A U.S. Navy poster featuring Pease
|Years of service||1862-1865|
|Battles/wars||American Civil War
*Sinking of CSS Alabama
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Although Joachim Pease has been referred to as a native of Long Island, New York, recently unearthed records in the National Archives show that when he enlisted in the United States Navy as an Ordinary Seaman on January 12, 1862 for a three-year hitch, he listed his birthplace as Fogo Island, Newfoundland, Canada. He was described as twenty years old, five feet, six and a half inches tall, with black hair and eyes and a "negro" complexion.
Joachim Pease enlisted in the Navy from New Bedford, Massachusetts, not New York City, as commonly reported, and served onboard USS Kearsarge during the Civil War. On June 19, 1864, off the coast of Cherbourg, France, Kearsarge battled the Confederate sloop-of-war CSS Alabama. For his conduct during this engagement, Pease was awarded the Medal of Honor. He left the Navy at the end of his enlistment never having been awarded his Medal of Honor. It is on display in the National Museum of the United States Navy, located in the Washington Navy Yard, Washington, D.C.
Medal of Honor citation
Rank and Organization:
- Seaman, U.S. Navy. Born: Long Island, N.Y. Accredited To: New York. G.O. No.: 45, December 31, 1864.
Served as seaman on board the U.S.S. Kearsarge when she destroyed the Alabama off Cherbourg, France, 19 June 1864. Acting as loader on the No. 2 gun during this bitter engagement, Pease exhibited marked coolness and good conduct and was highly recommended by the divisional officer for gallantry under fire.
- List of American Civil War Medal of Honor recipients: M–P
- List of African American Medal of Honor recipients
- "Enlistments in New Bedford, Mass. in 1861/Return of the United States Naval Rendezvous, New Bedford, Mass., for the week ending January 18th, 1862" ,v. 18, p. 40; Records Group M1953, "Weekly Returns of Enlistments at Naval Rendezvous (Enlistment Rendezvous)", National Archives, Washington, D.C., as found online at https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XLBF-BMJ Retrieved 25 January 2012
- "PEASE, JOACHIM, Civil War Medal of Honor recipient". American Civil War website. 2007-11-08. Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Naval History & Heritage Command.
- "US People - Pease, Joachim, Seaman, USN". Online Library. Naval History & Heritage Command. 2006-04-24. Retrieved 2007-01-02.
- "Civil War Medal of Honor recipients (M-Z)". Medal of Honor citations. United States Army Center of Military History. August 3, 2009. Archived from the original on February 23, 2009. Retrieved July 1, 2010.
Records of the Curator Branch, Naval History and Heritage Command Museum, Washington D.C.
|This biographical article related to the United States Navy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a person of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|