Joachim von zur Gathen
|Joachim von zur Gathen|
|Institutions||University of Toronto
University of Bonn
|Alma mater||ETH Zürich|
|Doctoral advisor||Volker Strassen|
|Known for||Modern Computer Algebra (book), Computational Complexity (journal)|
Joachim von zur Gathen (born 1950) is a German mathematician and computer scientist. His research spans several areas in mathematics and computer science, including computational complexity, cryptography, finite fields, and computer algebra.
Joachim von zur Gathen has a Diploma in Mathematik from ETH Zürich, and graduated as Dr. phil. from Universität Zürich in 1980 under the supervision of Volker Strassen. The title of his Ph.D. thesis is "Sekantenräume von Kurven". In 1981 he accepted a position in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Toronto, eventually becoming a Full Professor. In 1994, he moved to the Department of Mathematics at Universität Paderborn. Since 2004, he has been a professor at the B-IT and the Department of Computer Science at the Universität Bonn. He is the founding editor-in-chief of the Birkhäuser (now Springer) journal Computational Complexity.
- von zur Gathen, Joachim; Gerhard, Jürgen (April 2013). Modern Computer Algebra (Third ed.). Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9781107039032. Translated into Japanese. Chinese edition.
- Joachim von zur Gathen at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Computational Complexity official web page, retrieved 2014-01-03.
- Jo60: A Modern Computer Algebraist, Celebrating the Research and Influence of Joachim von zur Gathen at 60, B-IT, May 27–29, 2010, retrieved 2014-01-03.
- Giesbrecht, Mark; Panario, Daniel (2012), "In honour of the research and influence of Joachim von zur Gathen at 60", Journal of Symbolic Computation, 47 (4): 355–357, doi:10.1016/j.jsc.2011.09.001, MR 2890876.