Jingmen in November 2017
Location of Jingmen City in Hubei and the PRC
|Coordinates (Jingmen municipal government): Coordinates:|
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Municipal seat||Dongbao District|
|• Prefecture-level city||12,404 km2 (4,789 sq mi)|
| • Urban|
|248.70 km2 (96.02 sq mi)|
|• Districts||2,251.9 km2 (869.5 sq mi)|
|• Prefecture-level city||3,023,000|
|• Density||240/km2 (630/sq mi)|
| • Urban|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
|ISO 3166 code||CN-HB-08|
|- Total||CN¥120.261 billion|
|- Per capita||CN¥37,649|
|Licence plate prefixes||鄂H|
Jingmen (simplified Chinese: 荆门; traditional Chinese: 荆門; pinyin: Jīngmén; Wade–Giles: Ching1mên2) is a prefecture-level city in central Hubei province, People's Republic of China. Jingmen is within an area where cotton and oil crops are planted. The population of the prefecture is 2,873,687 (2010 population census). The urban area of Jingmen City has a population of about 400,000. Jingmen is so named as in ancient times it was the gateway to Jingzhou, one of the Nine Provinces and means literally Gateway to Jingzhou.
- Dongbao District (东宝区)
- Duodao District (掇刀区)
- Zhongxiang city (钟祥市)
- Jingshan city (京山市)
- Shayang County (沙洋县)
- Jingmen Advanced Technology Area (荆门高新技术产业园区 or 荆门高新区)
- Zhanghe New Area (漳河新区)
- Qujialing Management District (屈家岭管理区)
Dongbao District "downtown" is located about 3 hours away from Wuhan by bus or rail. A new train service was introduced from Jingmen to Wuhan in 2004. Jingmen is very close to many great tourist attractions such as Changban Slope of Three Kingdoms fame, the Wudang Mountains, and the Ming Tomb in Zhongxiang (a World Heritage site only an hour away). As it is located in central China, Jingmen is within easy reach of almost anywhere in the country, taking about 18 hours to either Beijing or Guangzhou by train, or two hours by train to Yichang, home of the Gezhouba Dam project and Three Gorges Dam. From here travellers can fly to many destinations.
The Dongbao District "downtown" has three north-south parallel roads:
- Xiangshan Dadao - The main avenue of Jingmen City. Most governmental buildings are here. Most civil functions, including hospitals, recreational areas, hotels, and the only university in Jingmen - Jingchu University of Technology, are alongside the road.
- Changning Dadao - All big telecommunication companies set up there branches here. Also there are many cellphone shops. The Jingmen railway station is to the north of Changning Dadao.
- Baiyun Dadao - The inner city part of National Highway 207, and a route to the Xiangfan-Jingzhou Highway.
- Jinxia Lu - Not a main avenue, but an important street in the city centre with shops and schools.
Crisscrossing these three roads are the roads Xiangshan 1st to 3rd, so by using these main arteries it is possible to go almost anywhere in Jingmen. Xiangshan 3 road leads behind the Jingmen Foreign Language school and doesn't actually provide a direct link from Xiangshan Dadao to Changning Dadao.
The main commercial area is Zhongtian Street (formerly Jiefang (Liberty) Road), a pedestrian only street, which also crisscrosses the three main roads.
Jingmen is surrounded by hills within easy reach.
Jingmen has a typical humid subtropical climate, with January the coldest month and July the hottest month. The temperature goes up to 38 °C at noon with uncomfortable humidity in July, but also goes below 0 °C in winter, with snow every year. Rainfall is high in April to September, with less in autumn and winter. The first member of the Jingmenvirus group was described in 2014 and named the Jingmen tick virus (JMTV) because it was isolated from a tick sampled in Jingmen.
|Climate data for Jingmen (1981–2010 normals)|
|Average high °C (°F)||8.0
|Daily mean °C (°F)||3.8
|Average low °C (°F)||0.6
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||21.1
|Average relative humidity (%)||70||70||71||72||72||77||81||80||74||74||72||69||74|
|Source: China Meteorological Administration|
Jingchu University of Technology (Chinese: 荆楚理工学院, JUT), Formerly Jingmen University) founded in early 2007, is the only university in the city of Jingmen. JUT has undergraduate programs on engineering, art, science, management, and nursing. Jingchu University of Technology is a public undergraduate institute approved by China's Ministry of Education. It is located in Jingmen, Hubei, a famous historical and cultural city known as the “Gate of Jingchu”. It covers a land area of 147.71 hectares, with a school-building construction area of 300 thousands square meters. It is equipped with different modern teaching and scientific instruments .
Notable high schools include Longquan High School, No.1 High School of Jingmen City and Dongbao High School. Longquan High School has a good reputation within Hubei province. Notable middle schools include the private Foreign Language School of Jingmen City, Haihui Middle School and Xiangshan Middle School. Notable primary schools include Jingmen Experimental Primary School, Red Flag Primary School of Jingmen City and Daqiao (Rail Bridge) Primary School.
Two expressways go through Jingmen, the Wuhan-Jingmen-Yichang Expressway (part of G42 Shanghai-Chengdu Expressway) and the Xiangyang-Jingmen-Jingzhou Expressway (part of G55 Erenhot-Guangzhou Expressway). The Wuhan-Jingmen section has been completed by 2010. The completion halves traveling time between Wuhan and Jingmen to two hours. China National Highway 207 also passes through Jingmen City.
Jingmen is served by the Jiaozuo-Liuzhou Railway and the local Jingmen-Shashi Railway and Changjiangbu-Jingmen Railways. Traveling to Jingmen by railway is convenient, though takes time.
The largest industry in Jingmen is petroleum refining. The Jingmen Branch of Sinopec is a main producer of oil products in central China, refining crude oil extracted from Nanyang Oilfield in Henan province and the Jianghan Oilfield in Hubei province.
Jingmen is a developing logistic hub in central China. Li Ning has set up its largest distribution center in Jingmen, to link southeastern production and consumption from all over China.
On July 30, 2014 the mayor of Jingmen, Xiao Juhua, signed a Sister City agreement with the rural Canadian township of North Glengarry in Eastern Ontario.
- Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development, ed. (2019). China Urban Construction Statistical Yearbook 2017. Beijing: China Statistics Press. p. 66. Retrieved 11 January 2020.
- 荆门市历史沿革. XZQH.org. 7 December 2011. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- 2016年统计用区划代码和城乡划分代码：荆门市 [2016 Statistical Area Numbers and Rural-Urban Area Numbers: Jingmen City] (in Chinese). National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. 2016. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
统计用区划代码 名称 420801000000 市辖区 420802000000 东宝区 420804000000 掇刀区 420821000000 京山县 420822000000 沙洋县 420881000000 钟祥市
- 荆门简介 [Overview of Jingmen] (in Chinese). Jingmen People's Government. 7 October 2016. Archived from the original on 7 April 2018. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- Qin, X.-C.; Shi, M.; Tian, J.-H.; Lin, X.-D.; Gao, D.-Y.; He, J.-R.; Wang, J.-B.; Li, C.-X.; Kang, Y.-J.; Yu, B.; Zhou, D.-J.; Xu, J.; Plyusnin, A.; Holmes, E. C.; Zhang, Y.-Z. (21 April 2014). "A tick-borne segmented RNA virus contains genome segments derived from unsegmented viral ancestors". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 111 (18): 6744–6749. doi:10.1073/pnas.1324194111. PMC 4020047. PMID 24753611.
- 中国气象数据网 - WeatherBk Data (in Chinese). China Meteorological Administration. Retrieved 2020-04-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jingmen.|
|Look up Jingmen or Ching-men in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|