This biographical article needs more biographical information on the subject.May 2017)(
James "Jimmy" Copley
|Born||29 December 1953|
|Died||13 May 2017 (aged 63)|
|Spouse(s)||Sachi Caroline Taylor (m. 1984-2014)|
|Children||Jack Copley (son) Johnny Copley (son) Jerome Alexandre (son)|
Copley was largely a session musician and worked with Jeff Beck, Graham Parker, Upp, Paul Young, Magnum, Roger Glover, Ian Gillan and Glenn Hughes of Deep Purple, Go West, Killing Joke, Tears for Fears, Seal, Tony Iommi and Paul Rodgers. He was the drummer with Manfred Mann's Earth Band from 2007.
He was a master of the open-handed drumming technique. This method dispenses with crossing the hands when playing the hi-hat and snare drum simultaneously, as opposed to the more traditional way of playing drums which features crossed hands as the basic playing position.
Copley was a long-term Tama Drums endorser. He used Superstar, Granstar, Artstar II and Starclassic drums throughout the years. Another long time association was with Zildjian Cymbals. He also used Vic Firth drumsticks.
According to University Hospital Bristol, Copley had been diagnosed with leukemia in 2015 and relapsed following a bone marrow transplant. He opted to discontinue chemotherapy. In Copley's final days, his hospital room was transformed into a temporary recording studio so that he and friends could record an EP to benefit the Bristol Haematology and Oncology Centre and Royal United Hospital, in Bristol.
- Upp (1975)
- This Way Upp (1976)
- Outside the Gate (1988)
- Tears for Fears: Live at Knebworth '90 (Change, Badman's Song, Everybody Wants to Rule the World) (1990)
- Going To California (Live from Santa Barbara) (1990)
Stone Free - Jimi Hendrix Tribute
- Stone Free - Jimi Hendrix Tribute (1993)
- Soul on Board (1993)
- Last of the Independents (1994)
- Live: The Loreley Tapes (live album, 1996)
- Now (1997)
- Now and Live (2-CD compilation, 1997)
- Electric (2000)
- Mayfield (1998)
- The Best Of Go West - Live at the NEC (2001)
- Livin' The Dream (2005 live DVD)
- Princess Alice and the Broken Arrow (2007)
- Slap My Hand (2008)
- "Epilogue: Personal Facts" (in German). Magnum. Retrieved 5 June 2017.
- "Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Band Members (Jimmy Copley)". Platform-end.co.uk. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- Carson, Annette (2001). Jeff Beck: Crazy Fingers. San Francisco, CA: Backbeat Books. p. Page 226. ISBN 0-87930-632-7.
- "Tama Drums: Jimmy Copley". Tama. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Artist Roster". Vic Firth. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- "Drummer Jimmy Copley Dies". Ultimate Classic Rock. Retrieved 14 October 2017.