|Full name||Jo Tessem|
|Date of birth||28 February 1972|
|Place of birth||Ørland, Norway|
|Height||1.9 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|Totton & Eling|
|2004||→ Lyn (loan)||12||(2)|
|2004||→ Millwall (loan)||12||(1)|
|2010–||Totton & Eling||97||(8)|
|2008–2009||Totton & Eling|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 22:32, 3 July 2013 (UTC).
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 03:35, 22 February 2009 (UTC)
Tessem is known for his versatility as a player, being able to play anywhere on the pitch. He plays mostly as an attacking midfielder or as a forward.
Tessem hails from Brekstad in Sør-Trøndelag, and his original club was Ørland BK. He played for this club in the lower divisions, but concentrated more on his professional career. He served in the Norwegian Armed Forces for a period, and worked at Værnes Air Station. He trained with local team Stjørdals-Blink at the time, but did not sign any contract. When enrolling at the Norwegian Police University College in Oslo in 1994, he needed to stay in shape and began training with Lyn, who were playing in the 1st Division at the time. He quickly showed off his talent, and was offered a professional contract. In the 1996-season, Tessem scored 15 goals in 22 matches, helping Lyn earn promotion to the highest division.
He was signed by Dave Jones for Southampton for £600,000 in 1999, and made his debut on 20 November 1999 at home to Tottenham Hotspur playing an unfamiliar role as right-back in place of the injured Jason Dodd. Although he was a midfielder he was extremely versatile and was often played as a striker in partnership with James Beattie.
He was a regular player up to the 2002–03 season and played in the FA Cup Final against Arsenal on 17 May 2003, coming on as a late substitute for Anders Svensson. His final tally for the Saints was 130 matches and 16 goals.
Back to Norway
Tessem returned to Lyn on loan for the first half of the 2004 season in Norway. He was then loaned out to Millwall where he scored once against Cardiff, before signing a three-year contract with Lyn at the start of the 2005 season. During the 2007 season, Jo Tessem announced that he was moving back to England after the season, because his wife was English, and they had decided to live there. He played 208 matches for Lyn from his debut in 1994 until he ended his Lyn Oslo relationship after the 2007 season.
On 8 January 2008, Tessem joined Bournemouth on a short term deal. He had trained with the squad for over a month before signing. Kevin Bond, the manager, said: "Jo has bags of experience. He's been playing the last two seasons in Norway, so he's been getting regular football and is still very fit. He doesn't miss anything on the ball and he uses it very well. His last season didn't end until November, so he's in good shape and ready to go. Hopefully, it'll prove an ideal move for us, as well as him."
Bournemouth were relegated to League Two after five successive seasons of League One football. Tessem had been playing under month-to-month contracts since joining the team, but Bournemouth could not offer a new contract by the end of the season due to their uncertain financial future.
In June 2009 Tessem were on trial at the Swedish club Örgryte IS in Allsvenskan. Due to an injury he did not sign a contract with the club. Only six days after he discontinued the negotiations with Örgryte Tessem went to England for a trial with Southampton in League One.
Totton & Eling
Totton & Eling
Jo Tessem has nine caps for his national side, earning his first cap on his 29th birthday in February 2001.
- Norwegian Cup finalist 1994, 2004
- 1st Team – Players & Coaches – Jo Tessem – Totton & Eling Football Club. Pitchero.com (29 April 2013).
- Ulseth, Otto (24 October 2000). "Ingen Dæhlie, absolutt ingen mygg". Adresseavisen (in Norwegian). p. 34.
- "Lyn et godt skritt nærmere cupfinale" (in Norwegian). Norwegian News Agency. 4 September 1994.
Tessem kom til Lyn i fjor fra spill i lavere divisjoner med Ørland.
- (Norwegian) Profile at lynfotball.net Archived 7 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- Jo Tessem at Soccerbase
- "Millwall 2–2 Cardiff". BBC. 23 October 2004. Retrieved 27 October 2009.
- "Tessem agrees Cherries contract". BBC Sport. 9 January 2008. Retrieved 9 January 2008.
- "Tessem Signed Up". www.afcb.premiumtv.co.uk. 8 January 2008. Retrieved 9 January 2008.
- "Tessems trenersukses". Nettavisen. 4 September 2008. (in Norwegian)
- Ex-Saint Tessem lines up for Eastleigh Archived 22 April 2016 at the Wayback Machine.. Eastleigh News (5 February 2010).
- [dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 10 August 2014. Retrieved 4 March 2013.