Jisoo (singer, born 1995)
Jisoo at the Incheon Airport heading to Amsterdam on May 16, 2019.
January 3, 1995
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Ji-su|
Kim Ji-soo (Korean: 김지수; born January 3, 1995), better known mononymously as Jisoo, is a South Korean singer and actress. She made her debut in August 2016 as a member of the girl group Blackpink under YG Entertainment.
2011–2016: Career beginnings and debut with Blackpink
In 2011, Jisoo joined YG Entertainment through auditions as a trainee. In 2015, she made a cameo appearance in the KBS2 drama The Producers with label-mates Sandara Park of 2NE1 and Kang Seung-yoon of Winner and featured in several advertisements, including those for Samsonite alongside actor Lee Min-ho, Smart Uniform, LG Electronics, and Nikon.
Jisoo debuted as one of the four members of Blackpink on August 8, 2016, alongside Jennie, Rosé and Lisa, with the release of their single album Square One. Jisoo is the oldest member of Blackpink.
2017–present: Solo endeavors and acting
From 2017 to 2018, Jisoo joined Inkigayo as an MC alongside Got7's Jin-young and NCT's Doyoung. She ventured into acting in 2019 with a short cameo appearance in the tvN fantasy drama Arthdal Chronicles. On August 18, 2020 YG Entertainment confirmed Jisoo would star in her first fixed role as a lead actress in the upcoming JTBC drama Snowdrop. Notably, through Blackpink's first Korean-language studio album, The Album, Jisoo co-wrote their lead single, "Lovesick Girls".
Impact and influence
In Gallup Korea's annual music poll for 2018, Jisoo was ranked the tenth most trending idol in South Korea, receiving 4.8% of the votes. In April 2019, she was ranked the tenth most followed K-pop idol on Instagram, with 12.8 million followers. In 2019, Jisoo was also ranked as the sixth most popular female K-pop idol in a survey of soldiers doing mandatory military service in South Korea. In 2019 she was chosen as a part of the BoF 500, a "definitive professional index" of people shaping the $2.4 trillion fashion industry.
Jisoo was included in the ranking for the top ten celebrities and influencers leading the world of cosmetics for the first five months of 2020. Women's Wear Daily, a fashion industry trade journal, revealed that Jisoo led the ranking in average engagement per post, followed by Rihanna and Kylie Jenner. She placed 7th in the overall ranking, with the fewest posts – just 12 in total. She was the only Asian to be included in the list.
In June 2020, Jisoo's look in the teasers for Blackpink's pre-release single, "How You Like That", went viral within social media. Celebrities and influencers from South Korea, China, Thailand, and Vietnam, recreated her "two-bow hairstyle" and makeup, which she created herself. Jisoo's "dot style", a makeup idea created on her own, also trended on social media platforms including Instagram, followed with the hashtag #JisooMakeup to inspire the challenge among overseas fans.
In September 2020, founder and designer of Self-Portrait, Han Chong, named Jisoo as one of Asia's It-Girls celebrity alongside band-mate Lisa. Jisoo also ranked first on the girl group's personal brand reputation, created by Korea Enterprise Research Institute to measure data analysis of brands followed with consumers online habit in significant impact on brand consumption and interest.  Director of Korean Language Research Institute, Seong-sun Lim, mentioned the huge Korean Wave in the Global community has rapidly destroying the conventional Western cultural dominance. He also named Jisoo alongside Jungkook as World's Beauty standard, took over the status of Olivia Hussey and James Dean.
In 2020, Dior's increase in sales during the COVID-19 pandemic in South Korea was also attributed to its marketing campaign which utilised many Korean pop singers including Jisoo. Jisoo featured in the successful launch of Dior's new Bobby bag, a campaign which featured other prominent influencers such as Chiara Ferragni and Kat Graham. Actress Liza Soberano also cited to get inspired a fashion look with Dior's Oblique scarf after Jisoo's featured in the Dior's Fall/Winter 2020 campaign.
