Jimmy Moore (author)
This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jimmy Moore (born December 27, 1971) is an American blogger and author who is best known for his "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog and podcast, and more recently for his books on nutrition. He has appeared on television and radio programs promoting a high-fat, moderate protein, low carb diet plan. His popular weekly podcast, "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb", has run over 1100 episodes featuring interviews with experts in diet, health, and fitness. Moore also hosts the "Keto Talk" podcast. He currently resides in Spartanburg, South Carolina.
Moore was born December 27, 1971. He attended the University of Tennessee at Martin, where he obtained a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and English. He also received a Master's Degree in Public Policy from Regent University.
Lifestyle and weight loss
In early 2013, starting at a then current weight of 306 pounds, Moore performed a self-experiment (n=1) on ketosis. His experiment included testing for blood ketones, a marker for beta-oxidation. Moore also incorporated weight-loss techniques such as intermittent fasting and weight lifting.
His lipid profile has been posted and analyzed in the context of newer perspectives on cholesterol that are not in sync with those of the medical establishment. Moore is not an adherent of the current American Medical Association position on cholesterol.
Until June 2007, Moore was an advocate for the Kimkins diet, a decreased-fat, low-carbohydrate diet. After Moore interviewed the creator of Kimkins, Heidi Diaz, on his podcast in July 2007, he became skeptical of Diaz's claims. Shortly thereafter, he apologized to his readers and publicly shared his skepticism of Diaz. Moore worked with attorney John Tiedt in a class action lawsuit against Diaz and the Kimkins diet which resulted in financial sanctions and warnings to be placed on Kimkin's web site in October 2010. Moore included an entire chapter about the Kimkins controversy in his 21 Life Lessons From Livin' La Vida Low-Carb book.
- Moore co-authored Cholesterol Clarity with Associate Professor of Medicine, Dr. Eric C. Westman, which was published in 2013 (ISBN 978-1936608386). In Cholesterol Clarity, Moore explains the standard lipid test, and metrics contained within, such as HDL-C, LDL-C, and triglyceride count. He also suggests methods to improve these metrics. The book is critical of the lipid hypothesis.
- Moore published Keto Clarity (co-author Dr. Eric C. Westman) in 2014 (ISBN 978-1628600070). The book describes the beneficial effects of being in nutritional ketosis. Keto Clarity reached number 76 of all titles listed on Amazon.com during the week of its release.
- The Ketogenic Cookbook was published in 2015 (co-author Maria Emmerich) (ISBN 978-1628600780).
- Moore co-authored The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting with Dr. Jason Fung, which was published in 2016 (ISBN 978-1628600018).
- Moore co-authored The Keto Cure (co-author Dr. Adam Nally), April 2018 (ISBN 978-1628601299).
Moore has also written two self-published books:
- 21 Life Lessons From Livin' La Vida Low-Carb: How The Healthy Low-Carb Lifestyle Changed Everything I Thought I Knew,(2009) ISBN 1-4392-6222-5
- Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb: My Journey From Flabby Fat to Sensationally Skinny in One Year, (2005), ISBN 1-59113-804-3
- "Jimmy Moore: Livin' La Vida Low-Carb & Lovin' It «Mark's Daily Apple". marksdailyapple.com. March 13, 2011. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "World Exclusive Interview with Jimmy Moore « Adam Kosloff". why-low-carb-diets-work.com. 2009. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "Cholesterol Testing: What Matters Most? « Dr. Thomas Dayspring". askthelowcarbexperts.com. October 1, 2012. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "Jimmy Moore's Interview with Kimmer from Kimkins". Livinlavidalowcarb.com Part 1.
- public apology "Jimmy Moore's Apology to his Readers" Check
|url=value (help). Livinlavidalowcarb.com.
- "Kimkins Class Action Lawsuit". blogspot.
- "Kimkins founder Heidi Diaz found guilty". Livinlavidalowcarb.com.
- Official website
- Profile at SourceWatch
- Livin' La Vida Low-Carb weekly podcast on low-carb and related topics.
- Fasting Talk podcast Jimmy Moore and co-hosts Dr. Jason Fung and Megan Ramos discuss the health benefits of fasting (weekly).
- Keto Talk podcast Jimmy Moore and co-host Dr. Will Cole discuss the health benefits of nutritional ketosis (weekly).