|Time zone||IRST (UTC+3:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||IRDT (UTC+4:30)|
Jiroft (Persian: جيرفت, also Romanized as Jīroft; formerly, Sabzāwārān, Sabzevārān, Sabzevārān-e Jiroft, and Sabzvārān) is a city in and the capital of Jiroft County, Kerman Province, Iran. At the 2006 census, its population was 95,031, in 19,926 families. It is located 230 kilometres (140 mi) south of the city of Kerman, and 1,375 kilometres (854 mi) south of Tehran along Road 91. In the past it was also called Sabzevaran, and on account of its being very fertile land it is famous as Hend-e-Koochak (the little India).
Jiroft is located in a vast plain, Halil River, on the southern outskirts of the Jebal Barez mountain chain, surrounded by two rivers. The mean elevation of the city is about 650-metres above sea level. The weather of the city is very warm in summer and temperatures are moderate in winter. It is one of the hottest places in Iran.
There is a large dam (Jiroft Dam) upstream the city (40 km North-East of Jiroft) on the Halil River (Halilrood). It is under operation since 1992. Having a reservoir of more than 410 million cubic meters of water, irrigates 14200 hectars of the downstream and generates electricity.
The name "Jiroft" has recently become known in archaeological circles, after Iran's Cultural Organization announced the discovery of remains from an ancient city buried near the current city of Jiroft, leading to theories proposing the remains belong to a forgotton culture known as the Jiroft civilization.
The city is served by Jiroft Airport, located several kilometres to the northwest.
- Jiroft can be found at GEOnet Names Server, at this link, by opening the Advanced Search box, entering "-3068011" in the "Unique Feature Id" form, and clicking on "Search Database".
- "Census of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 1385 (2006)". Islamic Republic of Iran. Archived from the original (Excel) on 2011-11-11.
- Abdolreza Bahremand, 1997, MSc thesis, Flood routing through the Jiroft Dam reservoir, Tehran University, Iran.
- jiroft info اطلاعات در مورد جیرفت
- Jiroft civilization
- مستند تمدنی گم شدهlost civilization documentary: 
- مصاحبه باستان شناس مجید زاده 
|This Jiroft County location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|