|Birth name||Juan Bienvenido Severino Soriano|
February 23, 1972 |
Monte Plata, Dominican Republic
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, performance artist|
Joan Soriano is a bachata singer and guitarist from the Dominican Republic. His style is a blend of modern with traditional bachata. Since the 1980s, Joan's guitar and arrangements have graced many hit bachatas by other artists, and since 2008, he has begun to make a name for himself internationally.
Soriano was born the seventh of fifteen children. "Born in the rural countryside near Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, Joan Soriano fashioned his first guitar from a tin can and fishing line and has never looked back." Soriano's guitar playing has the clean, feathery sound typical of bachata music. After Soriano mastered the style, he went into Santo Domingo and started working as a session musician.
"El Duque de la Bachata, and La Familia Soriano were recorded live in Santo Domingo and NYC studios by iASO producer Benjamin de Menil. The album El Duque de la Bachata won the best World Beat Album of 2011 at the Indie Acoustic Project awards.
- Me decidi (2015)
- La Familia Soriano (2012)
- El Duque de la Bachata (2010)
- Rough Guide to Bachata (2006)
- Afro Bachata (2005)
- Vocales de amor (1998)
- Joan Soriano aka El Duque en Pampers (1995)
- The Duke of Bachata (2009)
- Santo Domingo Blues (2005)
- "Joan Soriano: The Duke Of Bachata". NPR Music. 12 October 2010. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- "Joan Soriano". iasorecords.com. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Joan Soriano: The Duke Of Bachata". NPR.org. 12 October 2010. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Joan Soriano". The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. Retrieved 9 February 2015.
- "Legends of Bachata Documentary Feature". bachatamovie.com. Retrieved 9 February 2015.