James Michael "Jimmy" Cochran (born May 29, 1981) is a former World Cup alpine ski racer from the United States. He specialized in the technical events and his best World Cup finish was seventh in a Giant slalom in December 2005.
Born in Burlington, Vermont, Cochran is the son of Bob Cochran, one of the "Skiing Cochrans" family of Richmond, Vermont. He represented the U.S. in the Winter Olympics in 2006 and 2010 and the World Championships in 2005, 2007, and 2009.
Cochran's best Olympic finish was 12th in the slalom in 2006, and his best result at the world championships was tenth in the slalom at Val d'Isère in 2009. He won U.S. national titles in the giant slalom and slalom on successive days in 2004 at Alyeska in Alaska.
Cochran retired from international competition after the 2012 season and became an assistant alpine ski coach at the University of Vermont in Burlington. He raced for the Catamounts in 2003, after transferring from Middlebury College, then was named to the U.S. Ski Team.
World Cup results
Race top tens
- 5 top tens (3 SL, 2 GS)
|2006||Dec 21, 2005||Kranjska Gora, Slovenia||Giant slalom||7th|
|2008||Dec 16, 2007||Alta Badia, Italy||Giant Slalom||10th|
|Dec 17, 2007||Slalom||8th|
|Jan 6, 2008||Adelboden, Switzerland||Slalom||8th|
|2010||Dec 21, 2009||Alta Badia, Italy||Slalom||9th|
- "Jimmy Cochran takes national slalom title in Vermont podium sweep". Ski Racing. March 21, 2004. Archived from the original on January 3, 2014. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- "Miller slips, Cochran wins U.S. alpine title". Sun Journal. Lewiston, ME. Associated Press. March 23, 2004. p. C3.
- Champagne, Lisa (September 12, 2012). "Jimmy Cochran joins UVM ski team as assistant coach". University of Vermont athletics. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- Woodworth, Gordon (May 29, 2003). "Skiing: Jimmy Cochran named to US Ski Team". University of Vermont. university communications. Retrieved January 2, 2014.
- Jimmy Cochran at the International Ski Federation
- FIS-ski.com – Jimmy Cochran – World Cup season standings
- Ski-db.com – Jimmy Cochran – results
- Sports Reference.com – Olympic results – Jimmy Cochran
- U.S. Olympic Team – Jimmy Cochran
- University of Vermont athletics – Jimmy Cochran – assistant alpine ski coach
|This biographical article relating to alpine skiing in America is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|