Joan Roca i Fontané
|Joan Roca i Fontané|
Joan Roca in the kitchen of El Celler de Can Roca
Joan Roca i Fontané (1964, Girona, Catalonia, Spain) is a chef of the restaurant El Celler de Can Roca. In 2013 & 2015, it was named the best restaurant in the world by the Restaurant Magazine. It was ranked second by the same magazine in 2011, 2012 & 2014.
He studied in Escola d'Hosteleria de Girona, where later he became a teacher. He worked with his grandparents and parents in their family business, a restaurant of traditional Catalan cuisine. Today Joan is the chef of his own restaurant, together with his two brothers. Josep (sommelier), and Jordi (pastry chef). He is elaborating traditional cuisine together with avant-garde techniques, which implies research of both modern techniques and traditional recipes. Some of the techniques he uses are Sous-vide, "Perfume-cooking" and Distillation.
- 2000. Cook of the year by the Spanish Academy of Gastronomy.
- 2002. Second Michelin Star for El Celler de Can Roca.
- 2009. Third Michelin Star for El Celler de Can Roca. and 5th position in the Restaurant Magazine
- 2010. Honorary degree by the University of Girona
- 2011. Appears in the list of the "20 most influential cooks of the world".
- 2011. Second best restaurant in the world for El Celler de Can Roca, by the Restaurant Magazine.
- 2012. Second best restaurant in the world for El Celler de Can Roca, by the Restaurant Magazine.
- 2013. Best restaurant in the world for El Celler de Can Roca, by the Restaurant Magazine.
- 2015. Best restaurant in the world for El Celler de Can Roca, by the Restaurant Magazine.
- 2016. Chefs’ Choice Award by Restaurant Magazine 
- El Celler de Can Roca, by Joan, Josep and Jordi Roca. In Catalan, Spanish and English.
- La cocina al vacío (Sous-Vide Cuisine), by Joan Roca and Salvador Brugués. Translated to English, French, German and Italian.
- Les receptes catalanes de tota la vida (Lifelong catalan recipes), by Joan Roca and his mother, Montserrat Fontané.
- La cuina de la meva mare (The cooking of my mother), by Joan Roca. In Catalan and Spanish.
- Deu menus per a un concert (Ten menus for a concert), by Joan Roca. In Catalan and Spanish.
- [dead link]
- Catalunya, El Periódico de. "El Periódico - Actualidad y noticias de última hora". Elperiodico.com. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- Girona, Universitat de. "Ferran Mir i Joan Roca seran investits doctors honoris causa". Udg.edu. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- Seis españoles, entre los 20 chefs más influyentes del mundo, Elmundo.es
- "El Celler de Can Roca, mejor restaurante del mundo". La Vanguardia. 2013-04-29. Retrieved 2013-04-30.
- "The Chefs' Choice Award 2017". Theworlds50best.com. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joan Roca.|