Nätterqvist was born in Gamla Uppsala. He is the son of competitive equestrians Ted and Pia Levin Nätterqvist and grew up on Flammabyggets equestrian farm outside Laholm. Nätterqvis learned to ride at age of four and competed in show jumping as a child and teenager. He is the grandson of Swedish show jumping rider and trainer Dag Nätterqvist.
As a youth, he was more drawn to the world of sports, rather than drama, not only competing in equestrian sports, but playing ice hockey and football as well. After attending several smaller drama institutes, he graduated from the Stockholm Academy of Dramatic Arts in Stockholm in 2001. He quickly landed a three-year stint with Stockholm City Theatre, where he appeared in, among others, Hamlet and A View from the Bridge. He also had the chance to work with Lars Norén, considered by many to be Sweden's most prominent contemporary playwright, at The National Theatre Company in his play Terminal.
He landed his first leading TV role in the 2002 mini-series Stackars Tom.
Arn: Knight Templar
Nätterqvist has since then moved on to television and film. He had his big breakthrough in 2007 when he starred in the movie Arn – The Knight Templar, its sequel and the six-part television series. Nätterqvist played the leading role of crusading knight Arn Magnusson. Once the stunt team realized how well Nätterqvist could ride, he ended up performing his own horse stunts. He also benefitted from previous classes in olympic fencing for several past theatre productions, and his general interest in fencing (he was a special guest and speaker at the 2012 Swedish Competitive Fencing Convention).
This is the most expensive movie project in the history of Swedish film and was shot in English and Swedish, on location in Sweden, Scotland and Morocco with an international cast. The production was headed by Svensk Filmindustri in conjunction with Film i Väst, TV4 (Sweden), Telepool (Germany), Danmarks Radio (Denmark), YLE (Finland) and TV 2 (Norway).
The Arn project has been shown on television in many areas of the world. When it was shown in France on France 4, it went up against Showtime's historical drama The Tudors, on NRJ12 in the same time slot, and rated with a higher numbers of viewers.
He has continued work with television, theatre and film. In 2011, he co-starred in the controversial Swedish film With Every Heartbeat/Kiss Me and award-winning music video director Adam Berg's film In. Americans saw him in the 2011 season finale of USA Network's series Covert Affairs.
Since the fall of 2011 he has been playing fashion designer and love interest Hugo Cronstedt in TV3's popular romantic comedy-drama Elsas Värld. The show came back for a second series in 2013 and consisted of 20 episodes, lasting into the spring of 2014. 
In December 2016 the Russian medieval epic Viking premiered. He had spent most of the previous summer shooting on location in Russia. Nätterqvist has a large supporting role as a Viking chieftain and mercenary. The film has taken around $25 million at the box office in Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States , becoming the top-grossing Russian film to be released in 2016. It was released in western Europe on Amazon Prime and Sky Digital
During the fall of 2018, Nätterqvist has been busy shooting the TV-pilot for Skärvor, an outlaw motorcycle club drama-thriller, from producers Susanne Hörnquist & Magnus G Bergström. He is playing the part of Stefan Andreason, president of Rubicon MC
In April 2019 he was working alongside Victor von Schirach and Regina Lund on "Dizdarevic Film's" pilot episode of Vad hände egentligen på...? (Whatever happened at...) an anthology series that will retell documented "supernatural" events and strange murders from Stockholms past.
In 2019 he joined 4:the season of popular crime drama Gåsmamman portraying the foster dad Patrik Thorin. The new season will premier on streaming service C More in November, and on TV4 (Sweden) the following year.
He lives in Gamla stan, the medieval section of Stockholm. He has a son with actress Cecilia Häll named Zeth, Zeth recently provided the voice for one of the animated characters in the Swedish release of The Good Dinosaur.
Voted sexiest man in Sweden 2007 by Plaza Magazine.
He is one of the founders of Actors Studio Stockholm, a two-year drama academy.
In August 2013, rapper turned celebrity fitness trainer David "D-Flex" Seisay, published his book ‘'Träna med D-flex'’. Nätterqvist contributed to the book, and is featured in text and photos displaying Seisay's fitness instructions.
He has a Britpop/Indie pop band named Narcissistic Street. They released the CD Soldier in Me in 2008. The album was recorded before he made his big breakthrough as the medieval knight and had to postpone the album release due to massive Arn project. In December 2011 the band performed at the European premiere of David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
Nätterqvist sings on two songs on post-punk revivalists The Ohios album Every Sorrow Claims Happiness. One of the tracks, "Let My Legs Walk" is featured in the soundtrack to horror-comedy American Burger.
On 21 December 2017, Nätterqvist released the Christmas-themed single "Jule ljus" on iTunes and Spotify. A second song "En sequined sen" dropped in late April 2018, and more material will be released throughout 2018, with another tune dropped in late April. The new material will steer away from the Britpop/Indie pop sound of Narcissistic Street, and move into the Swedish singer-songwriter/pop rock tradition.
