Joachim Rønning (born 30 May 1972) is a Norwegian film director who previously worked in a team with Espen Sandberg. Both are natives of Sandefjord, Norway. As a directing team, they went under the name of Roenberg (a portmanteau of their surnames). They co-own one of Scandinavia's largest production companies for commercials called Motion Blur. Rønning now develops and directs film and television as a solo director.
In 2006, Rønning and Espen Sandberg directed their feature film debut, Bandidas, starring Penélope Cruz and Salma Hayek. The film was released worldwide through EuropaCorp and Twentieth Century Fox. The film was written and produced by French filmmaker Luc Besson.
His 2012 film Kon-Tiki is the first Norwegian film to be nominated for a Golden Globe, and a Best Foreign Language Oscar at the 85th Academy Awards. The duo directed the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean film, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (2017).
In October 2017, it was announced Rønning would direct Maleficent: Mistress of Evil from a screenplay written by Linda Woolverton and Jez Butterworth, with Angelina Jolie reprising the role as the titular character.
In 2017, it was announced that Paramount had bought an original project entitled Origin that will be directed by Rønning and was written by Rønning and his brother, Andrew Rønning. The film will be produced by Jerry Bruckheimer.
Co-directed with Espen Sandberg
|1997||Dag 1||Short film|
|2008||Max Manus: Man of War||Nominated- Amanda Award for Best Direction|
|2012||Kon-Tiki||Palm Springs International Film Festival for Directors to watch|
Nominated- Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
Nominated- Amanda Award for Best Direction
Nominated- Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film
Nominated- Satellite Award for Best Foreign Language Film
|Seile sin egen sjø||Documentary|
|2014||Marco Polo||TV Series;|
Episodes "The Wayfarer" and "The Wolf and the Deer"
|2017||Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales|
|2019||Maleficent: Mistress of Evil||Post-production|
- Jr, Mike Fleming (4 January 2017). "'Pirates' Pair Joachim Rønning & Jerry Bruckheimer Reunite On Paramount Sci-Fi Pitch 'Origin'". deadline.com. Retrieved 3 June 2017.
- "Oscars: Hollywood announces 85th Academy Award nominations". BBC News. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (29 May 2013). "'Kon-Tiki' Helmers Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg Land 'Pirates Of The Caribbean 5'". deadline.com. Retrieved 3 June 2017.
- "Joachim Rønning". IMDb. Retrieved 3 June 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (October 3, 2017). "Angelina Jolie's 'Maleficent 2' Taps 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Director Joachim Ronning". Variety. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- Lodderhose, Diana (28 October 2016). "Joachim Rønning Attached To Direct David Heyman's 'Methuselah' With Tom Cruise". deadline.com. Retrieved 3 June 2017.
- Jr, Mike Fleming (6 April 2017). "'Pirates' Helmer Joachim Rønning To Direct 'Micro', Last Michael Crichton Novel". deadline.com. Retrieved 3 June 2017.
- "Espen Sandberg". IMDb. Retrieved 3 June 2017.
- "#Maleficent2, starring Angelina Jolie, Elle Fanning, and Michelle Pfeiffer, is now in production". Twitter. Disney. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
|This article about a Norwegian film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|