
Phase one of the community will have 400 homes with a potential of 6,900 homes, once the project once completed. As of March 2018, 250 lots have been sold with prices between the low $200,000's to the mid $300,000 range. The community will have a pet salon, grocery store, and a private beach when it opens in April 2018.
In 1985, Buffett opened his first successful "Margaritaville" retail store in Key West, Florida, following a failed Margaritaville in Gulf Shores, Alabama. In 2002, he expanded his business ventures by partnering with Outback Steakhouse to develop the first Cheeseburger in Paradise Restaurant in Southport (Indianapolis, IN).
In late 2006, Jimmy Buffett announced on the website that the Margaritaville Cafes will no longer purchase or serve Canadian seafood products.
On May 15, 2007, Harrah's Entertainment, now Caesars Entertainment Corp. announced plans to build the $700 million Margaritaville Casino Resort in Biloxi, Mississippi on the site of the former Grand Casino Biloxi and Casino Magic Biloxi properties. Due to the U.S. recession, however, construction of the casino ceased on June 10, 2008.
On January 12, 2011, following the announcement of the new partnership between MVB Holdings and the Brosig, Sekul and Sims families, for the differently planned Biloxi, MS casino, John Payne, Caesars Entertainment Corp. central division president, stated, "We are disappointed that our project with Margaritaville will not proceed." This casino eventually opened, then closed a few years later. Recently, a Margaritaville resort opened on Highway 90 at the location of the old Grand Casino. This new resort does not have a casino.
Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville is featured in the 2015 film Jurassic World as one of the restaurants in the fictional theme park, with Buffett himself making a cameo appearance as one of the guests running away from the Pteranodon attack.
- Firm buys Margaritaville restaurants Sandra Pedicini April 24, 2014 Orlando Sentinel
- 1 Million Free Pictures – 20 Free pictures taken in Nashville, retrieved 2013-10-22
- Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville.com – Online State of Mind: Cafes, archived from the original on 2007-07-29, retrieved 2011-06-20
- Margaritaville Chicago Shooting for Memorial Weekend Opening, retrieved 2011-04-21
- Tampone, Kevin (28 January 2015). "Margaritaville at Destiny USA gets ready to open". The Post-Standard. Syracuse, New York.
- Margaritaville Isla Nublar mock webpage
- SkyWheel, LandShark eatery debut today in Myrtle Beach, archived from the original on September 11, 2012, retrieved May 20, 2011
- Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville.com – Online State of Mind: Shop, retrieved 2010-11-28
- Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville :: Latest News and Articles, retrieved 2011-06-20
- Margaritaville Chicago Shooting for Memorial Weekend Opening, retrieved 2011-04-21
- Small part of SkyWheel attraction in Myrtle Beach has opened, retrieved 2011-05-18
- Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Hotel Opening in Pensacola Beach, May 21, 2010, retrieved 2010-10-28
- Margaritaville Beach Hotel :: About, October 28, 2010, retrieved 2010-10-28
- Fins Up Pensacola ... Jimmy Buffett's New Margaritaville Beach Hotel Set to Open This Summer in Pensacola Beach, FL., May 25, 2010, retrieved 2011-01-13
- Margaritaville hotel possible for Myrtle Beach, retrieved 2010-11-28
- A Resort for a Song, retrieved 2010-11-28
- Jimmy Buffett-themed casino opening in Vegas, retrieved 2011-09-25
- Margaritaville Casino on its way again, retrieved 2011-01-12
- New Margaritaville in the works - Casinos - SunHerald.com, archived from the original on January 14, 2011, retrieved January 13, 2011
- Road to Margaritaville needed by opening day, retrieved 2011-09-22
- Bossier City Council Approves Negotiation For New Casino, retrieved 2011-06-22[permanent dead link]
- Margaritaville Hotel and Casino planned for Bossier City site, retrieved 2011-06-22
- "River Spirit Casino announces Margaritaville partnership". KOKI-TV. March 18, 2013. Retrieved 2013-03-19.
- Taylor Martin, Susan (2018-03-15). "Real-life Margaritaville wows parrothead retirees". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2018-03-16.
- Bestler, Bob (March 18, 2017). "Jimmy Buffett's countless ventures now include a retirement spot for the Parrotheads". The Sun News. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- Jimmy Buffett – Gulf Shores Benefit Concert – Come Monday – 5 (YouTube), retrieved 2013-07-12
- Lambert, Molly (April 11, 2017). "The Parrothead Inside Me". MTV News. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- Seals Find a Friend in Margaritaville: Jimmy Buffett's Restaurants Join the Canadian Seafood Boycott, December 12, 2006, archived from the original on January 28, 2007, retrieved 2007-04-28
- Harrah's to open Biloxi Margaritaville casino, Reuters, May 15, 2007, retrieved 2007-05-15
- canadaeast.com – As original completion date passes, Biloxi's Margaritaville casino remains on hold, June 30, 2010, retrieved 2010-11-28
- New Margaritaville in the works - Casinos - SunHerald.com, January 12, 2012, archived from the original on January 14, 2011, retrieved January 13, 2011
- Reyes, Mike (June 14, 2015). "Jimmy Buffett Appeared in Jurassic World, and Odds Are You Saw Him". CinemaBlend. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville.|