July 14, 1927
Manhattan, New York, U.S.
|Died||November 2, 2017 (aged 90)|
Manhattan, New York, U.S.
|Education||B.A. University of Michigan|
|Net worth||US$4 billion (Nov 2017)|
|Spouse(s)||Preston Robert Tisch|
Joan Tisch (née Hyman; July 14, 1927 – November 2, 2017) was an American philanthropist. She was a graduate of the University of Michigan and billionaire heir to the Tisch family fortune (through the Loews Corporation, which remains under family control).
Tisch was born to Howard N. Hyman and his wife, Marie Ziegler. Her father was a Manhattan dentist who helped disabled war veterans attend theater and sporting events. He persuaded Jack Mara, then president of the New York Giants, to donate 400 seats for each home game to disabled fans and their companions, according to a news release from Loews upon his death in 1981. Her mother was born in Germany. In 1948, she received a bachelor's degree in English from the University of Michigan and married Preston Robert "Bob" Tisch (1926–2005) the same year. They had three children:
- Steve Tisch is a businessman who lives in Beverly Hills, California. He is the only Tisch child to leave the New York area and serves as the family’s point man in their shared ownership of the New York Giants.
- Jonathan Tisch is the public face of the hotel division of Loews Corporation. In 1988, he married Laura Steinberg, the daughter of financier and insurance executive Saul Steinberg, at the Central Synagogue in Manhattan. They later divorced. Jonathan is also an active Democratic Party fund-raiser.
- Laurie Tisch sits on the board of the Whitney Museum of American Art and the Children's Museum of Manhattan and is chairwoman of The Center for Arts Education, a nonprofit group that works to improve Arts education in the public schools. She is divorced from Connecticut hedge fund manager Donald Sussman. She founded the not-for-profit foundation, the Illumination Fund, which serves the children of New York City with an emphasis on arts education.
- Forbes: The World's Billionaires - Joan Tisch November 2017
- "Howard N. Hyman in the 1940 Census". Archives.
- Arnold, Laurence (2 November 2017). "Joan Tisch, Billionaire Matriarch of Loews Kin, Dies at 90". Bloomberg.
- "Marie Ziegler in the 1940 Census". Archives.
- New York Times: "Candlelight Wedding Joins 2 Billionaire Families" By GEORGIA DULLEA April 19, 1988
- New York Times: "Preston Robert Tisch, Owner of Loews Hotels and Giants, Dies" By DOUGLAS MARTIN November 16, 2005
- The New York Observer: The Tisch Family by Anna Schneider-Mayerson December 18, 2006
- New York Observer: "Laurie Tisch Illuminates Children’s Lives" By Ken Kurson October 24, 2013
- Roberts, Sam (2 November 2017). "Joan Tisch, Patron of the Arts and AIDS Fight, Dies at 90". The New York Times.
- Rock, Tom (2 November 2017). "Joan Tisch dies; matriarch of Giants' co-owning family was 90". Newsday. Retrieved 2017-10-02.