Nätterqvist has also worked with unscripted television. In 2010 he almost won the Swedish version of Let's Dance for Comic Relief with his interpretation of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance. In spring 2011 he co-hosted the popular TV cooking show Klockan åtta hos stjärnorna. He has also participated in other shows such as Herr och Fru, Doobidoo and Fenomen med Uri Geller.
He is the co-founder of Actors Studio Stockholm, a 2-year academic program, that incorporates and the Meisner and Chekhov techniques with Swedish stage traditions. Nätterqvist has also taught drama at several other schools in Sweden, after-school drama coaching for teens, weekend workshops, and with unemployed actors via the Public Employment Service.
|2001||Tsatsiki: Friends Forever||Niclas|
|2002||We Can Be Heroes!||Coach|
|2007||Arn – The Knight Templar||Arn Magnusson||Nominated: European Film Awards Audience Award|
|2008||Arn – The Kingdom at Road's End||Arn Magnusson||Guldbagge Award: Audience Award|
|2011||In||Håkan||Best Short Film at 2011 Gothenburg Film Festival|
|2011||Kiss Me (With Every Heartbeat )||Tim Bratthall||2012 Guldbagge Award from Swedish Film Institute.|
|2014||Inte som på film (Not Like the Movies)||Tommy||Young adult crime family drama|
|2016||Viking||Khevding||Russian historic drama|
|2018||Maria Wern||DCI Torwalds|
|2019||Det sista som dör||Julia's father||By Jacob Wahlqvist and Peter Johansson|
|2019||Gåsmamman||Patrik Thorin||Dir. Richard Holm and Joakim Eliasson ( Bigster)|
|2020||Plocka tänder med trasiga fingrar||The Admiral||Independent Victorian era fantasy/horror thriller|
|1998||Beck||Young Jon Anders||Beck – Öga för öga|
|1998||Waiting for the Tenor/Veranda för en tenor||The Production Assistant|
|2002||Spung||Ana-Maria's boyfriend||4 episodes, Season I|
|2003||Talismanen||The Thief||Produced & co-written by Henning Mankell|
|2004||Linné och hans apostlar||Daniel Solander|
|2008||Filmen om Arn||Arn Magnusson||Television program|
|2009||Life in Fagervik Village||Rasmus Svensk||Joined cast with series 2, 11 episodes|
|2010||Arn: The Series||Arn Magnusson||6 episodes|
|2011||Covert Affairs||Little Magnus||2011 Season Finale, USA Network|
|2011||Nils Holgerssons wunderbare Reise||Tore Berggren||Mini-series, German TV broadcaster ARD|
|2011–2012||Elsas Värld||Hugo Cronsted||Season 1|
|2012||Hellenius Hörna||The Shining Knight||Special Guest Star|
|2013||Tänk om ryktet är sant||Erik||90-minute single drama|
|2013–2014||Elsas Värld 2||Hugo Cronsted|
|2014||Star Wars Rebels||Kanan Jarrus||Swedish voice (Season 1)|
|2016||Maria Wern||DCI Torwalds||Season 5|
|2016–2017||Star Wars Rebels||Kanan Jarrus||Swedish voice (Season 2)|
|2018||Maria Wern||Torwalds||Season 6|
|2018||Skärvor||Stefan Andersson||Pilot based on LiseLotte Divelli's novel.|
|2019||Gåsmamman||Patrik Thorin||Season 4 on TV 4|
|2020||Vad hände egentligen på...?||Mr. Bartender||Supernatural historical anthology series|
|2020||The Sandman Murders||Season 7|
Selected Stage Appearances
- A Doll's House, Stockholm Academy of Dramatic Arts
- Inatt tänder vi månen, Stockholm Academy of Dramatic Arts
- Amadeus, Stockholm City Theatre
- The Cherry Orchard, Stockholm City Theatre
- Järn (musical) Stockholm City Theatre
- Din Stund på Jorden, Stockholm City Theatre
- Hamlet, Stockholm City Theatre
- Dostoyevsky’s The Idiot, Stockholm City Theatre
- Mio, My Son,, Stockholm City Theatre
- The Full Monty (musical), Stockholm City Theatre
- 'As You Like It, Stockholm City Theatre
- A View from the Bridge, Stockholm City Theatre
- Piaf, Stockholm City Theatre
- Amy's View, Stockholm City Theatre
- Som Glöd under Snö (musical) Gottsunda Teater
- Terminal The National Theatre Company
- North of The Border (musical) Teater De Vill
- The Taming of the Shrew, Sheakespear at Gräsgården Manor
- Ken Ludwig's Leading Ladies, Mariebergsskogen Karlstad
- Nu är det klippt! Dröse & Norberg Theatre Company
- Snow White: The Musical Dröse & Norberg Theatre Company
- I Ljus & Mörker (musical) Jon Anderzon/Studieförbundet Vuxenskolan Gävleborg.