In December 2019, Jisoo became a local ambassador for Dior's cosmetics brand "Dior Beauty". The next summer, Jisoo was recruited to be Dior's muse and modelled for Dior's Fall/Winter 2020 collection; In September 2020, Jisoo covered the 155th Edition 2020 of Dazed Korea, where she discussed her work with Dior. She was also appointed as the first protagonist for Cartier Digital Project in the return of "Pasha de Cartier" for Korean MZ generations.
|2020||Blackpink||"Lovesick Girls"||The Album||Yes||No|||
|2019||Arthdal Chronicles||Sae Na-rae||tvN|||
|2021||Snowdrop||Eun Young-cho||JTBC||Lead role|||
|2014||"Spoiler + Happen Ending"||Epik High|||
|"I'm Different"||Hi Suhyun ft. Bobby|||
Awards and nominations
- Herman, Tamar (October 22, 2018). "BLACKPINK Sign With Interscope Records & UMG in Global Partnership With YG Entertainment: Exclusive". Billboard. Retrieved November 23, 2018.
- "Jisoo". The Business of Fashion. September 30, 2019. Retrieved October 6, 2019.
- "A beginner's guide to Blackpink, the all-singing, all-rapping, all-female K-pop band" NME. January 4, 2019.
- Son, Minji (June 23, 2017). "[아이돌 고향을 찾아서①] 우리 고향 아이돌 누가 있을까". Sports Tendency (in Korean). Retrieved April 20, 2019.[failed verification]
- "WILD ROMANCE! Blackpink and Lady Gaga are teaming up" ABS-CBN. May 3, 2020.
- "BLACKPINK Members Spotted at Jisoo's Brother Wedding Party". May 11, 2019.
- "BLACKPINK's Jisoo's family is one of K-Pop's most attractive families". June 13, 2020.
- Lee, Mi-hyun (November 15, 2016). "BlackPink's long journey to the top : After six years as trainees, YG's newest girl group now dominates the charts". Korea Joongang Daily. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- "'아스달 연대기' 측 "블랙핑크 지수 출연, 역할 방송통해 확인 부탁"(공식입장)". Newsen. June 6, 2019. Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- "YG 신인 걸그룹 김지수, 데뷔 전부터 이민호와 CF모델 발탁". Ten Asia. January 16, 2015. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- "Kim JISOO & iKON & Chosen as School Uniform models 'Smart Uniform'". Blackpink YG. August 25, 2015. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- "iKON Together with YG's Kim Jisoo Became New Commercial Models for LG Smart Phones". YG United. March 24, 2016. Archived from the original on July 10, 2019. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- "Small but strong ... Nikon announces Nikon 1 J5 lens interchangeable camera". The Korea Herald (in Korean). April 2, 2015. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- "Everything to Know About K-Pop Group BLACKPINK" Time. April 3, 2019.
- "블랙핑크 지수 "'인기가요' MC 하차, 블랙핑크로 돌아오겠다" 소감". Osen (in Korean). February 4, 2018. Retrieved May 29, 2019.
- "BLACKPINK's Jisoo & 2PM's Nichkhun Are Confirmed To Appear On Arthdal Chronicles". E! Online. June 11, 2019. Retrieved June 24, 2019.
- "'화제성+신선함' 동시에…아이돌 스타들, 드라마 러브콜". Sports Dong-a (in Korean). September 22, 2020. Retrieved September 22, 2020.
- "인간 명품'으로 등극한 스타 3 | 엘르코리아". Herald Pop (in Korean). September 29, 2020. Retrieved September 29, 2020.
- "2018년 올해를 빛낸 가수와 가요 - 최근 12년간 추이 포함" (in Korean). Gallup Korea. November 30, 2018.
- Hicap, Jonathan (December 26, 2018). "Gallup Korea names favorite singers, songs in 2018". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved May 29, 2019.
- "Blackpink's Lisa most followed K-pop idol on Instagram". The Straits Times. April 17, 2019. Retrieved May 29, 2019.
- "Sana de Twice es elegida la cantante más popular por los soldados de Corea del Sur". La República (in Spanish). November 10, 2019. Retrieved June 13, 2020.
