Jiz Lee is an American pornographic performer, considered a major star of queer porn. Lee is an advocate for the ethical production and consumption of pornography and for the labor rights and sexual autonomy of adult entertainment performers.
Adult film career
Lee's first pornographic film was The Crash Pad for Pink and White Productions, released in 2005. Lee initially only did film scenes with lovers, and self-describes as a "self-agent", only working with directors met beforehand first. Jiz Lee continued to work with Pink and White Productions on Shine Louise Houston's feature 'SNAPSHOT'.
In addition to their adult screen credits, Jiz Lee has appeared in numerous other queer and trans projects, including African American director Cheryl Dunye's queer romantic comedy of errors Mommy is Coming, in which Lee appears with an international cast that included the Black Boricua porn performer Papi Coxxx.
Lee is known as an advocate of sex workers' rights, and self-describes as a "pleasure activist". They run the philanthropic porn experiment "Karma Pervs", which seeks to raise funds for sex workers' causes. Jiz Lee is also a significant figure in the genre of queer pornography, and is considered to be a visible genderqueer person in porn. Finally, they are considered a significant contributor to feminist pornography and women's pornography. However, Lee does not use the term "feminist porn", and has stated that the term implies that porn cannot be inherently feminist.
Lee's growing popularity may be attributed in part to the growing quantity of production of feminist pornography and queer pornography. These genres of porn have grown significantly in marketing and consumption in the 21st century.
Lee is a writer, as well as the editor of Coming Out Like a Porn Star, which compiles the stories of adult performers. The book was inspired by Lee's own struggles with "coming out" to their family about working in the adult entertainment industry. One review defined the book as ""a lesson in social behavior and prejudice" directed at adult performers. Porn scholar Lynn Comella described the book as "a testament to the power of storytelling and the importance of sex workers telling their stories in their own words." Lee has written on feminism and porn.
Lee has been interviewed in multiple articles on feminist, queer, and trans issues, especially on queer pornography. Lee has spoken at academic institutions, such as Stanford and UC Berkeley, on queer sexuality and their experiences in porn. In numerous contexts, Lee, in their public statements, has specifically addressed the importance of using gender-neutral pronouns.
Awards and nominations
|2010||AVN||Best New Web Starlet||N/A||Nominated|
|FPA||The Boundary Breaker||N/A||Won|
|2012||AVN||Best All-Girl Group Sex Scene||Taxi 2 (shared with Madison Young and Nic Switch)||Nominated|
|Best Girl/Girl Sex Scene||Cherry 2 (shared with Andy San Dimas)||Nominated|
|2014||XBIZ||Best Scene - Non-Feature Release||Girl/Boy (shared with Manuel Ferrara)||Nominated|
|2015||AVN||Best Girl/Girl Sex Scene||Tombois 2 (shared with Sovereign Syre)||Nominated|
- They came to see the [queer] porn star talk. In: Porn Studies. Vol. 2, No. 2–3, Taylor & Francis, London 2015, ISSN 2326-8743, pp. 272–274.
- Jiz Lee und Rebecca Sullivan: Porn and labour: the labour of porn studies. In: Jiz Lee und Rebecca Sullivan (Hrsg.): Porn Studies, Vol. 3, No. 2, Taylor & Francis, London 27. Juli 2016, ISSN 2326-8743, pp. 104–106. Issue online
- Uncategorized: Genderqueer Identity and Performance in Independent and Mainstream Porn. In: Tristan Taormino (Hrsg.): The Feminist Porn Book: The Politics of Producing Pleasure. The Feminist Press at CUNY, New York 2013, ISBN 978-1558618183, pp. 273–278.
- as Co-Editor: Coming Out Like a Porn Star: Essays on Pornography, Protection, and Privacy. ThreeL Media, Los Angeles 2015, ISBN 978-0990557166.
- as a model: Dave Naz: Genderqueer: And Other Gender Identities. Rare Bird Books, Los Angeles 2014, ISBN 978-1940207261.
- AVN – April 2011: Girl Powered. Retrieved December 22, 2011 Archived April 24, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- "Jiz Lee - The Clayman Institute for Gender Research". stanford.edu. Archived from the original on 24 July 2015. Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- W, Sam (November 30, 2017). "An Interview With Jiz Lee". Scarleteen. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Queer star Jiz Lee is breaking every porn stereotype to make the industry better". 2018-02-03.
