Paredes with the Philadelphia Phillies in 2016
|Born: November 25, 1988|
Bajos de Haina, Dominican Republic
|MLB: August 1, 2011, for the Houston Astros|
|NPB: March 31, 2017, for the Chiba Lotte Marines|
|KBO: March 24, 2018, for the Doosan Bears|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Runs batted in||100|
|NPB statistics |
(through 2017 season)
|Runs batted in||22|
|KBO statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Runs batted in||4|
Jimmy Santiago Paredes Terrero (born November 25, 1988), is a Dominican professional baseball utility player who is a free agent. Paredes previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Houston Astros, Kansas City Royals, Baltimore Orioles, Toronto Blue Jays, and Philadelphia Phillies, in Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) for the Chiba Lotte Marines, and in the KBO League for the Doosan Bears.
Minor league career
Paredes was signed as an amateur free agent with the New York Yankees. He made his professional debut in 2007 with the Dominican Summer Yankees 1. He came to America for the 2008 season and played with the Gulf Coast League Yankees. He played 2009 with the Staten Island Yankees of the Class A-Short Season New York–Penn League, where he was an All-Star, batting .302 with 23 steals in 54 games. He started 2010 with the Charleston RiverDogs of the Class A South Atlantic League (SAL). At the July 30 trade deadline, the Yankees traded Paredes with Mark Melancon to the Houston Astros for Lance Berkman.
The Astros assigned Paredes to the Lexington Legends of the SAL. After the season, the Astros added Paredes to their 40-man roster to protect him from the Rule 5 draft. He signed a one-year, $414,000 deal before the season started. He started the 2011 season with the Corpus Christi Hooks of the Class AA Texas League, where he was an All-Star, splitting time at second and third base, batting .271 with 29 steals and 41 runs batted in (RBIs).
Houston Astros and the waiver wire
On August 1, 2011, the Astros promoted Paredes to the major leagues to play third base, replacing the struggling Chris Johnson. In his first major league at bat, Paredes hit a two-run triple, becoming the first player in franchise history to triple in his first major league plate appearance.
In 2012, he batted .189, and in 2013 he batted .192.
On February 15 he was claimed off waivers by the Baltimore Orioles. On February 17, he was claimed off waivers by the Kansas City Royals. The Royals designated Paredes for assignment on July 16, after trading for Jason Frasor.
Paredes was acquired by the Baltimore Orioles on July 24, 2014. On September 12, 2014, Paredes hit his first career walk off hit, a double off of New York Yankees pitcher Adam Warren in a 2-1 victory.
Paredes was not seen as a top contender for the Orioles' 25-man roster going into the 2015 season. However, Paredes had an extremely impressive spring training, batting .364/.368/.636 with seven doubles, a triple, two homers and 12 RBIs. After a short stint on the disabled list to start the season, Paredes was activated to the Orioles' roster on April 18, 2015.
Through July 20, 2015, Paredes hit .294/.326/.463, with ten home runs and 39 RBIs. Despite his hot start, Paredes cooled off dramatically during the final months of the season, and he hit .275/.310/.416, with ten home runs, 42 RBIs, 17 doubles, 2 triples, 46 runs scored, and he collected exactly 100 hits. Paredes primarily played DH during the 2015 campaign, playing 81 games at the position, 11 as a pinch-hitter, eight as a third baseman, six at second base, two in right field, and one game as a pinch-runner and left fielder.
Toronto Blue Jays
On May 16, 2016, Paredes was claimed off waivers by the Toronto Blue Jays. He was designated for assignment on May 30. He played in 7 games for the Blue Jays, and hit .267 with one home run and two RBI.
Chiba Lotte Marines
- "Astros on verge of dealing Berkman to Yanks". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Astros add three pitchers, infielder to 40-man roster – Houston Chronicle". Chron.com. November 19, 2010. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Jimmy Paredes Baseball Statistics (2008–2013)". Thebaseballcube.com. November 25, 1988. Archived from the original on February 3, 2013. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- "Jimmy Paredes Minor League Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. November 25, 1988. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Levine, Zachary (August 1, 2011). "Demotions of Wallace, Johnson demonstrate peril of Astros' youth movement". MySanAntonio. Retrieved August 1, 2011.
- Rieken, Kristie (August 1, 2011). "MLB Capsules – NL: Altuve lifts Astros to win over Reds in 10". Associated Press. Retrieved August 2, 2011.
- Juan C. Rodriguez (November 4, 2013). "Miami Marlins claim Astros infielder Jimmy Paredes off waivers". Sun Sentinel. Articles.sun-sentinel.com. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Berry, Adam (February 15, 2014). "O's claim utility man Paredes off waivers". MLB.com. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- "Royals claim outfielder Jimmy Paredes off waivers from Baltimore". MLB.com. February 17, 2014. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- "Royals acquire RHP Jason Frasor from Rangers". ESPN.com. Associated Press. July 16, 2014. Retrieved July 17, 2014.
- Zuniga, Alejandro (July 24, 2014). "Orioles acquire Royals utility man Jimmy Paredes". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- Kubatko, Roch. "Jonathan Schoop to DL, Jimmy Paredes activated". MASN.
- Nicholson-Smith, Ben (May 16, 2016). "Blue Jays claim utility player Jimmy Paredes from Orioles". Sportsnet. Retrieved May 16, 2016.
- "Blue Jays recall RHP Ryan Tepera, designate INF Jimmy Paredes for assignment". Sportsnet. May 30, 2016. Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- "Jimmy Paredes Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- "Toronto Blue Jays on Twitter". Twitter. June 1, 2016. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- "ロッテが新外国人パラデスの獲得を発表！！ メジャー通算２０発のドミニカン". sanspo.com (in Japanese). January 5, 2017. Retrieved January 5, 2017.
- "Jimmy Paredes signs with Chiba Lotte Marines". fan-interference.com. January 5, 2017. Retrieved January 5, 2017.
- "Doosan Bears sign ex-MLB player Jimmy Paredes". english.yonhapnews.co.kr. December 1, 2017. Retrieved December 1, 2017.
- "Doosan Bears release ex-MLB hitter Paredes". english.yonhapnews.co.kr. June 1, 2018. Retrieved June 3, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jimmy Paredes.|