Jinnah Medical and Dental College
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Private medical school & dental school|
|Affiliation||See list for affiliations|
|Chancellor||Elahi Bux Soomro|
Jinnah Medical and Dental College (Urdu: جناح میڈیکل اینڈ ڈینٹل کالج or JMDC) was established in 1998 in Karachi, Sindh Pakistan. It is located in the heart of Karachi on Shaheed-e-Millat Road. The first batch of doctors and dentists graduated from JMDC in 2003 and 2004 whereas first batch of pharmacy graduated in 2009. The college is affiliated with the University of Karachi, which awards MBBS, BDS and pharm-D degrees to its graduates. Graduates from JMDC are eligible to sit for foreign qualifying examinations such as USMLE (ECFMG) and PLAB.
To date, JMDC students have earned over 578 distinctions in MBBS subjects and over 348 distinctions in BDS subjects on the Professional Examinations conducted by the University of Karachi. It is also recognized by the Pakistan Medical and Dental Council.
- 1974 Medicare Hospital
- 1997 Medicare School of Nursing
- 1998 College of Medicine
- 1999 College of Dentistry
- 2000 Medicare Dental Hospital
- 2002 Jinnah Medical College Hospital
- 2009 Jinnah College of Nursing
- 2015 Medicare Cardiac & General Hospital
S. M. Sohail Trust
S.M.Sohail Trust is named after a legal luminary of Karachi, who was an active participant in the freedom movement as President of Provincial Muslim League and also President of Bihar Relief Fund. After 1947, he became Secretary of the Pakistan Bar Council, founding Managing Director of Karachi Co-operative Housing Union and Chairman Public Accounts Committee of West Pakistan Assembly. He was an ardent advocate of education and founded Sharfabad English School. His son, Professor Dr. Syed Tariq Sohail, an eminent Psychiatrist, Educationist and Civil Society Activist, inherited Mr. S. M. Sohail’s passion for education. He established the S.M. Sohail Trust in 1996, which owns Jinnah Medical and Dental College and the attached teaching Hospitals: Jinnah Medical College Hospital, Medicare Dental Hospital and Medicare Heart and General.
The decision taken by the Trust to establish a new medical college was based on its desire to raise the standards of medical education in Pakistan. Conscious that a high level of professional competence has to be attained by medical students, the Trust planned a system of instruction in which the emphasis is on interactive, small group tutorials, problem-based and community-based learning, relevant to our particular culture.
As the world is shrinking rapidly, Jinnah Medical and Dental College students are encouraged to keep abreast of the latest developments in the medical sciences. Other vital aspects of education, too often ignored by medical educationists are emphasized to include communication skills, language skills and courses in humanities. As part of the curriculum, students will also be trained to write and speak effectively, giving them the confidence to pursue graduate studies and participate effectively in seminars and conferences at national and international levels. The College desires its students to develop leadership qualities and a team spirit.
The strategy for fulfilling this Mission is based on student-teacher interaction, community-based instruction, and further support in the form of a good library, audio-visual aids, skills laboratory, computer-assisted learning and an active humanities department.
Board of Governors
- Dr. Syed Tariq Sohail – Managing Trustee, S.M.Sohail Trust, Consultant Psychiatrist, Former Federal Health Adviser
- Mr. Elahi Bux Soomro – Former Principal, NED Engineering College, Former Speaker, Pakistan National Assembly
- Dr. Manzoor Ahmed – Educationalist, Founding Vice Chancellor, Hamdard University
- Mrs Bano Roshan Ali Bhimjeee – Business Person
- Mr. Syed Adnan Tariq Sohail – Executive Director
- Mrs. Ghazala Tariq Sohail – Director Nursing
- Mr. Abdus Samad – Financial Controller
Affiliation, Recognition and Listings
- The University of Karachi – All Professional Examinations are conducted by the University of Karachi which issues the official mark sheets and final degree for the students.
- Pakistan Medical and Dental Council (PMDC) – JMDC and JMCH (Attached Hospital) are recognized for MBBS and BDS studies and house job.
- College of Physicians and Surgeons (CPSP) – Recognizes JMCH for Postgraduate Training in Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Listed in the World Health Organization Directory of Medical Schools.
Graduates are eligible for USMLE, PLAB and other licensing examinations.
- Medical Board of California for Postgraduate Training Authorization.
- Medical Board of Texas for Postgraduate Training.
- Vanderbilt University for undergraduate electives.
- Jinnah Medical College Hospital
- Medicare Dental Hospital
- Medicare Heart & General
- LRBT Eye Hospital