Jitendra Nath Mohanty
Jitendra Nath Mohanty (also J. N. Mohanty) is an emeritus professor of philosophy at Temple University. Born in Cuttack, in Orissa, India, Professor Mohanty had a distinguished career where he stood first in all public examinations and in B.A. and M.A. examinations at the University of Calcutta. Subsequently, he did a Ph.D. from University of Göttingen in 1954. In his long academic career, he had taught at the University of Burdwan, University of Calcutta, New School for Social Research, University of Oklahoma, and Temple University and has held visiting professorships at many renowned universities.
Professor Mohanty's area of expertise includes both western (particularly German) philosophy and eastern philosophy (particularly Indian philosophy). He has written over twenty scholarly books and numerous articles on different areas of philosophy including epistemology, logic, and phenomenology. He has written extensively on Immanuel Kant, founded Husserl Studies, and is currently writing a major book on Edmund Husserl’s thought.
Professor Mohanty has been a past-president of the Indian Philosophical Congress, the Society for Asian and Comparative philosophy. His other honours include a gold medal from the Asiatic Society, Kolkata, and the Humboldt Prize from the German government in honor of his scholarly work. In 2013, University of Calcutta conferred upon him an honorary D.Litt. degree.
- Lectures on Kant's Critique of Pure Reason by J. N. Mohanty (edited by Tara Chatterjea, Sandhya Basu, and Amita Chatterjee) (Munshiram Manoharlal Publishers Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2014)
- Essays on Consciousness and Interpretation by J. N. Mohanty (edited with an Introduction by Tara Chatterjea) (Oxford University Press, 2009)
- The Philosophy of Edmund Husserl: A Historical Development (Yale Studies in Hermeneutics) (Yale University Press)
- Between Two Worlds: East and West, an Autobiography (Oxford University Press, 2002)
- Classical Indian Philosophy (Oxford University Press, 2002)
- Explorations in Western Philosophy: Essays by J.N. Mohanty Volumes 1 and 2 by J. N. Mohanty and (edited by Bina Gupta) (Oxford University Press, 2001)
- The Self and its Other (Oxford University Press, 2000).
- Logic, Truth, and the Modalities (Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999).
- Husserl and Frege (Studies in Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy) (Indiana University Press, 1982).
- Edmund Husserl's Theory of Meaning (Springer, 1976).
- The Concept of Intentionality (Warren H. Green, 1971).
- "Jitendra Mohanty, Department of Philosophy, College of Liberal Arts, Temple University". Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "Recipients of Hony. Degrees". University of Calcutta, Annual Convocation. 28 November 2014. Retrieved 20 January 2015.