|Occupation||Inventor, Author, Pilates Innovator|
|Known for||Founder PhysicalMind Institute|
Joan Breibart is a New York-based inventor, author and Pilates innovator and founder of The Institute for the Pilates Method in 1991, now known as PhysicalMind Institute; an organisation formed to market the Pilates Method.
Breibart is a graduate of Barnard College, Columbia University. As an editor for the American Management Association from 1964-1968 she wrote courses on Budgeting, Physical Distribution Management, Marketing and Business Communications.
Joan Breibart, Founder of the PhysicalMind Institute, started the Pilates boom in 1991 when she organized The Institute for the Pilates Method in Santa Fe, New Mexico, which introduced the first Pilates certification program; the first Pilates Matwork video, “Working out the Pilates Way”; the first Pilates encyclopedia, Reformer Exercises; the invention of the patented Mini Reformer, a collapsible home use machine and numerous other innovations including a new Chair now marketed as the "Mve".
In 1993, Breibart filed a Cancellation Action on the fraudulent Pilates TM in the U.S. Trademark Office. This began the 7 year battle which led to the mark’s cancellation on October 19, 2000; a landmark decision by Judge Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum of the Southern District Court of New York. Ever since then, Pilates' growth has been exponential.
Breibart has 53 years of business experience and has worked in staff and line executive positions in large public corporations and in start-ups. She has decades of experience in consumer services and products, particularly beauty, diet and exercise marketing. She wrote business and strategic plans at ITT World HQ during the 70s, when ITT was the model for business planning.
Breibart holds four Patents on the Mini-Reformer; the Pilates Chair and Head Floater; TYE4 and two pending on Parasetter, plus numerous trademarks and copyrights. She has co-authored, edited or conceived of twenty books including PHYSICAL DISTRIBUTION MANAGEMENT (AMA 1967); INTRODUCTORY MARKETING (MACMILLAN 1971); DIETDIRECTIVES (PMI 2000); ANATOMY OF PILATES,THE BODY BIZ: The Pilates Story and most recently, STANDING PILATES, published by John Wiley & Sons 2005. She is also co-creator of 80Bites.com formerly Diet Directives—the ONLY LOW quantity weight loss program which was featured in Self Magazine in April 1987.
- Devin, Rose (21 November 2004). "Less is less: Diet plan feeds on counting bites". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Annie, Lowrey. "The Pilatespocalypse: How the Method That Started the Boutique-Fitness Trend Is Going Bust". New York Magazine. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Kathleen, Doheny (18 December 1996). "Power With Pilates". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "Forget calories, just keep bites down to lose weight". Economic Times. 28 December 2004. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "About Joan Breibart". pilatesanytime.com. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "Just in Time for New Year's,"Tye4″ is the Secret Tool for Creating a Lean Toned Body". greenatom.earth. 4 December 2010. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "The Tye4". fitmarkbags.com. 29 September 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Beth, Begelman. "Interview with Joan Breibart". pilatesdigest.com. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Lauren, Charlip. "PhysicalMind Institute Restructures, Preps for New Direction". pilates-pro.com. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "The Pilates Method And a Trademark Feud". New York Times. 23 January 1994. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "New fitness mantra: Count bites, not calories". Indian Express. 28 December 2004. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Bob, Hannum. "A Little Change for 'The 100' With Big Results". pilatesintel.com. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "The Body Biz: The Pilates Story by Joan Breibart". amazon.com. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "Standing Pilates: Strengthen and Tone Your Body Wherever You Are". amazon.com. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Lynda, Lippin (26 August 2007). "Old School Dieting–Eat Less to Lose More". blogcritics.org. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "The Bites Challenge". 80bites.com. 26 January 2015. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "5 Bite Diet For Fat Loss Obesity Overweight Solution". newslikethis.com. 5 October 2010. Retrieved 5 August 2016.