- "Beauty Celebs, Influencers Keep Engaging Better Than Brands on Social Media". Women's Wear Daily. June 30, 2020. Retrieved July 8, 2020.
- "Beauty, Kylie Jenner, and Rihanna are the biggest influencers". Oicanadian. July 6, 2020. Retrieved July 8, 2020.
- "Black Pink vừa ra MV, chị em đã thi nhau làm tóc giống Jisoo, nhuộm tóc như Jennie, ai cũng xinh chất phát hờn". kenh14. June 27, 2020. Retrieved July 20, 2020.
- "점만 잘 찍어도!". Marie Claire Korea (in Korean). September 15, 2020. Retrieved September 15, 2020.
- "Blackpink's Makeup Artist Shares Stories Behind the Beloved Looks in the "How You Like That" Music Video". Allure. July 20, 2020. Retrieved September 15, 2020.
- "Nike ist die weltweit sichtbarste Twitter-Marke". W&V. July 16, 2020. Retrieved July 20, 2020.
- "Blackpink's Jisoo and Lisa, Meghan Markle, Priyanka Chopra and Beyoncé all love Self-Portrait – 6 things to know about the Malaysian designer Han Chong". South China Morning Post. September 20, 2020. Retrieved September 20, 2020.
- "[브랜드평판] 걸그룹 개인 브랜드 2020년 9월 빅데이터 분석결과... 1위 블랙핑크 지수, 2위 오마이걸 유아, 3위 블랙핑크 제니". Future Korea (in Korean). September 20, 2020. Retrieved September 20, 2020.
- "세종대왕과 방탄소년단(BTS)". Beyond Post (in Korean). September 22, 2020. Retrieved September 22, 2020.
- "Dior grows rapidly to threaten Chanel, Hermes here". The Korea Times. August 28, 2020. Retrieved August 28, 2020.
- "The Mega-Influencer Is Here to Stay". Women's Wear Daily. September 4, 2020. Retrieved September 6, 2020.
- "Liza Soberano Channeled BLACKPINK Jisoo For This Look—We're Obsessed!". METRO style. September 8, 2020. Retrieved September 8, 2020.
- "블랙핑크 지수X로제, 메이크업 브랜드 모델 발탁..트렌디 매력UP". Herald Pop (in Korean). September 27, 2018. Retrieved July 14, 2019.
- "'블랙핑크' 지수, 디올 뷰티 로컬 앰버서더로 발탁". Star Daily News (in Korean). December 18, 2019. Retrieved January 31, 2020.
- "디올의 뮤즈 지수, 청량한 여름을 닮은". Elle Korea (in Korean). July 3, 2020. Retrieved July 20, 2020.
- "Check Out Jisoo From BLACKPINK Clad In All Dior—We're Obsessed!". METRO style. August 25, 2020. Retrieved August 25, 2020.
- "블랙핑크 지수, 단아+강인한 매력..눈부신 미모[화보]". Herald Pop (in Korean). September 9, 2020. Retrieved September 9, 2020.
- "세계를 매료시킨 '지수다움'의 정의, <데이즈드>와 지수의 첫 만남을 통해 그 깊고도 새로운 서막이 시작됐다". Dazed Korea (in Korean). September 9, 2020. Retrieved September 9, 2020.
- "블랙핑크 지수, 어떤 각도에서 바라봐도 완벽한 미모" The Chosun Ilbo. September 11, 2020.
- "YG 김지수, 걸그룹 데뷔 전 '프로듀사' 출연 '눈도장'" Naver News. May 24, 2015.
- "‘아스달 연대기’ 측 “블랙핑크 지수 출연, 역할 방송통해 확인 부탁”(공식입장)" Naver News. June 10, 2019.
- "[공식] 정해인X블랙핑크 지수, JTBC '설강화' 캐스팅 확정…내년 방송 예정". Sports Chosun. October 5, 2020.
- "블랙핑크 지수, '인가' MC 신고식 "발전하겠다"". E Daily (in Korean). February 5, 2017.
- "Meet K-pop's newest girl band Black Pink" Philippine Daily Inquirer. August 9, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kim Ji-soo.|