|Born||1965 (age 50–51)
Achel, Limburg, Belgium
|Alma mater||Katholieke Universiteit Leuven|
|Thesis||Cipher and Hash Function Design. Strategies based on linear and differential cryptanalysis (1995)|
|Doctoral advisor||Joos Vandewalle
|Known for||Rijndael, Keccak|
Joan Daemen (Dutch pronunciation: [joːˈɑn ˈdaːmə(n)]; born 1965) is a Belgian cryptographer who co-designed the Rijndael cipher with Vincent Rijmen, which was selected as the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) in 2001. More recently, he co-designed the Keccak cryptographic hash, which was selected as the new SHA-3 hash by NIST in October 2012.  He has also designed or co-designed the MMB, Square, SHARK, NOEKEON, 3-Way, and BaseKing block ciphers.
In 1988, Daemen graduated in electro-mechanical engineering at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven. He subsequently joined the COSIC research group, and has worked on the design and cryptanalysis of block ciphers, stream ciphers and cryptographic hash functions. Daemen completed his PhD in 1995, at which point he worked for a year at Janssen Pharmaceutica in Beerse, Belgium. He subsequently worked at the BACOB bank, Banksys, Proton World and then STMicroelectronics.
- "Announcing the ADVANCED ENCRYPTION STANDARD (AES)" (PDF). NIST Federal Information Processing Standards Publication 197. United States National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). November 26, 2001. Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- Chad Boutin (2012-10-02). "NIST Selects Winner of Secure Hash Algorithm (SHA-3) Competition". NIST Tech Beat. United States National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). Retrieved 2012-12-16.
- Joan Daemen at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Biography: Joan Daemen, Proton World International at the Wayback Machine (archived June 4, 2009)
- Joan Daemen's publications indexed by the DBLP Bibliography Server at the University of Trier
|This article about a Belgian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a European mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|