JJ (Swedish band)
|Origin||Vallentuna, Stockholm county, Sweden|
|Genres||Indie pop, dream pop, Balearic beat, hip hop|
JJ, styled as jj, is a band who releases music through the Gothenburg-based independent label Sincerely Yours, which was founded by the Swedish pop group The Tough Alliance. The band consists of Joakim Benon and Elin Kastlander.
jj released their debut taken"jj n° 1" in early 2009 and a couple of months later they released their debut album jj n° 2. Both the debut single and the debut album received a Best New Music inclusion from Pitchfork Media with ratings of 8 and 8.6 respectively.
On December 24, 2009 it was announced that the American record label Secretly Canadian had signed jj to their roster. At the same time, the release date for jj's second full length album was slated. The album, named jj n° 3, was released in the United States and Sweden on March 9, 2010. jj works with both Sincerely Yours and Secretly Canadian, depending on the location, and hence didn't leave Sincerely Yours for Secretly Canadian.
Aside from their official releases, jj has also done several covers and new takes on contemporary songs. For example, they've recorded covers of Akon's "Troublemaker", Jeremih's "Birthday Sex" and the "Theme Song" for the Welcome Back, Kotter TV-series. All of these were released for free on the internet, making it similar to a mixtape.
From March to April 2010, jj was on a nationwide tour in the United States with the British band The xx. Following the US tour, jj went on a minor tour through Europe with dates in Italy, France and Belgium among others.
In late March 2011, jj collaborated with fellow Swedish artist Yves Saint Lorentz to make an official remix of Rebecca & Fiona's single "Bullets". The remix was named "The End of the World".
In summer 2011, jj collaborated with the American R&B singer Ne-Yo and released the song "We Can't Stop" as part of the Adult Swim Singles Program 2011. Later in 2011, they were involved in another collaboration with American rapper Don Trip to make the song "Cheers (jj’s Save Our Souls Remix)" for the magazine The Fader.
On August 12, 2015 jj released the EP "Death" consisting of five new songs.
- Kills (2010)
Singles and EPs
- Pitchfork The Playlist: jj "my life, my swag" Archived 2009-04-16 at the Wayback Machine.
- jj n° 2 (Sincerely Yours 2009) Archived 2009-07-24 at the Wayback Machine.
- jj let them
- FACT magazine: Music and art
- Pitchfork: Album Review: jj n° 2
- Exclaim News: JJ Sign with Secretly Canadian, Ready New LP for Spring Release
- Sincerely Yours Archived 2009-04-02 at the Wayback Machine.
- Pitchfork: xx to Tour With jj
- jj Tours Europe This May News : Secretly Canadian
- jj Back with Mixtape and Fourth LP Archived 2010-10-22 at the Wayback Machine.
- Gorilla vs. Bear - jj releases Kills
- jj Kills (Sincerely Yours 2010) Archived 2012-03-25 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-09-07. Retrieved 2011-12-26.
- jj My Life - Battlefield 3 Trailer Archived 2012-03-25 at the Wayback Machine.