|Motto||Sanskrit: Vidhya Praapyate Tejha|
Motto in English
|Education brings Aplomb and Glory|
|Chancellor||Governor of Madhya Pradesh|
Jiwaji University (JU) is a public affiliating university in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh, India. The name comes from George Jivajirao Scindia of Gwalior. The university was established on 23 May 1964 and Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, the President of India, laid the foundation stone of the campus on 11 December 1964. It is fully accredited by the Government of India.
The university offers affiliation to institutions of higher learning in seven districts of Gwalior and Chambal division: Gwalior, Morena, Bhind, Guna, Ashoknagar, Shivpuri , Datia and Sheopur Kalan. It started with 29 affiliated colleges and now more than 300 colleges are affiliated to it.
The university started its post-graduate teaching and research from the session 1966–67 with the establishment of Schools of Studies (SOS) in Botany and Zoology. The Schools of Studies in Physics, Chemistry and Ancient History, Culture and Archaeology were started from the session 1969–70. The School of Studies in Economics and Mathematics came into existence in 1978–79.
The School of Studies in Commerce started in 1980–81 and that of Biochemistry from the session 1986-87. The School of Studies in Computer Science, Engineering & Applications started from the session 1995–96 and running MCA and BCA courses. Established in 2000, the Institute of Engineering Jiwaji University is Jiwaji and Rajeev Gandhi Technical University affiliated college of Engineering.
- S. S. Bhandarkar
- R. G. Rajwade
- G. N. Tandon
- Har Swarup
- K. K. Tiwari
- K. K, Singh
- P. S. Bisen
- R. R. Das
- V. P. Saxena
- Satya Prakash
- Mayank Bakna
- Priya Singh Parihar
- D. C. Tiwari
- Hoshiyar Singh
- O. P. Agarwal
- A. K. Kapoor
- Shashi Prabha
- M. Kidwai
- J. N. Gautam
- Sangeeta Sukla
Faculties and schools
- School of Studies in Engineering and Technology, Institute of Engineering
- Faculty of Arts
- School of Studies in Library and Information Science
- Faculty of Commerce and Management
- School of Studies in Commerce
- School of Studies in Management
- School of Studies in Tourism Administration
- Faculty of Life Science
- Indira Gandhi Academy of Environment Education Research and Ecoplanning
- School of Studies in Biochemistry
- School of Studies in Biotechnology
- School of Studies in Microbiology
- School of Studies in Biomedical Technology
- School of Studies in Botany
- School of Studies in Zoology
- School of Studies in Molecular and Human Genetics
- School of Studies in Neuroscience
- Institute of Ethnobiology
- Faculty of Science
- School of Studies in Earth science
- School of Studies in Computer Science & Application
- School of Studies in Chemistry
- School of studies in Environment Chemistry
- School of Studies in Marketing Management (MBACSM)
- School of Mathematics and Allied Science
- School of Studies in Physics
- School of Studies in Jyotrivigyan
- School of Studies in Law
- School of Studies in Pharmaceutical Science
- Faculty of Social Science
- School of Studies in Ancient Indian History Culture and Archeology
- School of Studies in Economics
- School of Studies in Political Science
- School of Studies in Life Long Education Extension and Social Work
- Faculty of Physical Education
- School of Studies in Physical Education & Sports Science
- Tansen Institute of Performing Arts
- Faculty of Distance Education
- Institute of Distance Education
The most special department is SOS in Neuroscience which conducts India's only Department of Biotechnology-sponsored neuroscience teaching program at the university level. It was started by the Department of Biotechnology, New Delhi and has many projects in collaboration with CSIR, ICMR, DBT, DST, DRDO and UGC labs and R&D. There are 10 seats per year and the meritorious students are provided with Rs, 3000 monthly DBT studentship.
JU started an MBA course under the School of Studies in Commerce from the session 1987. School of Studies in Library and Information Science was established in 1986 and School of Studies in Earth Science in 1991. The university established a centre of foreign language in 1986, which offers diploma and certificate courses in English, French, German and Russian. The Indira Gandhi Academy of Environment Education, on interdisciplinary programmes of environment and Ecoplanning was established in 1989. A centre for M. Phil Studies in Sociology and Political Science was established in 1990. The Institute of Engineering, the technical education centre of university, started in 2000. Most of the students of the institute are working in MNCs like L&T Infotech, IBM, Patni, Accenture, Microsoft, and Google.
The schools are around the central administrative block, leading to close relation between the university and the associated schools.
- Umesh Varshney, Molecular biologist and Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar laureate
- Manmohan Parida, virologist, N-Bios laureate
- "School of Studies in Neuroscience, Jiwaji University, Gwalior". neuroscienceju.com. Retrieved 24 May 2015.
- "Indian fellow - Varshney". Indian National Science Academy. 2016. Retrieved 11 October 2016.
- "Speaker profile" (PDF). BioAsia. 30 January 2018. Retrieved 30 January 2018.