Jaume Marquet i Cot (Catalan pronunciation: [ˈʒawmə mərˈkɛt i kɔt]), more popularly known as Jimmy Jump, born on 14 March 1976, is a streaker from Sabadell, Catalonia, known for interfering in several major entertainment and sporting events.
On 4 July 2004, during the UEFA Euro 2004 final between Greece and Portugal, he threw an FC Barcelona flag at the Portuguese captain – Luís Figo – who left that team to join their archrivals, Real Madrid, in 2000. He also invaded the pitch during a La Liga match between Real Madrid and Barcelona on 19 November 2005 and the 2005 UEFA Champions League semifinal between Liverpool and Chelsea.
Two years later, during the 2006 UEFA Champions League semi final between Villarreal and Arsenal, he ran onto the pitch just before the second half began. When at the pitch, he tossed a Barcelona jersey at Arsenal striker Thierry Henry, with Henry's name and the number 14 printed on the back. (On 25 June 2007, Henry was transferred to Barcelona and was given his number 14.) Marquet was apprehended and taken into custody by stadium security, and later fined by Spain's sporting anti-violence commission.
Another one of his 'raids' was at the end of the UEFA Euro 2008 semi-final match between Germany and Turkey in Basel, Switzerland; this time he had a Tibetan flag and wore a T-shirt with an inscription "Tibet is not China."
On July 11, 2010, moments before the 2010 FIFA World Cup Final between Spain and the Netherlands played in Johannesburg, South Africa, Marquet rushed onto the field and attempted to place a Barretina on the World Cup trophy before being apprehended by several security guards. He was ordered to pay a ZAR2,000 fine for the incident.
On September 11, 2010, Marquet ran onto the field before the second half of the Hungarian Derby between Újpest and Ferencváros. He held a Catalan flag, with the message "Kubala [a former Barcelona and Ferencváros player] forever". Before the security guards caught him, he kicked the ball into the Ferencváros goal. Security handed him over to the police and he was taken into custody for four hours, before being released and fined approximately EUR€350.
On May 3, 2011, Marquet invaded the pitch of the Barcelona and Real Madrid match at the Nou Camp, just before kick-off of the second half. After evading capture he threw his trademark red hat at Real Madrid player Cristiano Ronaldo before being apprehended by stewards.
In 2012, his friend and Irish musician Rob Smith (who is also a well-known culé) wrote and recorded a song in tribute of him called "Salta Salta (The Jimmy Jump Song)", which itself features a small part of FC Barcelona's anthem "El Cant Del Barça" during the outro.
Marquet ran through the starting grid during the parade lap of the 2004 Spanish Grand Prix.
Marquet jumped into the CN Sant Andreu pool in the beginning of the third period of the final match of Copa del Rey between CN Sabadell and CN Barcelona.
During the 2009 Men's Singles Finals of the French Open, he accosted eventual winner Roger Federer, attempting to place a red barretina on his head. Marquet was tackled by a security guard while stumbling after he jumped over the net. He faced up to 12 months in prison for the incident.
Eurovision Song Contest
During the 2010 Eurovision Song Contest in Norway, Marquet invaded the stage during the Spanish performance of Daniel Diges and took part in the choreography. He subsequently left the stage at the venue and was immediately escorted away from the concert area and taken to Sandvika police station, where he was arrested and fined NOK15,000. Due to the incident, Svante Stockselius, the executive supervisor of the Eurovision Song Contest at that time, allowed Spain to perform for a second time after the last regular performance.
On February 13, 2011, during the 25th Goya Awards ceremony, Marquet invaded the stage just before the best actor award was handed over to Javier Bardem. Before being whisked away, Marquet could say only a few words on the microphone and cover the Best Actor Goya statuette with a barretina.
On September 14, 2010, after the Champions League match between Barcelona and Panathinaikos, Marquet appeared in a weather forecast on Hungarian channel TV2. He waved, shouting "Barcelona, Barcelona!"; put his cap on the forecaster, and chanted "Barça!" Marquet had a microphone attached to this t-shirt, because he was a guest in an earlier talk show.
- Glendenning, Barry (4 July 2004). "Portugal 0 - 1 Greece". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- Telegraph staff and agencies (11 July 2010). "World Cup final: Pitch invader 'Jimmy Jump' tries to grab trophy before kick off". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "World Cup final pitch invader 'Jimmy Jump' slapped with £175 fine by South African court". Mail Online. 13 July 2010. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Jimmy Jump akciójától a szurkolók balhéjáig - fotók" (in Hungarian). Nemzeti Sport Online. 2010-09-12. Archived from the original on 2010-09-12. Retrieved 2010-09-12.
- "French Open 2009: Intruder Jimmy Jump approaches Roger Federer during final". The Daily Telegraph. 2009-06-07. Archived from the original on 2010-05-31. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- "Kjent stuntmann stormet scenen under MGP-finalen" (in Norwegian). Dagbladet. 2010-05-29. Archived from the original on 2010-05-31. Retrieved 2010-05-29.
- "Spania får fremføre på nytt" (in Norwegian). NRK. 2010-05-29. Archived from the original on 2010-05-31. Retrieved 2010-05-29.
- Minell, Sven; Gustafsson, Martin; Axelsson, Malin (2010-05-29). "Hoppar upp på scen – mitt i sändning" (in Swedish). Aftonbladet. Archived from the original on 2010-05-31. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- "Jimmy Jump salta al escenario durante la actuación de España en Eurovisión". La Voz de Galicia (in Spanish). 2010-05-28. Archived from the original on 2010-05-31. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- Stage invasion during Spain's performance - Eurovision Song Contest Final 2010 - BBC One. YouTube. 2010-05-29. Event occurs at 1:06. Retrieved 2010-05-10.
- "Spain invaded in Eurovision Song Contest as Germany's". The Daily Telegraph. Associated Press. 2010-05-30. Archived from the original on 2010-05-31. Retrieved 2010-05-31.
- Goya Awards 2011: Sinde Law Controversy, Jorge Drexler Sings, Jimmy Jump Crashes Party. Alt Film Guide. 2010-09-15. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- Jimmy Jump in TV" weather forecast. indavideó. 2010-09-15. Event occurs at 0:23. Retrieved 2010-09-15.