|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from California's 20th district
Assumed office |
January 3, 2017
|Preceded by||Sam Farr|
James Varni Panetta|
October 1, 1969
Washington, D.C., U.S.
Monterey Peninsula College|
University of California, Davis (BA)
Santa Clara University (JD)
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
|Unit||United States Navy Reserve|
|Battles/wars||War in Afghanistan|
James Varni Panetta // (born October 1, 1969) is an American politician from the state of California. He is a member of the United States House of Representatives for California's 20th congressional district. He is the son of Leon Panetta, who represented the Monterey area in Congress for 16 years before holding such jobs as White House Chief of Staff and Secretary of Defense.
Early life and career
Panetta graduated from Carmel High School in Carmel, California. He then attended Monterey Peninsula College and University of California, Davis, graduating with a bachelor's degree in international relations. He then interned at the United States Department of State. Panetta received his law degree from Santa Clara University School of Law. He joined the United States Navy Reserve as an intelligence officer and completed a tour of duty in the War in Afghanistan in 2007 while attached to Joint Special Operations Command. Panetta worked in the Alameda County, California, prosecutor's office and as a deputy district attorney for the District Attorney's office of Monterey County, California.
U.S. House of Representatives
After incumbent Sam Farr announced in November 2015 that he would not seek reelection to the United States House of Representatives, Panetta announced his candidacy to succeed Farr in California's 20th congressional district in the 2016 election. Panetta defeated Republican Casey Lucius in the November general election.
- Committee on Agriculture
- Committee on Armed Services
Panetta is the youngest of three sons born to Leon Panetta, the former United States Secretary of Defense. His wife, Carrie, is a judge on the Monterey County Superior Court. They have two daughters.
- Larson, Amy (March 17, 2016). "Rep. Sam Farr endorses Jimmy Panetta for Congress". KSBW-TV. Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- Hennessey, Virginia (July 30, 2013). "Jimmy Panetta following in father Leon's footsteps". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- "Election 2016: Jimmy Panetta launches his campaign for Congress". Monterey Herald. Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- Herrera, James (November 17, 2015). "Election 2016: Jimmy Panetta launches campaign for Congress". Santa Cruz Sentinel. Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- Lesniewski, Niels (November 9, 2016). "New Member: Democrat Jimmy Panetta Elected in California's 20th District: Son of former Defense secretary Leon E. Panetta is heading to Congress". Roll Call. Retrieved November 10, 2016.
- Herrera, James (January 3, 2017). "Freshman Congressman Jimmy Panetta, D-Carmel Valley, sworn into office amid House ethics plan reversal". Santa Cruz Sentinel. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- Wire, Sarah D. (December 5, 2016). "This congressman will sleep in his office, and other tales from the incoming California freshmen". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 13, 2016.
- "Jimmy Panetta appointed to subcommittees". Santa Cruz Sentinel. January 24, 2017. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "Membership". Congressional Arts Caucus. Retrieved 23 March 2018.
- "Carrie Panetta appointed to Monterey superior court bench". Monterey Herald. August 29, 2013. Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- Biography at the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Profile at Vote Smart
- Financial information (federal office) at the Federal Election Commission
- Legislation sponsored at the Library of Congress
- Appearances on C-SPAN
|U.S. House of Representatives|
| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from California's 20th congressional district
|Current U.S. order of precedence (ceremonial)|
| United States Representatives by seniority