This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|Created by||Berge Garabedian|
|Alexa rank||9,759 (April 2014[update])|
JoBlo.com was started in 1998 by Berge Garabedian (aka JoBlo), a movie reviewer who was known for critiquing movies from the perspective of an average movie-goer. The website's name, in fact, is a play on the term Joe Shmoe, and registered users of the website are known as 'schmoes'. In addition to JoBlo's own reviews, the site also features, but is not limited to: movie trailers, film scripts, previews of upcoming movies, screensavers, desktop wallpaper, interviews with celebrities, and a message board, in which registered users can "strike back" with comments and critiques. Other features include “The Digital Dorm”, which features thousands of DVD reviews, DVD release dates and latest digital news items. The site also includes a sub-site called "Arrow in the Head", which is run by The Arrow a.k.a. John Fallon, and focuses on horror movies including daily news updates, reviews, and commentary.
The web site has received notice. It was referenced in Entertainment Weekly as one of their "25 favorite online entertainment sites" and Garabedian is quoted in publications such as USA Today. By the 2000s, Joblo.com was quoted on movie posters, DVD/Blu-ray covers and in commercials.
In 2001, the site started holding an annual award's presentation for films that were most enjoyed by its visitors. These became known as "The Golden Schmoes". Often the winners of these awards were films that had large fan-bases, but limited critical praise.
In February 2009, JoBlo.com started a weekly podcast called The Good, The Bad, and The JoBlo Movie Podcast. Guests have included Bobcat Goldthwait, Duncan Jones, and Clifton Collins, Jr. and listeners win DVDs/Blu-rays every other week.
In 2009, JoBlo.com started a social networking site for movie fans called Movie Fan Central. Currently there are around 54,000 registered schmoes. Users are able to post blogs, reviews, pictures, videos,top ten lists, and their DVD/Blu-ray collection.
In January 2014, John "The Arrow" Fallon traveled to Louisiana to shoot his first feature length horror film, The Shelter, which he describes as leaning more towards "supernatural horror". Shooting wrapped on January 19, 2014.
- "Joblo.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Kohn, Eric (2006-06-16). "Bookmark This Page! | News". EW.com. Retrieved 2010-03-11.
- "Web abuzz with apes, a mummy and Spidey". Usatoday.Com. 2001-03-07. Retrieved 2010-03-11.
- "The 2009 JoBlo.com Movie Awards aka The Golden Schmoes!". GoldenSchmoes.com. Retrieved 2010-03-11.
- Garabedian, Berge (2002). JoBlo.com Presents... The 50 Coolest Movies of All Time. Quiet Storm Books. ISBN 978-0-9714296-6-6. Retrieved 10 March 2010.
- "John Fallon talks atmospheric crowdfunder, "THE SHELTER" | FANGORIA®". Fangoria.com. Retrieved 2016-12-02.
- Walkuski, Eric (2014-01-24). "John Fallon's directorial debut The Shelter, starring Michael Pare wraps production! - Horror Movie News | Arrow in the Head". Joblo.com. Retrieved 2016-12-02.