Joan London (Australian author)
|Born||Joan Elizabeth London
24 July 1948
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
|Notable works||Gilgamesh, The Good Parents|
|Notable awards||Christina Stead Prize for Fiction, Age Book of the Year Fiction Award, Patrick White Award|
Joan Elizabeth London (born 24 July 1948, Perth, Western Australia) is an Australian author of short stories, screenplays and novels.
She graduated from the University of Western Australia having studied English and French, has taught English as a second language and is a bookseller. She lives in Fremantle, Western Australia, with her husband Geoffrey.
London is the author of two collections of stories. The first, Sister Ships, won The Age Book of the Year (1986), and the second, Letter to Constantine, won the Steele Rudd Award and the West Australian Premier's Award for Fiction (both in 1994). The two were published together as The New Dark Age. She has published three novels, Gilgamesh, The Good Parents and The Golden Age.
- Sister Ships (1986)
- Letter to Constantine (1993)
- New Dark Age (2004)
Awards and nominations
- 2015: Patrick White Award
- 2015: Nita Kibble Literary Award for The Golden Age
- 2015: Miles Franklin Award shortlisted for The Golden Age
- 2009: New South Wales Premier's Literary Awards Christina Stead Prize for Fiction for The Good Parents
- 2003: Tasmania Pacific Rim Region Prize Shortlisted for Gilgamesh
- 2002: The Age Book of the Year Fiction Award for Gilgamesh
- 2002: Miles Franklin Award Shortlisted for Gilgamesh
- 2002: New South Wales Premier's Literary Awards Shortlisted for Gilgamesh
- 1994: Steele Rudd Award for Letter to Constantine
- 1994: Western Australian Premier's Book Awards for Letter to Constantine
- 1986: The Age Book of the Year Book of the Year and Fiction Award for Sister Ships
- 1986: Western Australia Week Literary Award for Sister Ships
- Wilde, Hooton and Andrews (1994) p. 475-6
- "The Sydney Writers' Festival 2008".
- 2015 Patrick White Literary Award announced
- "The Miles Franklin Literary Award 2015 Shortlist". The Trust Company. Retrieved 29 May 2015.
- Joan London at Random House Australia
- Middlemiss Page on Gilgamesh
- Review of The Golden Age, with portrait
- Wilde, W., Hooton, J. & Andrews, B (1994) The Oxford Companion of Australian Literature 2nd ed. South Melbourne, Oxford University Press
|This article about an Australian writer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|