Motto in English
|loyalty, sincerity, integrity and respect|
|Party Secretary||Lin Rupeng|
|Location||Tianhe District, Guangzhou, Guangdong, China|
Jinan University (JNU) is a public research and comprehensive university based in Tianhe District, Guangzhou, Guangdong province, China. It is one of the oldest universities established on mainland China tracing back to the Qing dynasty (1644–1911). Its mission is to spread Chinese learning and culture from North to South, and from China overseas. Jinan University was the first university in China to recruit foreign students, and is currently the Chinese university with the largest number of international students.
In 1996, it was included in the state's Project 211 for development of key universities. It is a university administered by the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council and the Chinese Ministry of Education.
In 1906, Duanfang, the Viceroy of Liangjiang, submitted a memorandum to the Guangxu Emperor, proposing that an overseas Chinese school be set up for the purpose of spreading far and wide the enlightening influence of education and strengthening the emotional ties with compatriots overseas. The Guangxu Emperor approved of his proposal and thus Duanfang was honored as the founder of Jinan University. On March 23, 1907. Jinan Academy was founded in Nanjing, becoming the first of its kind in Chinese history and serving as a curtain-raiser for the later development of overseas Chinese education.
In 1927, Jinan Academy was renamed Jinan National University, located in Shanghai. After the founding of the People's Republic of China (PRC) in 1949, Jinan University was closed and its schools were merged with those of other university such as Fudan University. In 1958, Jinan University was reestablished in Guangzhou.
The name "Jinan" (also Chi-Nan "reaching southward") comes from the Classic of History, a compilation of documentary records related to events in ancient Chinese history. The articles reads, "His speech and teachings spread from South, from China to the rest of the world.
- 1906 - Jinan Academy, the predecessor of Jinan University was established in Nanjing.
- 1918 - Jinan Academy moved to Shanghai.
- 1927 - Jinan Academy was renamed Jinan National University.
- 1941-1946 - Jinan University moved to Fujian Province during the Second Sino-Japanese War.
- 1949 - Jinan National University was merged into Fudan University and Jiaotong University.
- 1958 - Jinan University was re-established in Guangzhou.
- 1983 - Jinan University pioneered in the country the implementation of credit system.
- 1996 - Jinan University passed the pre-examination of the "211 program" related department and was put into the "top 100 normal universities" list, which would get prior construction in the 21st century.
- 2001 - College of Journalism and Communication, College of Information Science and Technology, College of Foreign Studies, Pharmacy College, Law School and International School were established.
- 2002 - Jinan University started to launch EMBA Program with approval from the Degree Administration Office of the State Council. As one of the first group of universities.
- 2006 - The celebration ceremony of the 100th Anniversary of Jinan University was held.
- 2011 - The Graduate School of Jinan University was established.
- 2014 - The new campus was established in Guangzhou Higher Education Mega Center.
Location and campus
The university has five campuses:
- Main campus, Tianhe District, Guangzhou
- College of Chinese language and culture, Guangzhou
- new campus, Guangzhou (Completed in 2014)
- Zhuhai Campus, Zhuhai
- Tourism College, Shenzhen
Jinan University has 27 colleges, comprising 59 departments and offering 89 undergraduate major fields. Among the 55 departments, 43 departments offer master's degree programs and 19 departments offer Ph.D degree granting programs. There are 15 postdoctoral research stations, 182 research institutes and 77 labs in Jinan University. The university has four national key disciplines, eight key disciplines of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council, 20 Guangdong Province Level-I key disciplines, and four Guangdong Province Level-II key disciplines. The university also has a key research base of national humanity and social sciences, a teaching and research base for Chinese language and literature of the Education Ministry, a base for national university cultural quality education, a base of national base for teaching Chinese as a foreign language, an educational base for overseas Chinese education of the Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council and a key research base of humanity and social science of Guangdong Province. Still, the university has one national engineering center, 7 ministerial centers (engineering centers of the Ministry of Education) and provincial centers, and 11 key ministerial and provincial key laboratories. There are 50,535 students in the university, including 10,767 graduates and 22,527 undergraduates. The number of overseas students, including foreign students, overseas Chinese students, students from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan, is 13,512.