- Elden (2014 musical) Leif Stinnerbom / Bergstaden Sylvan Theater
- Eplene i messehagen (2016 musical) Paul Ottar Haga / Malm Sylvan Theater
- Elden (2017 musical) Paul Ottar Haga / Bergstaden Sylvan Theater
- Eplene i messehagen (2018 musical) Malm Sylvan Theater
- People of Hemsö (Hemsöborna) (2019 stage play) Stallebrottet på Bohus Malmön Sylvan theater
- Robin Hood: The Musical (Fall 2019-Spring 2020) Dröse & Norberg Theatre Company
- Eplene i messehagen ( 2020 Director and actor ) written by Rasmus Rohde Bergstaden Sylvan Theater
Selected Podcast Appearances
- Richards and Mckie Present Randompedia
- Joakim Nätterqvist. moviezine.se
- Joakim Nätterqvist Archived 1 March 2016 at the Wayback Machine. vame.se (27 January 2015)
- "Terminal | Riksteatern". Riksteatern.se. Archived from the original on 2 March 2016. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Joakim Nätterqvist blev Arn". Kulturväst.se. Archived from the original on 23 October 2007. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Arn: The Series". SF International. Archived from the original on 18 April 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Från brynja till britpop för Joakim Nätterqvist – Kultur & Nöjen – Sydsvenskan – Nyheter dygnet runt". Sydsvenskan.se. 22 December 2007. Archived from the original on 6 September 2009. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Joakim Nätterqvist om karriären". TV4.se. 25 December 2011. Archived from the original on 18 April 2013. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "Arn – The Knight Templar Series". SF International. 9 September 2011. Archived from the original on 18 April 2013. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Arn, le chevalier du temple". France 4. 5 September 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "Audiences TNT: Le premier épisode des Simpson dépasse le million sur W9". jeanmarcmorandini.com. 9 September 2011. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Snarker, Dorothy (23 May 2011). "Swedish lesbian film "Kiss Me" looks lovely, complicated, lovely some more". AfterEllen.com. Archived from the original on 19 January 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Stora novellfilmspriset till IN och sex nya novellprojekt presenterade". Sfi.se. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Covert Affairs – Episode Guide: Letter Never Sent". USA Network. 6 December 2011. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Breaking News – Sofis snapshots. Bloggar.aftonbladet.se. Retrieved on 22 February 2016.
- Шведская звезда российского блокбастера о викингах снимет свой фильм. Rg.ru (21 June 2012). Retrieved on 22 February 2016.
- Eva Röse: "Hon går igenom ett helvete" | Nöje. Expressen.se (3 October 2015). Retrieved on 22 February 2016.
- "Trivs i gränslösa gränder". Dagens Nyheter. 2 February 2012. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- Hygglig men tunn Pixar | Film – Recensioner | Film | Nöjesbladet | Aftonbladet. Aftonbladet.se (8 January 2016). Retrieved on 22 February 2016.
- "Han vill gärna vara ond" (PDF). Mitt i Kungsholmen. 16 January 2012. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- Joakim Nätterqvist. IMDb
- Bilder från ”för varenda unge”-dagen på Östermalmstorg – UNICEF Sveriges blogg. Blog.unicef.se (22 April 2013). Retrieved on 22 February 2016.
- Joakim Nätterqvist. actorsstudiostockholm.com
- Seisay, D – Träna med D-flex – 13046723 – Norstedts. Norstedts.se (19 March 2014). Retrieved on 22 February 2016.
- "Arn" blir indie". Svenska Dagbladet. 11 June 2008. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Narcissistic Street – Soldier in Me". Sydsvenska Dagbladets AB. 17 June 2008. Archived from the original on 18 April 2013. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Galapremiär: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – 13 December". Finest.se. 13 December 2011. Archived from the original on 9 March 2014. Retrieved 7 August 2012.
- "Joakim Nätterqvist panelens val i Dansfeber: Inte väntat". TV4. 17 June 2010. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Kändisar ska tävla – i köket". TV4. 25 January 2011. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Nätterqvist & Meja". NME. 21 May 2010. Retrieved 22 August 2012.
- "Han staller upp for Gammla stan". Direkt Press. 26 May 2012. Archived from the original on 10 February 2015. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- Kanal 5 | Dplay. Kanal5play.se. Retrieved on 22 February 2016.
- "Arn-Vi har vunnit svenska folket". Expressen. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "Kiss Me blu-ray". blu-ray.com. Retrieved 26 January 2012.
- "vARNning för farliga Olin". Aftonbladet. 7 October 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- Elizabeth Wagmeister (14 June 2016). "HBO-stjerne får hovedrolle i trøndersk musikal". Adresseavisen. Retrieved 15 June 2016.