Jiro Ono (chef)
Jiro Ono serving Prime Minister Abe and President Obama at Sukiyabashi Jiro in April 2014
October 27, 1925 |
Tenryū, Shizuoka, Japan
Jiro Ono (小野 二郎 Ono Jirō?, born 27 October 1925) is a Japanese chef and owner of Sukiyabashi Jiro, a three-Michelin-starred Japanese sushi restaurant in Ginza, Chūō, Tokyo, Japan. Ono has been regarded by his contemporaries and peers as the greatest sushi craftsman alive and is credited with innovating methods used in modern sushi preparation.
Ono was born in the city of Tenryū (present-day Hamamatsu) in Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan. He started working at a local restaurant from the age of seven, before moving to Tokyo to study as an apprentice. He became a qualified sushi chef in 1951, and in 1965 opened his own restaurant, Sukiyabashi Jiro, in Ginza, Tokyo.
Ono has two sons, Yoshikazu Ono and Takashi Ono, both of whom are also sushi chefs. His younger son Takashi manages his own Michelin-starred restaurant. Jiro Ono was the subject of David Gelb's 2011 documentary film Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Ono fears that overfishing will cause key ingredients used in traditional sushi to disappear.
- Gordinier, Jeff (28 February 2012). "Jiro Ono, a Sushi Legend, Is Captured in a New Documentary". New York Times. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- Gordinier, Jeff (29 October 2013). "Sushi's New Vanguard". New York Times. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Cast & Staff". Jiro Dreams of Sushi (in Japanese). Japan: Transformer Inc. 2011. Retrieved 1 February 2016.
- Nick Visser (2014-11-05). "Jiro Ono Contemplates The End Of Sushi As We Know It". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- "Jiro Ono warns of raw deal from overfishing". NY Daily News. 2014-11-04. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- Zeke J Miller (2014-04-23). "Barack Obama Just Ate The Best Sushi In The World". TIME.com. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
- Joachim, David S. (23 April 2014). "Obama's First Order of Business in Tokyo: Sushi From the Master". New York Times. Retrieved 2015-04-03.
‘I was born in Hawaii and ate a lot of sushi, but this was the best sushi I’ve ever had in my life.