This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jimmy DeGrasso performing with Black Star Riders in 2014
|Born||March 16, 1963|
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States
Jimmy DeGrasso (born March 16, 1963) is an American heavy metal drummer.
DeGrasso has performed with the Argentine band A.N.I.M.A.L., David Lee Roth, Lita Ford, Ozzy Osbourne, F5, Dokken, White Lion, Suicidal Tendencies, and Y&T. More recently,[when?] DeGrasso was a member of Megadeth, and spent five years with Black Star Riders until March 2017.
He was Alice Cooper's drummer who played in Wayne's World (at the very end of the 'Hey Stoopid' tour), South America '95, Summer '96 and '97 tours along with filling in for Eric Singer in Summer '08. Prior to his work with Alice Cooper, he played with Talas (before they recorded), Suicidal Tendencies and White Lion.
DeGrasso originally auditioned for Ozzy Osbourne and played on the demos of The Ultimate Sin before Ozzy and Bob Daisley had a fallout and Ozzy chose to replace the entire band except for Jake E Lee. DeGrasso then joined the veteran metal band Y&T in 1986, replacing their original drummer Leonard Haze. He remained with the group into the '90s. In 1991, he briefly filled in as White Lion's touring drummer when Greg D'Angelo left the band. He would go on to play on Dave Mustaine's (Megadeth vocalist/guitarist) side project band, MD.45 in 1995. Mustaine asked him to join Megadeth in 1998 as drummer and continue the band's Cryptic Writings Tour. He was asked to play with Megadeth five days before the next show. He walked around with a walkman all day to memorize the songs. DeGrasso recorded and toured behind Megadeth's Risk album in 1999–2000, The World Needs A Hero in 2000–2001 and was featured on Megadeth's first ever live CD and DVD release, Rude Awakening in 2002.
DeGrasso has performed at the Modern Drummer Festival in 2002, Ultimate Drummers Weekend in Australia, Drummer Live in the United Kingdom and toured with Stone Sour (Slipknot vocalist Corey Taylor’s side project) and guitar legend Ronnie Montrose. Jimmy played with David Lee Roth Band in 2006 and joined with Ministry on their final tour in 2008.
In late August and early September DeGrasso played 11 shows with Alice Cooper to fill in for Eric Singer while Singer played a few KISS shows in the United States. DeGrasso has also been the full-time drummer for heavy metal band F5 and Hail (along with current Megadeth bassist Dave Ellefson). In summer of 2012 DeGrasso toured with Dokken, filling in for Mick Brown who was touring with Ted Nugent.
It was announced in early 2014 that he would temporarily be filling-in for Bobby Blotzer in Ratt, and played with them on the Monsters of Rock cruise. He is the first drummer to have filled in for Blotzer, since he joined the band in 1982. He filled in for Blotzer again on Monsters of Rock Cruise in October 2016 before becoming official touring drummer in 2017.
Bands as drummer
- Mama's Boys ~ 1985–1986
- Y&T ~ 1987–1990, 1995
- White Lion ~ 1991
- Fiona ~ 1992
- Suicidal Tendencies ~ 1992–1995
- Alice Cooper ~ 1994–2002, 2008–2010
- Megadeth ~ 1998–2002
- O'2L ~ 2006
- David Lee Roth – 2006
- Ministry ~ 2008
- Dokken ~ 2012–2013
- Ratt ~ 2014, 2016–2018
- Black Star Riders~ 2012–2017
- 1987 Y&T – Contagious
- 1990 Y&T – Yesterday & Today Live
- 1990 Y&T – Ten (also featuring Stef Burns)
- 1991 White Lion – Escape from Brooklyn – VHS
- 1992 Fiona – Squeeze
- 1994 Suicidal Tendencies – Suicidal for Life
- 1995 Y&T – Musically Incorrect
- 1996 MD.45 – The Craving
- 1997 Alice Cooper – Fistful of Alice
- 1997 Y&T – Endangered Species
- 1998 A.N.I.M.A.L. – Poder Latino (session drummer)
- 1999 Megadeth – Risk
- 2000 Megadeth – Capitol Punishment: The Megadeth Years
- 2001 Megadeth – The World Needs a Hero
- 2001 Megadeth – Behind the Music
- 2002 Megadeth – Rude Awakening
- 2002 Megadeth – Still Alive... and Well?
- 2005 Megadeth – Greatest Hits: Back to the Start
- 2006 Megadeth – Arsenal of Megadeth
- 2006 Sex Machineguns – Made In USA (session drummer)
- 2007 Megadeth – Warchest
- 2008 F5 – The Reckoning
- 2008 Megadeth – Anthology: Set the World Afire
- 2010 Alice Cooper – Theatre of Death, Live at Hammersmith 2009
- 2011 The Worshyp – Evil Abounds (session drummer)
- 2011 Alice Cooper - Welcome 2 My Nightmare
- 2012 Dokken - Broken Bones
- 2013 Black Star Riders – All Hell Breaks Loose
- 2015 Black Star Riders – The Killer Instinct
- 2017 Black Star Riders – Heavy Fire
- Prato, Greg. "Biography: White Lion". Allmusic. Retrieved October 19, 2010.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Biography: Megadeth". Allmusic. Retrieved October 19, 2010.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Biography: Y&T". Allmusic. Retrieved October 19, 2010.
- "They Will Rock You - Jimmy DeGrasso interview".
- "Thin Lizzy to End, Black Star Riders to Begin". noise11.com. 20 December 2012.
- "Black Star Riders announce debut album title". Black Star Riders official website. 8 March 2013.
- "Jimmy DeGrasso on tour with Ministry". Drummerszone. November 23, 2007. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- Jimmy DeGrasso Official Web Site.
- Jimmy DeGrasso (on drums) and Megadeth performing "Ashes in Your Mouth" live.
- Jimmy DeGrasso (on drums) performing live with the Ronnie Montrose Band.
| Megadeth Drummer