Jimmy Walsh (outfielder)
|Born: September 22, 1885|
Killala, County Mayo, Ireland
|Died: July 3, 1962 (aged 76)|
Syracuse, New York
|August 26, 1912, for the Philadelphia Athletics|
|Last MLB appearance|
|October 4, 1917, for the Boston Red Sox|
|Runs batted in||150|
|Career highlights and awards|
James Charles Walsh (September 22, 1885 – July 3, 1962) was an Irish professional baseball outfielder. He played in Major League Baseball (MLB) from 1912 through 1917 for the Philadelphia Athletics (1912–13, 1914–16), New York Yankees (1914) and Boston Red Sox (1916–17). Walsh batted left-handed and threw right-handed. He was born in Kallila, Ireland. He was the only player on the 1913 World Champion Athletics who was not born in the United States.
Walsh played in over 1,800 games spanning 13 seasons in the International League, hitting better than .300 ten times. He played for the Baltimore Orioles from 1910 to 1912, then spent the rest of the decade in the American League, appearing in two World Series with the Athletics in 1914 and for the World Champion Red Sox in 1916.
In a six-season career, Walsh was a .232 hitter (410-for-1771) with six home runs and 150 RBI in 541 games, including 235 runs, 71 doubles, 31 triples, 92 stolen bases, and a .330 on-base percentage. In 492 appearances at center field (169), right field (165) and left field (162), he posted a collective .964 fielding percentage (38 errors in 1049 total chances).
Following his major league career, Walsh returned to the International League, playing on two pennant winners in Baltimore. Twice he led the league with a .357 average in 1925 and a .388 average in 1926 at the age of 41, also driving in 131 runs.
Walsh died in Syracuse, New York at age 76.
- ^ 1914 Reach Guide. p. 45. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball Reference, or Baseball Reference (Minors)
- Jimmy Walsh at Find a Grave
- Boston Red Sox players
- New York Yankees players
- Philadelphia Athletics players
- Major League Baseball outfielders
- Major League Baseball players from Ireland
- Irish baseball players
- Irish emigrants to the United States (before 1923)
- Minor league baseball managers
- Syracuse Stars (minor league baseball) players
- Albany Senators players
- Northampton Meadowlarks players
- Baltimore Orioles (IL) players
- Seattle Rainiers players
- Akron Buckeyes players
- Newark Bears (IL) players
- Jersey City Skeeters players
- Buffalo Bisons (minor league) players
- Toronto Maple Leafs (International League) players
- Indianapolis Indians players
- Hartford Senators players
- Fairmont Black Diamonds players
- 1885 births
- 1962 deaths
- Sportspeople from County Mayo