Jimmy Ryan (footballer, born 1988)
|Full name||James Ryan|
|Date of birth||6 September 1988|
|Place of birth||Liverpool, England|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|2007||→ Shrewsbury Town (loan)||1||(0)|
|2008–2009||Republic of Ireland U21||4||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 8 December 2016 (UTC).
He began his career with Liverpool, and was part of their FA Youth Cup winning teams of 2006 and 2007. He plays for Republic of Ireland at youth level. He is known for his shots from distance, which accounted for most of his goals in the two FA Youth Cup runs.
It was announced on 14 August 2007, that Ryan was to join League Two side Shrewsbury Town on a month's loan. He made his debut for Shrewsbury on 14 August 2007, playing the full 120 minutes of the 1–0 win over Colchester United in the League Cup. In October, a permanent deal was agreed, effective from 1 January 2008. In the interim period, Ryan was still technically a loan player, but was unable to play for Shrewsbury between 26 November and 1 January, due to a 93-day restriction on short-term loans. He made a total of seven appearances, before being released by the club on 29 April 2008.
In August 2008, Ryan signed for Accrington Stanley, following a trial. He scored his first goal for the Republic of Ireland U21 in Lithuania in October 2008. After his performances for Accrington Stanley throughout the 2010–11 League Two season he was voted in the PFA Team of the Year. On 28 June 2011 he signed a two-year contract with League One side Scunthorpe United. On 5 June 2013 Ryan signed a one-year contract with League Two side Chesterfield. On 1 July 2015, Ryan signed for Fleetwood Town on a free transfer.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2009). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2009–10. Mainstream Publishing. p. 364. ISBN 978-1-84596-474-0.
- "Shrewsbury net Liverpool teenager". BBC Sport. 2007-08-14. Retrieved 2007-10-26.
- "Shrews and Reds agree Ryan switch". BBC Sport. 2007-10-26. Retrieved 2007-10-26.
- "Five go as Shrews start clear-out". BBC Sport. 2008-04-29. Retrieved 2008-05-03.
- "Ryan wins contract at Accrington". BBC Sport. 2008-08-06. Retrieved 2008-08-06.