Joan Martinez Alier
Joan Martinez Alier (born 1939, Barcelona, Spain) is a Spanish economist, Professor of Economics and Economic History and researcher at ICTA at the Autonomous University of Barcelona. He is the author of Ecological Economics: Energy, Environment and Society (1990). and The Environmentalism of the Poor: A Study of Ecological Conflicts and Valuation (2002).
Martinez Alier has been a researcher a St. Anthony's College Oxford (1966–73 and 1984–85), visiting professor at the State University of Campinas (Brasil) in 1974, the Free University of Berlin (1980-81), Stanford University and the University of California, Davis, (1988–89), Yale University (1999-2001), and FLACSO Sede-Ecuador (1994–95 and 2007).
He is also co-editor of Getting down to earth: practical applications of Ecological Economics (1996), Rethinking Environmental History. World-System History and Global Environmental Change (2007), Recent Developments in Ecological Economics (2008), and of the series Ecological Economics and Human Well-Being with Oxford U.P., Delhi.
Selected publications (in English)
- 1971: Labourers and Landowners in Southern Spain
- 1977: Haciendas, Plantations and Collective Farms (Cuba and Peru)
- 1990: Ecological economics: energy, environment and society
- 1994: The environment as a luxury good or "to poor to be green"?
- 1996: Getting down to earth: practical applications of ecological economics (with Robert Costanza and Olman Segura)
- 1997: Varieties of Environmentalism. Essays North and South (with Ramachandra Guha)
- 2002: The Environmentalism of the Poor: A study of ecological conflicts and valuation
- 2007: Rethinking Environmental History: World-Systems History and Global Environmental Change (with Alf Hornborg and John Mc Neill)
- 2008: Recent Developments in Ecological Economics 2 vols. (with Inge Ropke)
- 2012: Ecological Economics from the Ground Up (with Hali Healy et al.)
Interviews (in English)
- Interview with Lorenzo Pellegrini in Development & Change, 2012
- Ecological Economics, Video Interview at The Montreal Degrowth Conference 2012
- "Joan Martinez Alier". icta.uab.cat. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- Martinez Alier, Joan (1990). Ecological Economics: Energy, Environment and Society. Oxford, England: Basil Blackwell. ISBN 0-631-17146-0.
- Martinez Alier, Joan (2002). The Environmentalism of the Poor: A Study of Ecological Conflicts and Valuation. Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 1-84376-486-5.
- Martinez Alier, Joan. "Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). University Barcelona. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- "International workshop on ecosystem and natural capital accounting". eea.europa.eu. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- Alier, Joan M. and Naredo, Jose M., (1982) "A Marxist Precursor to Energy Economics: Podolinsky" Journal of Peasant Studies, 9: 207-224.