James Richard Tatro
February 16, 1992
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Education||Notre Dame High School|
|Alma mater||University of Arizona|
|Occupation||Actor, comedian, writer, YouTube personality|
James Richard Tatro (born February 16, 1992) is an American actor, comedian, writer and YouTube personality. He is the creator and star of the YouTube channel LifeAccordingToJimmy, which has about 3 million subscribers and over 510 million video views. Tatro writes, produces and directs each of his video sketches with his friend, Christian A. Pierce.
Tatro has appeared in Grown Ups 2, 22 Jump Street, Camp Manna and Blue Mountain State: The Rise of Thadland, and the music video for Freaky Friday. He also starred in the first season of the true-crime mockumentary American Vandal, as Dylan Maxwell.
Tatro was born and raised in Los Angeles, California. He attended Notre Dame High School in Sherman Oaks, California where he was known as class clown and an avid basketball fan. He started making comical videos with friends in high school, and then continued to do so at the University of Arizona. He dropped out of school his junior year. While at Arizona he was a member of the Pi Kappa Phi fraternity.
Tatro has performed stand-up comedy across the country at comedy clubs and college campuses.
Tatro's career segued into movies in 2013 with a minor role in the Adam Sandler comedy Grown Ups 2. He then appeared opposite Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum in 2014's 22 Jump Street as Rooster. In 2016, he appeared in the film adaption of Blue Mountain State.
Tatro starred alongside Gary Busey in the Christian Summer Camp comedy, Camp Manna. Tatro's character, Clayton Vance, is described as "the epitome of Christian cool, Clayton Vance is the counselor every kid wants to be. He only loves one thing more than the Lord… himself. Leader of the Righteous Regiment cabin, his alarming charisma and pedigree for 'winning souls' makes him the envy of everyone. But underneath this suave identity lies a lot of insecurity, and he will do anything it takes including lying, cheating, and manipulating Ian into his cabin - to win his fifth consecutive God Games title."
In 2017, Tatro starred in the Netflix Original series American Vandal, a "true-crime satire that explores the aftermath of a costly high school prank that left twenty-seven faculty cars vandalized with phallic images." Tatro plays Dylan Maxwell, a student accused of vandalizing the cars, and focuses on the mystery of proving his innocence. The show satirizes the popular true-crime genre, such as the Netflix series Making a Murderer.
On November 20, Tatro announced via social media that he joined the cast of Smallfoot, an 3D computer-animated comedy film as the character Thorp. The film was released in September 2018. The project marked Tatro's second collaboration with Channing Tatum, who he previously worked with on 22 Jump Street.
According to his Instagram, Tatro is also set to appear in the upcoming movie Stuber. The film is set for release in 2019.
On November 14, 2018 it was announced that the second season of Real Bros of Simi Valley, which premiered on Tatro's LifeAccordingToJimmy YouTube channel, would air on Facebook Watch. Tatro is set to star, executive produce, co-write, and direct the series.
In 2011, Tatro created his YouTube channel, LifeAccordingToJimmy, with his creative partner, Christian Pierce, in which he uploads comedy skits. As of October 2018, the channel has over 3 million subscribers. Tatro's videos have had numerous celebrity appearances, including: Angela Kinsey, David Henrie, Alexander Ludwig, Emily Osment, Darin Brooks, Milo Ventimiglia, Riff Raff, Pauly Shore, and Liliana Mumy.
|2013||Grown Ups 2||Fratboy Jimmy||Cameo|
|Homemade Movies||Thug||Episode: "Tim Burton's I'm Batman"|
|2014||22 Jump Street||Rooster|
|2015||How to Have Sex on a Plane||Lead Guy||Short film|
|Blue Mountain State: The Rise of Thadland||Dick Dawg|
|2016||Betch||Himself / Guy||1 episode|
|Boo! A Madea Halloween||Sean|
|Air Bound||Matthew||Voice role|
|2017||Drive Share||Passenger||1 episode|
|American Vandal||Dylan Maxwell||Main role, Season 1|
Nominated—Critics' Choice Television Award for Best Actor in a Movie/Miniseries
Nominated—IGN Summer Movie Award for Best Comedic TV Performance
Pending—Gold Derby Award for Best Miniseries/TV Movie Actor
|2018||Action No. 1||Brian|
|Camp Manna||Clayton Vance|
|Modern Family||Bill the Firefighter||2 episodes|
|Super Troopers 2||Lance Stonebreaker|
|The Guest Book||Bodhi||Series regular (season 2)|
- Ancestry.com. "California Birth Index, 1905-1995". – via Ancestry.com (subscription required)
- Otterson, Joe (2017-10-26). "'American Vandal' Renewed for Season 2 at Netflix". Variety. Retrieved 2017-12-14.
- Carmen Bruer (September 19, 2014). "A round of applause for comedian Jimmy Tatro". Los Angeles Loyolan. Retrieved 1 May 2015.
- Life According to Jimmy Tatro!. http://cobbscomedyclub.com/event/1C004CAF0B99E018 Cobbs Comedy Club
- "Jimmy Tatro Goes from YouTube Sensation To The Silver Screen". The Source. April 6, 2014. Retrieved May 1, 2015.
- email@example.com, MARTA HEPLER DRAHOS. "Local set, actors featured in 'Camp Manna' film". Traverse City Record-Eagle. Retrieved 2017-12-14.
- "Summer camp comedy starring Gary Busey filming in Michigan – Summer Camp Culture". www.summercampculture.com. Retrieved 2017-12-14.
- "Camp Manna - About the Film". Archived from the original on March 31, 2016. Retrieved December 14, 2017.
- American Vandal, Tyler Alvarez, Griffin Gluck, Jimmy Tatro, retrieved 2017-09-19
- Zuckerman, Esther. "American Vandal Makes Fun of Making a Murderer, with Netflix's Blessing". HWD. Retrieved 2017-12-14.
- "Smallfoot poster offers first look at Channing Tatum's Migo". Flickering Myth. 2017-11-20. Retrieved 2017-12-14.
- Pedersen, Erik (14 November 2018). "'American Vandal' Star Jimmy Tatro's 'The Real Bros Of Simi Valley' Lands At Facebook Watch". Deadline. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- "LifeAccordingToJimmy". YouTube. Retrieved 2018-10-21.
- "The NMR Top 100 YouTube Channels: 100 – 76!". New Media Rockstars. Retrieved 6 January 2015.