Joachim Ernst, Duke of Anhalt
|Duke of Anhalt|
Joachim Ernst in 1918
|Duke of Anhalt|
|Reign||13 September 1918 – 12 November 1918|
|Born||11 January 1901|
|Died||18 February 1947 (aged 46)|
NKVD special camp Nr. 2 in Buchenwald
|Spouse||Elisabeth Strickrodt, Countess of Askanien|
Edda-Charlotte von Stephani-Marwitz
|House||House of Ascania|
|Father||Eduard, Duke of Anhalt|
|Mother||Princess Louise Charlotte of Saxe-Altenburg|
Joachim Ernst, Duke of Anhalt (11 January 1901 – 18 February 1947) was the last ruler of the Duchy of Anhalt.
He succeeded his father as Duke of Anhalt on 13 September 1918. However, due to his age, his uncle Prince Aribert of Anhalt was appointed regent. His brief reign came to an end on 12 November 1918, with his uncle abdicating in his name following the German revolution. The duchy became the Free State of Anhalt.
Marriages and children
In Ballenstedt Castle on 3 March 1927, Joachim Ernst married firstly Elisabeth Strickrodt (Plauen, 3 September 1903 – Berlin-Zehlendorf, 5 January 1971), a daughter of an opera singer. She was created Countess of Askanien, but they were divorced in 1929.
In Ballenstedt Castle on 15 October 1929, Joachim Ernst married secondly Edda-Charlotte von Stephani-Marwitz (Düsseldorf, 20 August 1905 – Garmisch-Partenkirchen, 22 February 1986), who was adopted as an adult by Bertha von Stephani, reputedly for a payment of 10,000 marks, in order to improve her social standing. They had five children:
- Marie Antoinette Elisabeth Alexandra Irmgard Edda Charlotte (14 July 1930 – 22 March 1993), married firstly 1957 (div. 1968) Karl-Heinz Guttmann and secondly 1974 (div. 1976) Max Riederer.
- Anna Luise Marie Friederike Elisabeth Alice (26 March 1933 – 1 November 2003), married 1966 (div. 1970) Thomas Birch.
- Leopold Friedrich Franz Sieghard Hubertus Erdmann (11 April 1938 – 9 October 1963).
- Edda Adelheid Antoinette Emma Elisabeth (born 30 January 1940), married 1974 Albert Darboven.
- Eduard Julius Ernst August Erdmann (born 3 December 1941)
- Montgomery-Massingberd, Hugh (ed.) (1977). Burke's Royal Families of the World, 1st edition. London: Burke's Peerage. pp. 195–196. ISBN 0-85011-023-8.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels: Furstliche Hauser Band III. C. A. Starke Verlag. 1955. p. 3.
- ANHALT in: Paul Theroff's Online Gotha [retrieved 15 July 2016].
- "Adel: Eheskandale im Hause Anhalt". Mitteldeutsche Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 2016-05-10.
- House of Anhalt-Askanien (in German)
Joachim Ernst, Duke of AnhaltBorn: 11 January 1901 Died: 18 February 1947
| Duke of Anhalt
13 September – 12 November 1918
| Grand Master of the Order of Albert the Bear
13 September 1918 – 18 February 1947
|Titles in pretence|
|Loss of title
||— TITULAR —
Duke of Anhalt
12 November 1918 - 18 February 1947
|This article related to German royalty (1871–1919) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|