- Peep Show – Interview with Jiz Lee, Part One. Retrieved December 22, 2011.
- Peep Show – Interview with Jiz Lee, Part Two. Retrieved December 22, 2011.
- DeClue, Jennifer. "Let's Play: Exploring Cinematic Black Lesbian Fantasy, Pleasure, and Pain." In Johnson, Patrick E., ed. (2016). No Tea, No Shade: New Writings in Black Queer Studies. Duke University Press.
- Dry, Jude (2017-06-30). "How Silas Howard Became the Best Trans Director Working Today". indiewire.com. Retrieved 2020-01-25.
- AVN, Robert Neuwave. "The Residents & Jiz Lee Premiere 'God In 3 Persons' -Reviewed! AVN". AVN.
- Moon, Allison (2013). Girl Sex 101. The Feminist Press at CUNY, 2013. p. 146. ISBN 9781558618183.
- Seise, Cheria (2010). "Fucking Utopia: Queer Porn and Queer Liberation". Journal of Sexual Diversity Studies: 19–29.
- Trouble, Courtney (2014). "Finding Gender through Porn Performance". Porn Studies. 1.1-2 (1–2): 197–200. doi:10.1080/23268743.2014.888254.
- Matebeni, Zethu (2012). "Queer(ing) porn - A conversation". Agenda. 26 (3): 61–69. doi:10.1080/10130950.2012.716662. S2CID 143142940.
- Moon, Allison; Diamond, Kate (2016). Girl Sex 101. United States: Lunatic Ink.
- Luu, Sofia (2015-04-27). "Feminist Porn Awards Asks the Existential Question: Is There Feminist Porn?". Vice Magazine. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- Tibbals, Chauntelle Anne. "Gonzo, Trannys, and Teens – Current Trends in US Adult Content Production, Distribution, and Consumption". Porn Studies (1.1–2): 127–135.
- Mondin, Alessandra (2014). "Fair-trade Porn Niche Markets Feminist Audience". Porn Studies. 1.1-2 (1–2): 189–192. doi:10.1080/23268743.2014.888251.
- "Tackling stigma with gender queer pornstar Jiz Lee". Huck Magazine (in American English). 2016-10-06. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- Steel, Sloane. "Whatever Name I Choose: A Review of 'Coming Out Like a Porn Star.'" 3hattergrindhouse, November 14, 2015. .
- Comella, Lynn. "Coming out like a Porn Star: Essays on Pornography, Protection, and Privacy." Porn Studies 3, no. 2 (April 2, 2016): 195–97. doi:10.1080/23268743.2016.1184483.
- Lee, Jiz (2013-02-19). Uncategorized: Genderqueer Identity and Performance in Independent and Mainstream Porn. New York: Feminist at CUNY. pp. 273–278. ISBN 9781558618183. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- Dowling, Dar (2015-06-18). "Shine Louise Houston & Jiz Lee: Crowdfunding Queer Porn Their Way..." Huffington Post. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Lgbtq – Cbrachyrhynchos." Accessed May 7, 2017. https://cbrachyrhynchos.wordpress.com/tag/lgbtq/.
- Jiz Lee » Bio. Retrieved December 22, 2011.
- "What is genderqueer?". Jiz Lee. Retrieved June 11, 2017.
- Remembrance (sic): The works of twincest « Execute:[permanent dead link]. Retrieved December 22, 2011.
- "AVN - 2012 AVN Awards Show - Past Nominees". AVN. AVN Media Network. Archived from the original on March 4, 2010. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "FPA 2010 - Good For Her - Sex Workshops". Feminist Porn Awards. Good for Her. Archived from the original on September 3, 2011. Retrieved December 20, 2011.
- "Nominations for the 2012 AVN Awards" (PDF). AVN. AVN Media Network. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 31, 2012. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "XBIZ Awards - Nominees". XBIZ. Archived from the original on December 25, 2012. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- "AVN - 2015 AVN Awards Show". AVN. AVN Media Network. Archived from the original on November 25, 2014. Retrieved December 27, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jiz Lee.|