João W. Nery
João W. Nery
|Born||12 February 1950|
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Died||26 October 2018 (aged 68)|
João W. Nery (12 February 1950 – 26 October 2018), was a Brazilian writer, psychologist, and LGBT activist. He is known to be the first transgender man to have undergone sex-change surgery in Brazil; it took place in 1977.
João became an LGBT rights activist, especially of the trans population. A bill by congressman Jean Wyllys and congresswoman Erika Kokay bears his name. Based on the Argentine Identity and Gender Law, the project guarantees the right to recognize the gender identity of all transgender people in Brazil, without the need for judicial authorization, medical or psychological reports, surgery or hormone treatment.
In August 2017, Nery was discovered to have a lung cancer. Smoking since he was 15 years old, he underwent chemotherapy. In September 2018, Nery revealed on social networks that cancer had hit the brain; he died in Niteroi, on 26 October 2018, at 68.
Body of work
- Erro de pessoa: Joana ou João?, Rio de Janeiro, Editora Record, 1984.
- Viagem solitária: memórias de um transexual 30 anos depois, São Paulo, Leya Brasil, 2012.
- Vidas trans: a coragem de existir (in co-opeartion with Amara Moira, Márcia Rocha e T. Brant), Bauru, Leya Brasil, 2017.
- Velhice transviada, Postumo, 2018.
- Jesus, Dánie Marcelo de; Carbonieri, Divanize; Nigro, Claudia M.C. (2017). Estudos sobre gênero: identidades, discurso e educação – homenagem a João W. Nery. [S.l.]: Pontes. 252 pp. ISBN 9788571138162.
- Gonçalves Jr., Sara W. P. (2017) Invisíveis. In:Estudos sobre gênero: identidades, discurso e educação – homenagem a João W. Nery. Editora Pontes. 2017 ISBN 9788571138162.
- Marieta Cazarré (13 November 2015). "Primeiro transhomem a ser operado, João Nery batiza projeto que trata de gênero" (in Portuguese). agenciabrasil.ebc.com.br. Retrieved 28 July 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Projeto de Lei João Nery" (in Portuguese). camara.leg.br. Retrieved 28 July 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Pedro HMC (27 October 2018). "Morre João Nery, ícone do movimento dos homens trans no Brasil" (in Portuguese). poenaroda.com.br. Retrieved 28 July 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Pioneiro na luta trans no Brasil, João W. Nery morre aos 68 anos" (in Portuguese). guiagaysaopaulo.com.br. 26 October 2018. Retrieved 28 July 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "João Nery, primeiro homen trans a ser operado no Brasil, prepara novo livro" (in Portuguese). justificando.com. 18 September 2018. Retrieved 28 July 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)