Jimmy the Hoover
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017)
The band formed in 1982 and comprised Simon Barker (keyboards), Derek Dunbar (vocals), Carla Duplantier (drums), Flinto Chandia (bass) (later replaced by Cris Cole) and Mark Rutherford (guitar). Their manager Malcolm McLaren chose their name and gave them a support slot on a Bow Wow Wow tour. In 1983 they signed to CBS subsidiary Innervision, and the same year they had their only hit, "Tantalise (Wo Wo Ee Yeh Yeh)".
The track was produced by Steve Levine, who also produced Culture Club's multi-million selling Colour by Numbers album that same year. A promotional video for the single was directed by Derek Jarman.
A follow-up single "Kill Me Kwik", produced by Anne Dudley of Art of Noise fame, received positive reviews in the music press but failed to chart. The group were subsequently dropped by Innervision, their record label. In 1985, another single, "Bandana Street (Use It)", appeared on a new label, MCA Records, but with no further success.
- "Tantalise (Wo Wo Ee Yeh Yeh)" (1983) CBS (UK No. 18, AUS No. 91)
- "Kill Me Kwik" (1983) CBS
- "Bandana Street (Use It)" (1985) MCA
- "Artists". Officialcharts.com. Archived from the original on 19 June 2021. Retrieved 19 June 2021.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 283. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Larkin, Colin (1995) The Guinness Encyclopedia of Popular Music, Guinness Publishing, ISBN 978-1-56159-176-3[page needed]
- Peake, Tony (2000). Derek Jarman: A Biography (1. publ. in the United States ed.). Woodstook [u.a.]: Overlook Press. p. 553. ISBN 978-1-58567-066-6.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 155. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- Listen to "Bandana Street (Use It)", iamnotthebeatles.com; accessed 30 August 2017.