Lee on the red carpet of the 2013 CineKink Awards
|Born||October 30, 1980|
Jiz Lee (born October 30, 1980) is an American genderqueer pornographic performer, whom Steve Javors of AVN Magazine has called "one of the major stars of the 'queer porn' set." Lee identifies as genderqueer, preferring the use of epicene or gender neutral pronouns such as they, them, and theirs |:(. Lee is an advocate for the ethical production and consumption of pornography. In particular, Lee advocates for the labor rights and sexual autonomy of adult entertainment performers on-set.
Adult film career
Lee's first pornographic film was The Crash Pad for Pink and White Productions in 2005. She initially only did scenes with lovers in her films, and self-describes as a "self-agent"; only working with directors met beforehand first. Jiz Lee continued to work with Pink and White Productions on Shine Louise Houston's feature 'SNAPSHOT'.
In addition to her adult screen credits, Jiz Lee has appeared in numerous other queer and trans projects, including African American director, Cheryl Dunye's queer romantic comedy of errors, Mommy is Coming in which Lee appears with an international cast including the Black Boricua porn star Papi Coxxx.
Lee is known as an advocate of sex workers' rights, and self-describes as a "pleasure activist". They run the philanthropic porn experiment "Karma Pervs", which seeks to raise funds for sex workers' causes. Jiz Lee is also significant figure in the genre of queer pornography. Lee is also significant as a visible genderqueer person in porn. Finally, they are considered a significant contributor to feminist pornography and women's pornography. However, Lee herself does not use the term "feminist porn", and has stated that the term implies that porn cannot be inherently feminist.
Lee's growing popularity may be attributed in part to the growing quantity of production of feminist pornography and queer pornography. These genres of porn have grown significantly in marketing and consumption in the 21st century.
Lee not only contributes to activism as an adult performer, but also as a writer. She is the editor of "Coming Out Like a Porn Star", a book that compiles the stories of adult performers. The book was inspired by Lee's own struggles with "coming out" to her family about working in the adult entertainment industry. One review defined the book as ""a lesson in social behavior and prejudice" directed at adult performers. Porn scholar Lynn Comella describes the book as "a testament to the power of storytelling and the importance of sex workers telling their stories in their own words." She has also released academic writing on feminism and porn.
Lee has been interviewed in multiple articles on feminist issues and queer and trans issues, especially queer pornography. Lee has spoken at academic institutions, such as Stanford and UC Berkeley, on queer sexuality and her experiences in porn. In numerous contexts, Lee has specifically addressed the use of gender neutral pronouns in her public statements.
Awards and nominations
|2010||AVN||Best New Web Starlet||N/A||Nominated|
|FPA||The Boundary Breaker||N/A||Won|
|2012||AVN||Best All-Girl Group Sex Scene||Taxi 2 (shared with Madison Young and Nic Switch)||Nominated|
|Best Girl/Girl Sex Scene||Cherry 2 (shared with Andy San Dimas)||Nominated|
|2014||XBIZ||Best Scene - Non-Feature Release||Girl/Boy (shared with Manuel Ferrara)||Nominated|
|2015||AVN||Best Girl/Girl Sex Scene||Tombois 2 (shared with Sovereign Syre)||Nominated|
- Jiz Lee at the Internet Adult Film Database
- AVN – April 2011: Girl Powered. Retrieved December 22, 2011 Archived April 24, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- "Jiz Lee - The Clayman Institute for Gender Research". stanford.edu. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- "What is genderqueer?". Jiz Lee. Retrieved June 11, 2017.
- W, Sam (November 30, 2017). "An Interview With Jiz Lee". Scarleteen. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- Peep Show – Interview with Jiz Lee, Part One. Retrieved December 22, 2011.
- Peep Show – Interview with Jiz Lee, Part Two. Retrieved December 22, 2011.
- DeClue, Jennifer. "Let's Play: Exploring Cinematic Black Lesbian Fantasy, Pleasure, and Pain." In No Tea, No Shade: New Writings in Black Queer Studies, edited by E. Patrick Johnson. Duke University Press, 2016.
- "Transparent Goes to a Feminist Music Festival in a Season Highlight," January 11, 2016. http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/transparent-goes-feminist-music-festival-season-hi-230538.
- "Gaby Hoffmann Nude Bush and Topless, Jiz Lee Nude Carrie Brownstein Lesbian – Transparent (2015) S02 HD 1080p." ZORG'S CELEBRITY VIDEO EDITS. Accessed May 7, 2017. http://www.zorg.video/gaby-hoffmann-nude-bush-and-topless-jiz-lee-nude-carrie-brownstein-lesbian-transparent-2015-s02-hd-1080p/.
- Moon, Allison (2013). Girl Sex 101. The Feminist Press at CUNY, 2013. p. 146. ISBN 9781558618183.
- Seise, Cheria (2010). "Fucking Utopia: Queer Porn and Queer Liberation". Journal of Sexual Diversity Studies: 19–29.
- Trouble, Courtney (2014). "Finding Gender through Porn Performance". Porn Studies. 1.1-2: 197–200.
- Matebeni, Zethu (2012). "Queer(ing) porn - A conversation". Agenda: 61–69.
- Moon, Allison; Diamond, Kate (2016). Girl Sex 101. United States: Lunatic Ink.
- Luu, Sofia. "Feminist Porn Awards Asks the Existential Question: Is There Feminist Porn?". Vice Magazine. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- Tibbals, Chauntelle Anne. "Gonzo, Trannys, and Teens – Current Trends in US Adult Content Production, Distribution, and Consumption". Porn Studies (1.1–2): 127–135.
- Mondin, Alessandra (2014). "Fair-trade Porn Niche Markets Feminist Audience". Porn Studies. 1.1-2: 189–192.
- "Tackling stigma with gender queer pornstar Jiz Lee". Huck Magazine. 2016-10-06. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- Steel, Sloane. "Whatever Name I Choose: A Review of 'Coming Out Like a Porn Star.'" 3hattergrindhouse, November 14, 2015. https://3hattergrindhouse.com/2015/11/14/whatever-name-i-choose-a-review-of-coming-out-like-a-porn-star/.
- Comella, Lynn. "Coming out like a Porn Star: Essays on Pornography, Protection, and Privacy." Porn Studies 3, no. 2 (April 2, 2016): 195–97. doi:10.1080/23268743.2016.1184483.
- Lee, Jiz. Uncategorized: Genderqueer Identity and Performance in Independent and Mainstream Porn. New York: Feminist at CUNY. pp. 273–278. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- Dowling, Dar. "Shine Louise Houston & Jiz Lee: Crowdfunding Queer Porn Their Way..." Huffington Post. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Lgbtq – Cbrachyrhynchos." Accessed May 7, 2017. https://cbrachyrhynchos.wordpress.com/tag/lgbtq/.
- Jiz Lee » Bio. Retrieved December 22, 2011.
- Remembrance (sic): The works of twincest « Execute:[permanent dead link]. Retrieved December 22, 2011.
- "AVN - 2012 AVN Awards Show - Past Nominees". AVN. AVN Media Network. Archived from the original on March 4, 2010. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "FPA 2010 - Good For Her - Sex Workshops". Feminist Porn Awards. Good for Her. Archived from the original on September 3, 2011. Retrieved December 20, 2011.
- "Nominations for the 2012 AVN Awards" (PDF). AVN. AVN Media Network. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 31, 2012. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "XBIZ Awards - Nominees". XBIZ. Archived from the original on December 25, 2012. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "AVN - 2015 AVN Awards Show". AVN. AVN Media Network. Archived from the original on November 25, 2014. Retrieved December 27, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jiz Lee.|