|Location||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Closed||December 31, 2016|
In February 2016, the building which housed Jimmy Mak's was sold for development. The club’s final performance was held Dec. 31, 2016. Makarounis died two days later, at age 53. He made plans to relocate the club to the intersection of Northwest 10th and Everett, in 2017. However, in November 2016, Makarounis announced that the venue's last show would be on December 31 (New Year's Eve). He told The Oregonian:
It is with a heavy heart I make this announcement... As many of you know, I have been battling larynx cancer for these past four years, and I simply need to step away from the business to focus on healing and beating this disease, once and for all... This is the very last thing I wanted to see happen with the business, and we have explored many options for trying to keep the business open and to try to find another operator or group of investors that could keep the business going. Unfortunately, we have not been able to do so.
Makarounis confirmed Jimmy Mak's availability if someone wanted to re-open the club after a fully funded relocation. The venue's closure marked an end to Portland's most prominent jazz performance space.
There are plans to reopen Jimmy Mak's in the Pearl District in 2019.
- List of jazz clubs
- List of jazz venues in the United States
- List of music venues in Portland, Oregon
- Acker, Lizzy (November 28, 2016). "Portland jazz club Jimmy Mak's to close permanently". The Oregonian. Portland, Oregon: Advance Publications. ISSN 8750-1317. Retrieved November 28, 2016.
- Ryan, JIm (January 3, 2017). "Owner of Jimmy Mak's, Portland jazz club, dies after cancer battle". OregonLive.
- Lannamann, Ned (November 28, 2016). "Portland Jazz Club Jimmy Mak's Is Closing at the End of 2016". The Portland Mercury. Portland, Oregon: Index Publishing. Retrieved November 28, 2016.
- Roth, Sara (November 28, 2016). "Portland jazz institution Jimmy Mak's to close indefinitely". KGW. Retrieved November 28, 2016.
- "Legendary Jazz Club Jimmy Mak's Will Reopen in the Pearl". Eater Portland. Retrieved 2018-06-26.