Liao at the 2008 Taipei International Book Exhibition
Fubin Liao (廖福彬)|
November 15, 1958
Yilan County, Taiwan
Turn Left, Turn Right |
Sound of Colors
Starry Starry Night
The Floating Landscape
Jimmy Liao (Chinese: 廖福彬; pinyin: Liào Fúbīn, born 15 November 1958) is a Taiwanese illustrator as well as a picture book writer. The name Jimmy is his English first name which brought about his (phonetic) Chinese pen name, 幾米.
After graduating from Chinese Culture University in which he majored in art, Jimmy worked in an advertising company for twelve years, and then he worked as an illustrator for newspapers and magazines. Jimmy was a middle-aged man who had survived a battle with leukemia in 1995 and was determined to devote himself heart and soul to his art. In 1998 his picture books Secrets In The Forest (森林裡的秘密) and A Fish With A Smile (微笑的魚) were published in Taiwan. These two books earned him several book awards and were regarded as “The Best Children’s Books” in several Taiwanese newspapers, such as The China Times, Min Sheng Bao, and United Daily News. His picture book A Chance of Sunshine or Turn Left, Turn Right (向左走, 向右走), which was published in 1999, was voted “One of the Ten Most Influential Books” by the Taiwanese bookstore chain, Kingstones. Jimmy’s books have been translated into dozens of languages and sold around the world. His books have also been adapted for theater, movie, television, and animation. Many of his characters from his picture books have been applied to the making of dolls and pictures on other authorized products, notably leather purses. His pictures are characterized by their use of striking, bold colours and depict central figures that often appear small in the foreground, suggesting the viewpoint of a child in the wide, sometimes sinister, world, or to hint at loneliness.
Publications (translated into English)
- The Rainbow of Time, translated by Wang Xinlin and Andrea Lingenfelter (Balestier Press, 2015) ISBN 978-0-9932154-3-8
- The Sound of Colors: A Journey of the Imagination, translated by Sarah L. Thomson (Little, Brown and Company, 2006).
- Beautiful Solitude
- Miranda Yeung (April 3, 2008). "Taking a colourful look at life". South China Morning Post. Retrieved June 24, 2016.
- Joyce Siu (March 25, 2008). "Solitary man". South China Morning Post. Retrieved June 24, 2016.
- LEE WING-SZE (September 22, 2003). "Liao's book hits the stage". South China Morning Post. Retrieved June 24, 2016.
|This Taiwanese artist-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Taiwanese writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|