The current president of the university is Dr. Hu Jun. It has recently started a new undergraduate course MBBS, with Indian students mainly.
- One of the oldest universities in China and one of the "211" key national universities in China
- The first university in China to recruit foreign students
- The first university in China to enroll students at both spring and autumn semesters
- The first university that pioneered the implementation of credit system in China
- The university with the largest number of overseas students
- The only university which have alumni in both Chinese and foreign state-level leaders in China
Jinan University has been active at academic exchanges, and has established academic cooperation or academic exchange liaison with more than 180 universities and research institutes in Asia, the Americas, Europe, and Oceania. It partnered with City University, Malaysia to form an international think tank on Sino-Malaysian cooperation under the Belt and Road Initiative.
Now the university has 57 regional alumni associations all over the world.
Colleges and schools
- International School
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Foreign Studies
- College of Journalism and Communication
- College of Arts
- College of Economics
- Management School
- Law school
- Department of international studies
- College of Intellectual Property
- College of Science and Engineering
- College of Information Science and Technology
- College of Life Science and Technology
- Medical school
- The First Clinical Medical School
- The Second Clinical Medical School
- Pharmacy College
- College of Chinese Language and Culture
- School of Humanities
- School of Translation Studies
- International Business School
- College of Electrical & Information
- Shenzhen Tourism College of Jinan University
- Education College
The International School is a college which provides programs taught exclusively in English. The School was established to cater to the escalating needs of Overseas Chinese and foreign students and selected high-caliber students from China. The Undergraduate Programs include Computer Science (CS), International Economics and Trade (IET), Clinical Medicine (CM), Accounting (CPA Canada), Food Quality and Safety, Pharmacy, Public Administration (ADM), Finance (FNC) and Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS).
Base on JNU humanity tradition and accumulation of disciplines, School of Management tries the best to be one of top business schools in China for cultivating talents in management, it has deep understanding in Chinese culture, globalization with modern business education.
College of Chinese Language and Culture
The College was conferred as the "National Base of Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language" by The Education Ministry, and "Overseas Chinese Education Base" by Overseas Chinese Affairs Office of the State Council. The College has become the top college in South China offering the programs of teaching Chinese as a second or foreign language and overseas Chinese education.
The college consists of the Department of Teaching Chinese as a Second or Foreign Language, the Department of Overseas Chinese Education, the Department of Applied Linguistics, Pre-University Department, Correspondence Course Department, Overseas Chinese Education Researching Institute, Overseas Chinese Researching Center, and Internet & Educational Technology Center.
- Wu Xueqian, former Chinese Foreign Minister.
- Li Lanqing, Chinese politician.
- Jack C. K. Teng, Chinese educator, writer, politician, diplomat and Olympic pioneer.
- Lee Kong Chian, prominent Chinese businessman and philanthropist active in Malaya and Singapore from the 1930s to the 1960s.
- Huang Binhong, Chinese art historian and literati painter born in Jinhua in Zhejiang province.
- Cheng Yiu-tong, Hong Kong politician.
- Zhang Tielin, Chinese actor and film director, dean of the art school of Jinan University.
- Su Bingtian, Chinese track and field athlete who competes in sprints.
- Lau Cheok Va, President of the Legislative Assembly of Macau.
- Kwan Tsui Hang, member of the Legislative Assembly of Macau.
- Ho Iat Seng, member of the Legislative Assembly of Macau.
- Wong Kwok-hing, Hong Kong trade unionist and member of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong.
- "校训 校徽 校歌". Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- "JNU Motto & Spirit". Retrieved July 1, 2014.
- "Jinan University »". Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Jinan University". Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- Office of International and Hong Kong,Macao and Taiwan of Jinan University
- "马来西亚城市大学校长一行访问我校 共商成立"一带一路"中马联合智库 - 暨南大学新闻网". news.jnu.edu.cn. Retrieved 7 June 2017.
- The History of Jinan University Alumni Association
- "Jinan University". Archived from the original on 28 June 2015. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Jinan University". Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "The College of Chinese Language and Culture of Jinan University". Retrieved 18 July 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jinan University.|
- Jinan University Official website (in Chinese)
- Jinan University Official website (in English)
- Jinan University International School website (in English)