Alice Joan Metge|
21 February 1930
University of Auckland |
London School of Economics
She continues to advance peace initiatives via her work as a member of the Waitangi National Trust Board, a conference presenter, adviser, and as a mentor to mediators and conflict management practitioners. A scholar on Māori topics, she has been recognised for promoting cross-cultural awareness and has published a number of books and articles in her career. She has likened the relationship among the people of New Zealand to "a rope [of] many strands which when woven or working together create a strong nation" (as paraphrased by Silvia Cartwright).
Awards and honours
Metge was appointed a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 1987 Queen's Birthday Honours for services to anthropology. She was awarded the Royal Society of New Zealand's Te Rangi Hiroa Medal for her research in the social sciences in 1997. In 2001, the University of Auckland awarded Metge an honorary LittD degree.
In recognition of Metge's contribution to social sciences, the Royal Society of New Zealand established the Dame Joan Metge Medal in 2006, which is awarded every two years to a New Zealand social scientist for excellence in teaching, research and/or other activities contributing to capacity building and beneficial relationships between research participants.
- "NZ university graduates 1870–1961: Me–Mo". Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Dame Silvia Cartwright's address at a Garden Party at Government House, Wellington, to commemorate the 164th anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi". The Governor-General of New Zealand. 6 February 2004. Archived from the original on 12 October 2007. Retrieved 13 January 2008.
- London Gazette (supplement), No. 50950, 12 June 1987. Retrieved 17 January 2013.
- Te Rangi Hiroa Medal - Recipients. Royal Society of New Zealand. Retrieved 20 January 2013.
- University of Auckland Calendar 2003 (PDF). p. 633. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "2006 Asia-Pacific Mediation Forum Peace Prize". Scoop. 3 July 2006. Retrieved 13 January 2008.
- "Dame Joan Metge Medal". Royal Society of New Zealand. 2012. Retrieved 7 February 2015.