Joan E. Strassmann
Joan E. Strassmann is a North American evolutionary biologist and the Charles Rebstock Professor of Biology at the Washington University in St. Louis. She is known for her work on social evolution and particularly how cooperation prospers in the face of evolutionary conflicts.
Her dissertation research explored theories of social behavior and evolution using individually marked social wasps in wild colonies. In 2011, Strassmann joined the Biology Department of Washington University in St. Louis. after retiring from Rice University where she worked for the previous 31 years. Strassman earned a bachelors in zoology from the University of Michigan and a Ph.D. in zoology from the University of Texas.
She is a member of the National Academy of Sciences (2013). She has received a John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Fellowship (2004), was elected a Fellow of the Animal Behavior Society (2002), the American Association for the Advancement of Science (2004), and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences (2008), and served as president of the Animal Behavior Society (2012).
- Fellow, Animal Behavior Society, 2002
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2004
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2008
- Member, National Academy of Sciences, 2013
- "Joan Strassmann:". Department of Biology. Washington University in St. Louis, Department of Biology. Retrieved February 26, 2012.
- Strassmann, Joan (1979). "Kin selection and the population biology of the social paper wasp Polistes exclamans.". Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Texas at Austin.
- "Trustees grant faculty promotions, tenure" (Press release). Washington University in St. Louis. April 5, 2011. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- "National Academy of Sciences Members and Foreign Associates Elected" (Press release). National Academy of Sciences. April 30, 2013. Archived from the original on May 27, 2013. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation". 2004. Retrieved December 21, 2014.
- "EurekAlert!". Rice biologists elected AAAS Fellows. October 28, 2004. Retrieved December 21, 2014.
- "Animal Behavior Society Officers". Animal Behavior Society. 2012. Archived from the original on May 22, 2012.
- "Joan E. Strassman". Queller/Strassman Research Group at the Washington University in St Louis. Retrieved December 21, 2014.