Jimmy Wilson (American football)
Wilson with the Dolphins in 2011
|No. -- Free agent|
|Date of birth:||July 30, 1986|
|Place of birth:||San Diego, California|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||205 lb (93 kg)|
|High school:||San Diego (CA) Point Loma|
|NFL Draft:||2011 / Round: 7 / Pick: 235|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2015|
James Leon "Jimmy" Wilson (born July 30, 1986) is an American football safety who is currently a free agent. He was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the seventh round of the 2011 NFL Draft. He played college football at Montana.
Wilson was selected in the seventh round (235th overall) in the 2011 NFL Draft by the Miami Dolphins. On September 25, 2011, Wilson recorded his first-career interception from Colt McCoy and the Cleveland Browns. On October 17, 2011, Wilson recorded his first-career forced fumble against Joe McKnight and the New York Jets. Wilson ended the 2011 season with 8 sacks, 5 passes defended, an interception, and a forced fumble.
On October 14, 2012, Wilson recorded his second-career forced fumble against Brit Miller and the St. Louis Rams. On October 28, 2012, Wilson recorded his first-career sack against Mark Sanchez and the New York Jets. Wilson also blocked a punt for a touchdown against Robert Malone in the same game. On November 11, 2012, Wilson recorded his second-career sack on Jake Locker against the Tennessee Titans. Wilson ended the 2012 season with 35 tackles, 4 passes defended, a forced fumble and a career-high 2 sacks.
On September 22, 2013, Wilson grabbed his 2nd interception off Matt Ryan and the Atlanta Falcons. On September 30, 2013, Wilson recorded his 3rd forced fumble off Darren Sproles and the New Orleans Saints. On November 11, 2013, Wilson took his 3rd interception off Mike Glennon and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Wilson ended the 2013 season with 37 tackles, 5 passes defended, a forced fumble and a career-high 2 interceptions.
On September 28, 2014, Wilson recorded his 4th interception off Matt McGloin and the Oakland Raiders. Wilson ended the 2014 season with a career-high 57 tackles, 2 passes defended, and an interception.
San Diego Chargers
On March 13, 2015, Wilson signed a two-year, $4.85 million contract with the San Diego Chargers. On September 20, 2015, Wilson recorded his first-career fumble recovery off Jeremy Hill and the Cincinnati Bengals. On October 12, 2015, Wilson caught his 5th interception from Michael Vick and the Pittsburgh Steelers. On November 29, 2015, Wilson recorded his 3rd-career sack off Blake Bortles and the Jacksonville Jaguars. On December 15, 2015, Wilson was released by the Chargers.
Kansas City Chiefs
On June 2, 2007, Wilson was accused of shooting and killing the boyfriend of his aunt, 29-year-old Kevin Smoot of Lancaster, California. Wilson was subsequently arrested on June 12, 2007, on murder charges by the State of California. Two murder trials were held, in the first trial the jury was unable to reach a verdict after a week of deliberation, and the second trial ended on July 9, 2009, in an acquittal by the jury as his attorney argued Wilson acted in self-defense during the altercation.
- Neighbor, Fritz (2011-04-30). "UM's Jimmy Wilson drafted by Dolphins". Missoulian. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Colt McCoy rallies Browns past winless Dolphins". ESPN.com. 2011-09-26. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Miami Dolphins vs. New York Jets - Play-By-Play - October 17, 2011". Fox Sports. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "St. Louis Rams at Miami Dolphins - October 14th, 2012". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- Klemko, Robert (2012-10-28). "Dolphins CB: We took advantage of Tim Tebow". USA Today. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "WK 8 Can't-Miss Play: Dolphins blocked punt for TD". NFL.com. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Titans vs. Dolphins - November 11, 2012". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Miami Dolphins safety Jimmy Wilson picks off Matt Ryan". NFL.com. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- DeMocker, Michael (2013-10-01). "Sproles fumble: Miami Dolphins vs. New Orleans Saints". NOLA.com. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- LeBlanc, Dory (2013-11-11). "Bucs Pick Up First Win Under The Monday Night Football Lights". 620 WDAE. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Oakland Raiders quarterback Matt McGloin intercepted by Miami Dolphins safety Jimmy Wilson". NFL.com. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- Shook, Nick (2015-03-13). "Chargers sign Jimmy Wilson to two-year, $4.85M deal". NFL.com. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- "Chargers Jimmy Wilson recovers fumble". NFL.com. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- "Chargers Jimmy Wilson intercepts pass". NFL.com. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- "Chargers vs. Jaguars - November 29, 2015". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- Williams, Eric (December 15, 2015). "Chargers release Jimmy Wilson". ESPN.com. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- Florio, Mike (April 1, 2016). "Jimmy Wilson swaps out Chargers for Chiefs". NBCSports.com. Retrieved May 29, 2016.
- Jackson, Zac (May 3, 2016). "Chiefs release Jimmy Wilson, Cameron Gordon". NBCSports.com. Retrieved May 29, 2016.
- Marcum, Jason (2016-07-28). "Bengals sign former Dolphins, Chargers safety Jimmy Wilson". Cincy Jungle. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- Toback, Rebecca (2016-09-02). "Bengals release veteran safety Jimmy Wilson". Cincy Jungle. Retrieved 2016-09-26.
- "Jury acquits former Griz player in shooting death". Billings Gazette. 2009-07-09. Retrieved 2016-07-29.
- Mortensen, Chris (April 18, 2011). "Back on track, hoping for a chance". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2014-08-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jimmy Wilson (American football).|